• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How's everyone's Rhino

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My Rhino has started charging the food bowl when I set it in and he will bite the bowl sometime. Today I left my hand close (in a fist) and he bit me, and ran off. I left my hand there and he came over to it and rubbed up against it and then turned and bit me again. He is definitely one of my weirdest lizards.

herpgirl2510

Actually yesterday he was high up in his enclsoure sleeping when he woke up he had a hard time turning around to come down I put my hand under his front feet and he went on my forearm I carefully lowered him in the enclosure and out him on his basking log. Usually that would never happen. Later in the day while free roaming he went behind the washer and dryer I left him there because I cannot reach him and did not want to get it trying. He made his way to the dryer hose so I again lifted him onto my forearm then he crawled up my arm and sat aross my back shoulders and stayed there while I walked to his enclosure I was very nervous bebause his nail are so dangerously long like razors. He stayed there for aout 3 minutes then decided to pee down my back so I put him in his cage. Kind of gross but at least we seem to e onding a little it. He has gotten very big and bulky he has been eating like crazy lately but he does have a sweet tooth for bluberries he will eat those out of my hand now. I tried to clip his nails when he was sleeping as soon as I lifted his hide he was waiting with his mouth open so I decided against it. They really need to e cut badly.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
james.w said:
My Rhino has started charging the food bowl when I set it in and he will bite the bowl sometime. Today I left my hand close (in a fist) and he bit me, and ran off. I left my hand there and he came over to it and rubbed up against it and then turned and bit me again. He is definitely one of my weirdest lizards.

A rhino i had about two years ago would charge my hand when i would go near his basking area,i think its them saying hey this is my area or food i'm in charge here etc,being territorial,just my opinion.
herpgirl2510 said:
Actually yesterday he was high up in his enclsoure sleeping when he woke up he had a hard time turning around to come down I put my hand under his front feet and he went on my forearm I carefully lowered him in the enclosure and out him on his basking log. Usually that would never happen. Later in the day while free roaming he went behind the washer and dryer I left him there because I cannot reach him and did not want to get it trying. He made his way to the dryer hose so I again lifted him onto my forearm then he crawled up my arm and sat aross my back shoulders and stayed there while I walked to his enclosure I was very nervous bebause his nail are so dangerously long like razors. He stayed there for aout 3 minutes then decided to pee down my back so I put him in his cage. Kind of gross but at least we seem to e onding a little it. He has gotten very big and bulky he has been eating like crazy lately but he does have a sweet tooth for bluberries he will eat those out of my hand now. I tried to clip his nails when he was sleeping as soon as I lifted his hide he was waiting with his mouth open so I decided against it. They really need to e cut badly.

Again i still would'nt try to stress him out to much,he sounds like he's coming along alittle better with time,let him come to you i think that might help him calm down.I can see him being aggressive when you woke him up he prolly got scared and thought you were a predator,and waking him up out of his hide doesnt help cause now hes going to lose your trust.Try cutting his nails when his basking lights first go on when hes not warmed up,have your husband,or whatever give you a hand,try a towel of its head that might calm him down.

herpgirl2510

It would be impossible to do awake. He would literally have a heart attack he would be terrified plus my husband will not handle any of my lizards so I would have to do it alone. I usually sneak in on my lizards when they are sleepy so I figured I would try it with him.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yeah teguboy I agree he is trying to show me that he is the boss of his cage.

RobK.

james.w said:

When mine use to try to bite me i put my finger in his mouth and after doing that 8-10 times he stopped . last week was the first time i gave him a bath in a long long time and he didn't even open his mouth . He use to always try to bite me when i picked him up . When i first got mine he was very very aggressive . I have a lot of free time , so i spend hours a day sitting in his room watching him as he watches me . he is very very curious and will come to the glass and look at me . Do you feed yours at all by hand ? mine really calmed down when i started doing that . I started with 12 stick and moved closer down the stick with my hand every other week ,until i could hand feed him . find a fruit he can't resist and use it , Mine really liked banana . Feeding mine that way was the biggest help in calming mine down . That giver of food thing worked with mine. he favourite now is papaya .

teguboy77

5 Year Member
I dont know about the whole letting your rhino bite you thing,i guess if that worked for you robk then thats great,but i'm guess james rhino is alot bigger then when he first got him and letting him bit you might not be the greatest idea at there size now just my opinion,not saying anybodies wrong.Feeding him bye hand could help tame him down or let him know your not a threat,i to sit in front of my rhino's cage from time to time for 20 to 30 minutes and just watching him eat cleaning the cage seemed to help with mine,i still think every rhino's going to be a bit different as far as gaining trust and taming down.:)

teguboy77

5 Year Member
I've been bitten by a 20'' rhino i had two years ago on my finger and mine drew blood.Thats why i said it might not be such a great idea unless you wore a glove,but i still wouldnt try it with my rhino know.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Another idea is were a glove and put alittle rubbing alcohol on it and when he goes to bit it he'll realize it dont taste good and after doing it a couple times he'll get the hint just a idea.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I made some changes to his enclosure and took out the substrate today. Let's see if this has any affect on him.

herpgirl2510

He is about 28" he bit the skin but it did break the skin . I went to move and he held on so I just stood there and he released me. It left a diamond shape bite looked like a serated cut and only small drops of blood came out of the little teeth holes. It was nothing ccompared to some green iguana bites I have seen. I am quite sure he was giving me a warning that he was scared it was not aggressive biting. It was my fault I thought if I loosened the grip he would settle. I was trying to clean his cage and he got out and I could not wait until he went back in his enclosure that is why I picked him up. Oliver will open his mouth at me but never lunge his mood is very easy to read. His nails are the killer even to have him sit on my arms is so painful I always end up bleeding even when he is just moving on my arm. I have no idea what you do aout that he has slate floors. Luckily I am overed in tattoos or else I would have alot of visible scarring from it.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
I'm sure if he really wanted to bite you he would of did more damage,luckly he didnt.His nail maybe take him to a herp vet,maybe you and the vet could cut his nails so they dont claw your arms all up.I'm lucky with my rhino his temperment is great so far,i cut his nails with np,but i always cut all my lizards nails,he dont bite,the other rhino's i've had did but after a while they just stopped.I still think every rhino is going to be a bit different or more territorial there still a wild animal,but were captive born bye captive parents and good breeders.:)

herpgirl2510

I am sure your right he did not want to but he did. I have never had a completely unhandleale lizard to the point that cleaning his cage really stresses him out. I am hoping with time I cannot imagine living with a lizard that gets as large and heavy as he does and having him never come around. A vet would have to sedate him and I don't want to do that.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Hopefully he does come around and i think he will,i would'nt have a vet sedate him either but there has to be a way to trim his nails i've cut bigger lizards nails, that didnt like getting there nails trimmed and i got it done not saying it was easy but not impossible either.

herpgirl2510

I wish I was bigger like a guy ut I am 5 2" I don't know how to hold his head so he won't bite me and his tail so he doesn't whip me my husband will not. Plus he is nervous of me as it is I would hate to totally traumatize him. I should wear gloves but I have trouble doing this I like my hands to be free. I did spend awhile on the floor with him today. He really wanted to come out he goes back on his own but it takes hours so I have to be home all day to let him out. He was really checking me out from afar then he would walk by and lick my big toe I was a bit nervous at first I have had my toe bitten before by my tegu. He stayed by me and would go a few feet away then come back close to me. Two times he went behind my back and once over my legs. I did not even try and touch him. I ould tell he wanted to be near me but on his own terms. That made me feel good I think slowly ut surely he will trust me.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
I understand its probably easier for a guy which is true to cut a rhino iguanas nails,is your husband scared of lizards,cause if he helped you there might be a chance you could cut his nails i guesss lol.I would wait till his light first come on so he's not warmed up then try if i were you,then hold behind his jowls and at his hind legs while your husband cut them just a idea.Sounds like he's starting to make alittle progress with you just watch your toe he doesnt bite it lol,that would suck.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Oh lol,my girlfriend is ok with my reptiles,just not into it like me,she will feed them if i work late or something but as far as everything else i rather take care of it cause i know the way i like my reptiles taken care of,if i ask her to help she would with np,she likes petting my rhino,she likes him alot he's a good rhino.

RobK.

I would not le a rhino bite me on purpose that is under 15'' max that for sure i only did that when mine was under 15'' no way i would let him to bite me now that he's 25'' . i am glad he no longer tries .

At what age should you trim their nails ? do you start young so they are use to you ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980