• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How's everyone's Rhino

herpgirl2510

I haven't seen anyone who has them post updates so let's hear them.Most know of my dogs and the incident with my rhino of cours he is still skittish and I cannot handle him much. Part of the problem is his nails are like razors he when he tries to get away I am left all bloody. I can't believe the scars I have. However he is getting big he went from barely eating to going through bowls of greens a day. He is going through his first shed with me and has gotten much bulkier. I cannot measure him or weigh him beause he would go crazy . He des stay ery calm in his cage and most days he is ine with me petting him. I just put him in a 7.5x3x3 enclosure maybe all the extra space will mellow him out. He has been roaming all over the enclosure so he really like the extra room.
Here's my little brat Oliver
074.jpg

076.jpg

teguboy77

5 Year Member
My rhino's doing really well also,hes 21'' at 9 months old eats like a pig all the time as well.Will post more pictures of mine tomorrow.Mine is pretty good when i handle him when cleaning his cage or letting him free roam hes not flighty at all,he's alittle shy around the dog but he will hiss if my dog comes near him lol, my dog doesnt even care lol.:)
herpgirl2510 said:
I haven't seen anyone who has them post updates so let's hear them.Most know of my dogs and the incident with my rhino of cours he is still skittish and I cannot handle him much. Part of the problem is his nails are like razors he when he tries to get away I am left all bloody. I can't believe the scars I have. However he is getting big he went from barely eating to going through bowls of greens a day. He is going through his first shed with me and has gotten much bulkier. I cannot measure him or weigh him beause he would go crazy . He des stay ery calm in his cage and most days he is ine with me petting him. I just put him in a 7.5x3x3 enclosure maybe all the extra space will mellow him out. He has been roaming all over the enclosure so he really like the extra room.
Here's my little brat Oliver
074.jpg

076.jpg

Your rhino's looking very healthy and is getting big keep up the great work.:D

herpgirl2510

Thanks he must be close to 28"-30" he is 20 months. My dogs go crazy for him ecause he goes crazy when they want to sniff him it gets their huntng instincts going. One day he will be three times there size.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Thank god my dog has been raised around my lizards and hes good with them,very calm around them.My rhino is really coming along well hes growing really good again eats very well etc.I will be getting another off rob ehrig in 2012 cant wait.I really like rhino iguanas they are my favorite lizard then tegus.Will post new pictures later.

frost

1,000+ Post Club
all this talk of rhinos is making me jealous. very good looking little guy u got there btw.looks like hes getting big fast.

RobK.

Mine is doing well . He is growing like crazy and no longer runs away from me at all . He just shuts his eyes if he ever feels threatened and when the threat is gone , he just opens his eyes and goes on like nothing ever happened . I still don't pick him up unless i need to move him to clean . He's really calm , never gets upset or runs anymore . He sure loves eating fruit out of my hand .

this video is over a month old and he 's way bigger

http://www.youtube.com/user/rgkempton#p/u/1/BDah-pQZwH0

herpgirl2510

My dogs are fine with the tegus but Oliver spazes out when he sees them so they get excited. Your lucky yours does not run I would say 70% mine does ut he did have a traumati experience so he will come around. Plus he just changed enclosures so he is stressed.

Joshjack90

i want one so bad! i saw a fully grown female at the last reptile show i went to and i got to hold her, and i just fell in love!!!

herpgirl2510

They are really challenging when it comes to waiting for them to calm down. My guy was supposed to be tame but he wasn't. Then the isssue with my dog.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Well they can be challenging but again every rhino is going to be alittle different,a rhino changing homes and being in a different environment takes time to get use to.From what i've heard they take a while to settle down like till two years old.It takes time and patience and i'm sure it will pay off.And i'm sure some will tame down faster than others.My rhino is pretty calm most of the time,he doesnt run when i go into his cage or go to pick him up.

Here is a couple of pictures of him after he ate,he always makes a mess with his food lol.:)

herpgirl2510

Wow maro1 he is a big boy. How old was he when he calmed dwn. My guy wll let me pet him but I cannot lift him at all.
Teguboy yours looks great too.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Wow everybodies rhino's seem to be doing great good to see and hear.Maro1 your rhino is looking great,it looks to me as if hes at least 2 years old big boy, herpgirl2510 thank you,your rhino will settle down more with time i'm sure.:)

Maro1

Mine is around 3.5. Years old. James I went without substrate. He spends most of his time on the rock work. Sleeps under it at night. The tiles are self adhesive vinyl. Everyday it just takes a few paper towels and a spray and wipe to keep it clean. I am working on a tree limb base piece to pout in the far corner. He is very interested in all my movements around him Being he is so big he is pretty calm. I also take him outside I have a large outdoor enclosure. The indoor cage you see him in is 6' x 3' x 3'. I also let him out to roam in the house but he pretty much just perches somewhere in view of a window and stays there. Not a real active animal like Tegu's

Maro1

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Nice looking rhinos everyone! Keep updating as they grow, I like to see their horns develop. :)

Maro1

I'm hoping to pick up another Rhino this year from Rob and maybe a Cuban rock as well. Anyone have Cubans?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam