• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How's everyone's Rhino

teguboy77

5 Year Member
RobK. said:
mine was laying next to the glass , so i taped him at 24 3/4 '' . man these guys grow fast .

Darn your rhino is growing fast too,yes they grow faster than people think.How old is your rhino again rob?

herpgirl2510

Hopeully I got a semi accurate measurement he is about 25" but could be off by an 1". Trying to put a string up against him is close to impossible :).

RobK.

teguboy77 said:
RobK. said:
mine was laying next to the glass , so i taped him at 24 3/4 '' . man these guys grow fast .

Darn your rhino is growing fast too,yes they grow faster than people think.How old is your rhino again rob?

from what i undertand , he Hatched out in September of 2010 .

mine has a basking rock that is 21' across and i noticed he was hanging off the ends so i thought i would tape him when he gave me the chance .
I don't think my rhino's cage is going to last him as long as i thought . I may end up making him a new one by next spring .

i ment 21'' not 21' :)

teguboy77

5 Year Member
So he is 21'' or 24''? Yeah i'm going to have to build my rhino a cage to as he is getting to big,prolly by the end of this year,i might do 8x5x5 for him not sure yet.:)

RobK.

teguboy77 said:
So he is 21'' or 24''? Yeah i'm going to have to build my rhino a cage to as he is getting to big,prolly by the end of this year,i might do 8x5x5 for him not sure yet.:)

I was talking about his basking rock being 21'' not 21' like i posted

he's 24 3/4 ''

teguboy77

5 Year Member
RobK. said:
teguboy77 said:

I was talking about his basking rock being 21'' not 21' like i posted

he's 24 3/4 ''
Oh ok sorry wasnt sure what you meant lol,your rhino is getting big:)

RobK.

Time for more photos , i will start . I would love to see you latest photos .

Rony1.jpg

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Here is a picture of my rhino after i cleaned his cage,he's now 24'' long at 10 months old darn they grow like weeds.:)

RobK.

teguboy77 said:
Here is a picture of my rhino after i cleaned his cage,he's now 24'' long at 10 months old darn they grow like weeds.:)

NICE !!

I am not so sure i like mine growing so fast . ??

i replace the carpet with linoleum that looks like rocks . Very easy to clean and looks cool . I do have one peace of carpet that sets in the middle , i can spray it down with water to help with humidity . It keep it at 50-60% all day with out a humidifier going . BUT we have a swamp cooler going up stairs . This winter i will need to turn on his fogger again . I also have a smaller peace of carpet where he poops , it makes it easy to clean .

http://www.youtube.com/user/rgkempton#p/u/0/LMGelFTViKc

teguboy77

5 Year Member
I dont mind mine growing at a fast rate,i dont have much of a choice he eats well and thats telling me i'm doing something rite,i feed him mixed green and Mazuri tortoise chow daily and he loves it.And from the sounds of things everybodies is doing well.

herpgirl2510

I am thinking it is time to rehome mine. He just is not getting any better after the dog incident that happened at least 6 weeks ago. He is staring to get large and bulky and he is completely unhandleable. I cannot even clean his cage. He runs like carzy when I come nearhim. He will open his mouth if I try to pet him. I can now feed blueberries to him out of my hand but I think having the dogs around is not helping. This is very upsetting to me because he was great before this. I also do not know anyone around me who could take him because I will not ship him. Any ideas I have an open floor plan in my house so unless I stuck him alone upstairs the dogs see him. Am I making his life worse or is this how they are. He is coming up on 2 years old. I work everyday with him but his nails are so overgrown I have scars covering my hands and arms form him they are not just surface scars either.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Its hard to say if he'll make a turn around being the dogs are in the house and they scared him pretty good.Again every rhino iguana is going to be different,mine is fine with anybody to pet no matter who it is,but my dog didnt scare the crap out of him too.Its up to you as far as if you keep him or rehome him.I'd move him to the room by himself and then see how he does if it were me.

herpgirl2510

He is in the room alone but my living room kitchen family room are a ig u shaped with large doorways seperating them so no closing off the rooms. He did eat out of my hand this week for the first time so that is progress but evrytime I put my hand in even to put in his bowl of food he flinches from, my hand and runs. When he sees tha dogs he does not have a nervous reaction. He walked right up to their kennel the other day even though they were barking( they are all under 10 pounds one is 3). I know he is mad that he cannot free roam but the last time I let him and I tried to put him back wrapped in a towel I relaxed my grib and he bit my arm. Any ideas how to handle him He sees me all day, I feed him from my hands, stroke him when he allows but we are not making much progress. Maybe he was not tame like I was told and it is like I am starting with a large hatchling. He has been eating like a pig and went through a large growth spurt so he would be pretty dangerous to force handle.

RobK.

i still can't hold mine . Alos Mine hates my dogs even when they go by the basement window . i would not hold yours or pick him up for a while and give him space . just let him eat from you hand and clean his cage and feed him , move slow as you do that . also mine is calmer when i talk to him as i mess with his cage . just keep feeding him treats by hand and give him space is what i would do . I have had to back off many times with mine and give him more space . I was told mine was somewhat tame too , i think thats a easier way to sell one IMO . mine took months to calm down and even let me in the room . he would freeze the minute he saw me and not move for hours . Your could have been tame but once it got a new home and with dogs , then its back to ground zero .

teguboy77

5 Year Member
My rhino is ok with me taking him out of his encloser,but at the same time i dont hold him,i'll put him on my sholder when i soak him but thats it.I do let him free roam my room while i'm watching him.My rhino will jump to the top of his cage to get out when i clean his cage lol.I think leaving him your rhino some time to settle could help alot as metioned before,also every rhino's temperment is going to be different no matter what.My rhino honestly is pretty mellow and i'm glad hes that way being i never really hold him.

herpgirl2510

Oh that is good to know I figured everyone was able to hold their's. He does enjoy when I rub the crest on his head and his side. Then it is like all of a sudden he realizes he is enjoying it and runs to the other side of the enclosure :). I don't ever want to rehome him it is just some days you feel so frustrated and need to vent especially with an animal that requires so much patience. I am just going to keep doing what I am doing and vent sometimes on here it helps. Thanks teguboy for all your insight it helps.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
See my rhino is pretty good with me petting him,or my girlfriend petting him,anybody can pet him and he fine,but when i do pick him up i put him on my arm and he climbs on too my shoulder and he likes sitting there lol.I never try to push myself on my rhino,i clean his cage and put him in another cage or soak him while i'm cleaning his cage,i soak my rhino twice a week to keep him clean.Another thing i do is after i put him back in his encloser and he's feeding i'll just sit there and watch him,and he'll watch me lol,he's starting to get everytime he's see's me its either dinner time or he thinks he's going to get taken out of his cage.Now i do let mine free roam here and there but i dont over do anything with mine.Everybody going to have ideas that work for them with there rhino,i know the one thing that seems to work with rhino's is dont force your self on them they take time to feel your trust,and hand feeding could help gain your rhino's trust.I really think each rhino will be different.Also herpgirl2510 your welcome for the insight,you to have great insight as well.:)

RobK.

77 is right . It has to be on thier terms . Sometimes it feels like that old saying, three steps forward and two back or even three forward and five back . do everything on his/her terms .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan