• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How's everyone's Rhino

teguboy77

5 Year Member
I will be building my guy a new cage soon,might do a 8x5x5 and i to will be letting my rhino out to free roam threw the day.

herpgirl2510

I cannot wait until my guy can free roam more. I let him but getting him back into the enclosure is a nightmare I have to wrap him in a towel beause he tries to bite and scratch. Dogs messed everything up

teguboy77

5 Year Member
I let my rhino free roam my roam and he loves it,i let him do it for about 30 minutes 2 to 3 times a week.Today i cut his nails and he does ok with it.Now his new thing is he's learning i'm his way out of his cage so if i'm sitting in front of his cage he'll sit right in front of me and walk back and forth till i leave smart lizards lol.I think your rhino will be ok,it might take alittle more time but he'll come around.:)

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Teguboy, how often do you handle your Rhino? I'm trying to get an idea of how much I should attempt to handle him to try and get him to calm down a bit.

herpgirl2510

He has been free roaming for hours he is still trying to get in his old enclosure I feel bad I converted it to two bearded dragon enclosure. It is kind of sad his enclsoure is across the room so hopefully he will actch on. Getting him back in his new enlosure can be challenging. He used to jump right back into his old enclosure I changed him to a much longer and shorter enclsoure bause would spend hours sitting up on the top shelf in the old one. He does more exploring now in his new one.

herpgirl2510

I have a substrate in mine dirt/sand. There a are alot of half logs and fieldstone so he can move around easily and not touh the substrate seems like tile would be very low humidity like in my beardie enlsoure.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
james.w said:
Teguboy, how often do you handle your Rhino? I'm trying to get an idea of how much I should attempt to handle him to try and get him to calm down a bit.

I let him free roam after i clean his cage for 30 minutes or so,or after i give him a soak like twice a week,but i make sure my dogs away and so its just me and him.I also sit in front of his cage for a bit every night,well try every night when hes eating,and i can pet him with no problem,i guess just alittle interaction,and him seeing me while he eats shows him i'm not threat i guess thats what works for me.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Man, if I let mine free roam he would dissapear. He is a fast little fella, and doesn't like me at all. I guess I'll just have to be patient.

herpgirl2510

His new enlosure is in the family room now so he sees me hanging out on the omputer and watching TV. He loves wathing my husband my son and I hopefully this will make him more comfortable. Since he has moved he has wanted to be out of his enlosure he will sit near me on the couch and look out the window but I leave him alone. Ignoring him has stopped him from running as much when I walk by.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
james.w said:
Man, if I let mine free roam he would dissapear. He is a fast little fella, and doesn't like me at all. I guess I'll just have to be patient.

If you have a room that is closed off like the bathroom you can sit in there with him for a bit like 20 minutes or so,and that will get him more use to you little by little.I just started letting mine roam free with me watching him in my room and again every rhino is alittle different,the rhino i had before was alittle more flighty but with working with him he got better in time.I guess time and patients is what its going to take,there still young too.

Maro1

I prefer no substrate for several reasons. 1. If you have a younger Rhino and it poops a lot now. You won't believe the amount when they are close to full grown. 2. Iguanas also have a fair amount of liquid waste. This in dirt or some other substrate will quickly fowl the material and you will not be immediately aware of it. Thus your iguana can be in what looks to be a clean environment when it really is not. I also let mine out of the cage even though he doesn't roam much.

herpgirl2510

Oliver only uses the bathroom 1x daily it is also a dream compared to my tegu's poops. He goes on the same rock that I have to always wash off. I figure when people keep them outdoors they are on dirt and grass so might as well make it as natural as possible for them. The only lizard I keep without a substrate is my bearded dragons.

Maro1

herpgirl2510 said:
Oliver only uses the bathroom 1x daily it is also a dream compared to my tegu's poops. He goes on the same rock that I have to always wash off. I figure when people keep them outdoors they are on dirt and grass so might as well make it as natural as possible for them. The only lizard I keep without a substrate is my bearded dragons.

I understand your thinking but outside has it's own cleaning system. Wind, Rain and hot sunshine. Indoors act like a sponge and holds it all. So natural indoors is not equal to natural outdoors.

Nice video Rob! He is really growing nice and calming down.

herpgirl2510

True but I keep earthworms etc in my soil so it helps keep the dirt very clean. Obviously not the exact same but closer than tile ;) My rain is 2x weekly misting and the sun is my uvb and halogen bulbs that dry it out.

Your your guy looks so much like oliver.

Maro1

Well I am glad that is working for you. I focus more on the issue of "cleanliness" than "natural". I think it is better for the animal and makes it easier to live with the other people in my house :)

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Yeah i myself will be using some kind of liner,pond liner i might go with,i could go with tile my father works for a tile company for 27 years i can get it for free i guess when i build my rhino his new encloser i'll make my guess,prolly pond liner.Also rob your rhino is looking great as always.:)

herpgirl2510

I don't really appreciate the insinuation that my enclosures are not clean. It would be like me saying yours look sterile and he should be in an enclosure that is 2x the size of yours. So I suppose everyone on here with tegus and monitors who have substrate like you are supposed to has unlean enclsoures. I would challenge you to find so much as a stray poop in my many enclosures I have. Really my rhino poops once a day out of his enclosure I take pride in how well kept my reptiles are I ertainly do not keep them in an unclean enviornment just a more natural comfortable one for them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029