• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How's everyone's Rhino

teguboy77

5 Year Member
I start as young,cause with age,time they'll get more use to it in my opinion,i also try to use paving stones or some kind of stone etc,cause that also helps alittle with the nails and good basking spot lol.Yeah at the size that most of our rhino's are now over 20'' + i dont want mine biting me and mine never has tried,and dont want him too lol.My guy now is 24'' and he is really chill were he'll climb out of his cage onto my arm and i pet him as he sits there when i go to feed or clean his cage,thats his new thing trying to climb out of his cage whenever i'm around him smart lizards rhino's are lol...

herpgirl2510

Mine is about 26-28". He is so strong it amazes me sometimes he is much more difficult to handle when he does not want to be than my 42" 13+ pound tegu.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Yeah they are strong for sure,mine is pretty chill most of the time,hes the most docile and mellow rhino i've ever owned so far,i only had one really flighty rhino about 5 years ago,flighty wasnt the word let me tell you lol always being a spaz no matter what even cleaning his cage and never handling just a spaz.

herpgirl2510

So is anyone's super active lately. Oliver has been leaping all over his cage. I try to let him out but sometimes I can't. He seems to want to get down when my dogs of all things are out. He seems super curious about the dogs. He is so funny when he free roams he leaps off the tables and couches he just loves to climb.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
My rhino is the same as far as active,he's pretty active most of the time.He's the most active when he see's me bye his cage then he's really active lol,he knows its either dinner time or clean his cage time so he roams around his cage cause he thinks hes going to eat or get taken out to clean his cage,he'll jump and try to get out and climb on my arm and he'll sit while i pet him smart lizards they are lol.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Well again every rhino is going to be different,and from what your dogs did to him it might take a bit longer for him to trust you more.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Again its up to you if you feel like waiting and seeing if he mellows out,he might just take a while to calm down.Mines not much smaller than yours and it wouldnt be fun if he was aggressive towards me either but i've delt with aggressive large lizards and i can deal with it,but again it wouldnt be fun,and you have children and a nasty lizard might not work for you.

So i had my guy out for a cage cleaning and he was soaking in the tub and he's now 25'' and 11 months old they just grow and grow lol.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Took some new pictures of my boy after his soak,he's now 25'' at 10 months old.You can see him letting me pet him with no problem.Enjoy.......

herpgirl2510

Oliver is quite a bit longer and much bulkier than your guy if he was little like that he would be easier to handle oliver is close to 2 years old. I let him roam around and he will sit right next to me ,crawl over me ,and hang next to me in in the window, but he gets furious when I have to put him back which I always do with gloves because of his nails. I don't worry about my son because he has only tried to bite when I have had to handle him .When he tries he does it so slowly it is like he does not want to bite but is showing me he his annoyed. I remember talking to Tom Crutchfield and he said 2 years is the magic age and they should not be handled before that but sometimes finding the patience is hard. I sometimes forget that people with real friendly ones when they are young are not the norm just lucky. I think he likes my presence sometimes but completely on his terms for example sometimes he likes the crest on his head rubs other times he gives me the look of death.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Well little i dont know about alot longer being you said yours is 28'' and mines 25 and only 10 months old,yeah yours should be bulkier yours is two mines not even a year so i guess yours is a bit bigger,you act like yours is 3ft or something?I just dont think you can handle your rhino bottom line,whatever the size.Again not to be bragging but i've had alot of reptiles and luck i dont think so but every rhino will be different,also all your reptiles seem to nip as your post say so either i'm super luck or you have no luck,didnt your tegu bite your husband,you,your son ok lol.But whatever do what works for you.

herpgirl2510

I figured you would have this response when I said your rhino was smaller than yours it was not meant to e insulting mine is 2 years old yours is 10 months obviously the size and strength are different. Why would you say I cannot handle him? I was told my tom cruthfield that it is very typical not to be able to handle at all for 2 years. I come here for support when I am feeling frustrated. I have kept reptiles on and off for 22 years how long have you been at it. When I said bulkier I meant weight wise he is twice as bulky as yours which means more muscle and more strength I am 5 2" so yes when I try to handle my iguana and he is trying to bite and whipping his tail it is difficult to restrain him without being forceful.You got lucky with your rhino I am pretty sure people who have only had their rhinos for under 4 montghs like I have get the same response from theirs especially when they have a trauma. It is like my extreme he is only a few inches shorter than my B&W Tonka but 1/3 the bulk. My tegus bit toes which probably means they thought they were food that is not a reflection on my reptile keeping abilities. I also keep a savannah who is very moody and does whip and hiss when she is in the mood. Again this is very normal behavior for a healthy active full grown monitor who is being kept under the proper conditions. . I find your post extremely offensive I think if more people were honest about their experiences they would tell stories like this especially when you have owned the animals for less than 6 months. Take your I am better than you attitude elsewhere.
Post some pictures of you holding your rhino since you are so lucky as to be able to handle him so young. Here is pic of me petting my iguana without a problem picking him up however and holding him is another story.
rhinopet.jpg

RobK.

herpgirl2510 said:
I figured you would have this response when I said your rhino was smaller than yours it was not meant to e insulting mine is 2 years old yours is 10 months obviously the size and strength are different. Why would you say I cannot handle him? I was told my tom cruthfield that it is very typical not to be able to handle at all for 2 years. I come here for support when I am feeling frustrated. I have kept reptiles on and off for 22 years how long have you been at it. When I said bulkier I meant weight wise he is twice as bulky as yours which means more muscle and more strength I am 5 2" so yes when I try to handle my iguana and he is trying to bite and whipping his tail it is difficult to restrain him without being forceful.You got lucky with your rhino I am pretty sure people who have only had their rhinos for under 4 montghs like I have get the same response from theirs especially when they have a trauma. It is like my extreme he is only a few inches shorter than my B&W Tonka but 1/3 the bulk. My tegus bit toes which probably means they thought they were food that is not a reflection on my reptile keeping abilities. I also keep a savannah who is very moody and does whip and hiss when she is in the mood. Again this is very normal behavior for a healthy active full grown monitor who is being kept under the proper conditions. . I find your post extremely offensive I think if more people were honest about their experiences they would tell stories like this especially when you have owned the animals for less than 6 months. Take your I am better than you attitude elsewhere.
Post some pictures of you holding your rhino since you are so lucky as to be able to handle him so young. Here is pic of me petting my iguana without a problem picking him up however and holding him is another story.
rhinopet.jpg

I thing at some point they stop growing so fast in lenght and start bulking up . I thinks your is there . His head is longer than your had is wide . I like rhinos because of their bulky looks . If mine only get 30''-/+ that would be great with me , BUT if you look at Fred or Wilma , i don't thik mine is going to be small . Growning real fast is not always a good think , i know, i grew 6'' out of high school , 5'9'' -6'5'' inless than a year and my bones hurt like crazy during at that time . :(

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Well never said i was better than you,i read what you post so thanks.Hey there's a person on this site that saw how my rhino is in person he was holding him with np.I will post a picture of me holding him with np wow.I ve kept reptiles since i was 11 years old now 34 so 23 years thats how long i've been at it.Never said you did kept your reptiles wrong so were you get that frpm idk.I'm not going to argue over who's rhino is bigger,calmer so i wont waste my time again find what you want offensive ok .:blush:
Not only that i been on the site longer then you so i dont have to go anywere since your just a regular member and not anybody special to tell me were to go.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supportibi