• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How's everyone's Rhino

herpgirl2510

Maro1 said:
Well I am glad that is working for you. I focus more on the issue of "cleanliness" than "natural". I think it is better for the animal and makes it easier to live with the other people in my house :)
Seems like you were.

Maro1

You have to try not to read so much into letters on a screen. Anything can be insinuated. I could go back to your post earlier and think you meant something by this...

"True but I keep earthworms etc in my soil so it helps keep the dirt very clean. Obviously not the exact same but closer than tile Wink My rain is 2x weekly misting and the sun is my uvb and halogen bulbs that dry it out.

It's just an exchange of thoughts and ideas. Discussion back and forth, good , bad, better , best. It doesn't really make or break my day. It's the internet not the real world. Nothing intended! Nothing at all. No big deal.

Maro1

teguboy77

5 Year Member
I really didnt see anybody trying to insult anybody,just a difference in opinion,and that herpgirl2510 liked to use dirt mix for her rhino,and mario1 was saying he liked tile as he thought it was more cleaner for him,this is a forum and there's going to be differences.My personal opinion if i kept my rhino outside i would use sand dirt mix,since i keep mine inside i will use some kind of liner since i think its easier to keep clean than dirt/sand mix.But everybodies going to have different ways they do things for there rhino's.

herpgirl2510

Fine Maybe I am more sensitive because I am a girl and guys don't always focus on whatthey are saying or how it may come off to someone else. I was referring to the post I quoted above it most certainly implies he focuses on cleanliness rather than natural. He is the one who said it like that not me.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
I wasnt trying to take sides,even if you are a girl you have every rite to give your opinion just as much as anybody else.He did say he likes cleanliness over natural,but thats the way he likes to keep his rhino,he never said it was wrong cause you keep your rhino on dirt or natural so its just a difference in opinion really.:)

RobK.

Just not a fan of any substrate he could digest . But as long as the substrate is clean it doesn't matter what you use . I just like carpet but may change , The one peace of tile i have in mine is very very easy to clean . With carpet there is nothing he can eat . Mine poops on rocks more than anywhere else ,so the carpet stays spotless . I have also been looking at Linoleum , but don't like the patterns i have seen . My Rhino loves to lay on the tile after leaving his basking area . I would love to have a cage with tile floor grouted and with a drain in the middle , that would be the best set up IMO . I will be putting Linoleum in mine and peaces of tile as soon as i find a pattern i like .

Maro1

RobK. said:
I would love to have a cage with tile floor grouted and with a drain in the middle , that would be the best set up IMO .

I saw a Macaw cage like this once. It was in a house with a large outdoor window access. It could easily be washed down. Cool idea.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
That would be a good idea if your using tile a drain in the floor,i'll still stick with pond liner myself.My rhino likes to poop on his basking stone too lol.

herpgirl2510

Top soil is easily digested no different than keeping a tegu on mulch or a monitor on top soil/sand. My guy is not a hatchling though he is 21 months old.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Top soil is ok for your rhino,but it would be a pain in the butt bringing in new soil when cleaning my rhino's cage being i keep him indoors,i like a liner or tile and again i guess we all have our own opinion on how we keep our rhino's.

herpgirl2510

Teguboy do you keep your tegus outdoors? Mine are inside maybe that is why I am used to the substrate. I was concerned about humidity his other enclosure had no substrate he was having trouble shedding. Within two days of being in there his shed was falling off. I am in mass so we have a pretty low humidity except in the summer but not all the time. When I turn on the heat it gets around 40% in my house The uv bulbs drops the humidity about 5-10%. My bearded dragon enclosures that have slate the humidity is at 36% today with the ac.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
No i keep my rhino in my basement,but in october i'm moving and he'll be kept in my spare bedroom,but inside is were i keep my rhino i live in nj,in october i'll be in pa.Humidity here in nj is high in the summer,but my rhino being kept in the basement my humidity is 50% and my sheds are fine,also i soak my rhino to keep him clean twice a week that also helps him shed i'm sure to.Right now my guy is on news paper,and i clean his cage everyday,then after his cage cleaning i feed him.But my opinion i dont really want the mess of dirt being in my house its a pain,and when he gets bigger that would be alot of dirt to keep clean for a adult in my opinion so i'm going to buld him a cage in the next couple of months 8x5x5 and i'm going with pond liner.He will be able to free roam his roam when i'm watching him.But if dirt works for you use it there's nothing wrong with that.:)

herpgirl2510

I wish I would give Oliver a bath he really won't let me anywhere near him. I think changing the enclosure has him pretty stressed out but I have never been able to handle him

teguboy77

5 Year Member
My rhino gets soaks mainly cause he walks threw his food dish,poop,etc.So i give him a soak and that keeps him clean and helps shed,but you dont have to i just like too lol.Wow he wont even let you near him,see my rhino is fine when i go near him,i cant pet him feed him greens by hand with no problem,but i guess every rhino's going to be different.If i were you i would try to hand feed him and see how he does with that,might not be so nervous around you,just my opinion.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Well yesterday i measured my rhino and hes 22'' and 10 months old man they grow fast i'm guess by the time he's a year in october he'll be 24'' or bigger.

herpgirl2510

This makes me wonder if mine is younger he is about 25-26" and supposedly going to be 2 soon. My rhino was fine with me petting him and he would sit on my hand if I had it in the cage. Once the incident happened with the dogs he has been like this. I am not sure what is going to happen because my dogs for some reason are really excited by him. He has never taken anything I have fed him by hand I have tried all the tricks I know that my dogs are a huge part of the problem but they aren't going anywhere.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
I guess he could be a bit younger,i keep track of my rhino's growth as he gets older and i know mine is ten months old cause thats what the breeder told me when i bought it off him,he was born october 2010 which would make him 10 months old.This rhino grew fast hopefully he keeps growing that way lol,he eats like a darn horse lol.I think he's going to be a big boy.Its a shame your dogs makes your rhino nervous,mine i cut his nails,hand feed him,pet him and he's really good about it.

herpgirl2510

The person I bought him from said he was 18 months but he could not remember where he got it. I put im back in his old enclosure he was getting really nasty opening his mouth to bite, racing away from me like he was terrified.. Since it seems like you guys keep yours at 50% I took out the sustrate and put in slate. Since I put him back in his enclosure which is aout 4 feet off the ground he lets me pet him no problem. He acts more like a green iguana he leaps all over the place when he is out and loves to climb up high.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Wow he seemed to calm down a bit in the old cage,i guess being higher up makes him feel safer,maybe now you can get him to calm down more.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029