• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Chubbs The Beast

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Y'know, in all fairness, I probably didn't read the thread closely enough and was reacting to all the new posts and such. But since you asked. :)

I would think a 5x3x2 is not quite the right dimensions for an adult cage for a tegu with the potential of large adult growth. If he's that long at his age, he may be quite long as an adult. My preference would be for a 8ft unless the closet is set-up for all day free roam. And I'm thinking 2ft is the height? You just have to watch that you have enough room between the substrate and the ceiling if you have a mercury vapor bulb.

Did you say you were using cypress? I'm thinking of switching to soil/peat this year. I have to see how to work that out.

Anyway, you definitely have to think about how to keep the humidity up in the closet without causing mold. Even a humid hide would work, but that's just part-time. Low humidity leads to subtle dehydration which taxes the kidneys over the long haul.

Pretty tegu. Where did he come from?

Anyways, that's my two cents :)

Ummm, I started reading Buzz's "Not posting here" thread then followed the link over to this thread. ;)

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Right now you have a 2 deep night time space right? And free roam into what? 7ft by was it 4 or 5? Shouldn't that be fine? As long as you have basking areas and uvb close enough to benefit him. What is 'norm ' for uvb 12 inches? And for humidity...keep his smaller hide area moist/humid. And get a room humidifier to maybe mount somewhere inside the closet area...or at least pointed toward it... if your closet space is not painted with mildew resistant paint that would also help so it won't get all nasty. When i rehabbed bats i had sort of an 'unorthodox ' setup. I used a clear plastic wardrobe thing...the kind with the pole you hang clothes on and it's just plastic and you zip it up. Does anyone get what i mean? Well, i cut the front and attached mesh for ventilation, rigged a regular warm mist humidifier pointed at the other mesh area where their roosting area was... sorry for rambling. But in a nutshell it worked out perfect, so what I'm saying is that there may be clever modifications to make a closet space work for a tegu.but yes you must put the time and effort to ensure your animal is happy and healthy :)

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Omg laura I think we may have been posting at the same time...haha. and kind of the same suggestions too :)

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

bfb345

Yeah he is definetly going to get a bigger cage maybe later in the year not sure yet it will probaby be like 8*4*4

and he will still have access to the pen if that works out too

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi Laura,

I initially posted in this thread with quite an aggressive tone, but I think Brenden will agree that that quickly changed to a direct, more informative and civil tone. I gave my two cents and moved on.

Deac77

5 Year Member
Morning coffee for me! Haha!

Ok closet thing Kirby (sense he lives in 2 houses) at one has his big ole cage at the other lives in the master closet because the house isn't big enough for a 8 foot cage (next week no more back and forth yay!). The closet he lives in is massive like 10x10 and I tacked down that office chair stuff, the plastic that sticks to the carpet so your chair can roll , also this closet is under the apartments swamp cooler that puts off a massive deal of humidity AND I got a big plastic tote filled it half way with cypress/Eco earth mixture with a hole cut and sanded(so not sharp) for him to go in and out off I also have a humidifier running because of that the humidity in the closet sits at about 60% but he has a humid hide to go into that its at like 95%. Even still he gets baths daily, I got lucky to have the apartment into mates house built to be fairly tegu friendly but I will say keeping such a large space warm at night isn't the easiest thing to do

This is what I have to do not a preference because my friends are scared to feed the "meat eating lizard" so he has to travel

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
No prob, I'm a day off and now I'm on my second cup of coffee, lol. It's all good. And of course you can't always pick up tone through the Internet. Sorry if I misinterpreted anything.

bfb345

TeguBuzz said:
Hi Laura,

I initially posted in this thread with quite an aggressive tone, but I think Brenden will agree that that quickly changed to a direct, more informative and civil tone. I gave my two cents and moved on.

Yes i agree fully

Lol i chug my coffee and its like a huge mug full too haha

bfb345

I have the cage but its not set up because the only cypress mulch had to be at home depot outside and this is Michigan so it was frozen solid and is currently defrosting lol in my room but soon it will be ready then I have to buy a few pieces of wood for the closet so he cant get out then I need more cypress and then a powersun bulb then we are in business wahoo

speak of seeing pics of setups post some of your new cage with your gu I would love to see it

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Brenden, as stated above - in regards to buying the wood, I would also like to add that your tegu, when large enough, will be able to push aside a piece of wood. They're pretty damn strong.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
At 3 feet guru was moving and hiding under (medium) rocks. I don't think moving a piece of wood will be too challenging. I'm sorry if I missed this in another thread but why have you decided to try this for housing a tegu over other methods? If its a money issue you can always keep an eye out on Craigslist, I see lots of killer deals in my area, lots of customs, sometimes vision cages. If you don't have the tools to build one you could post an ad yourself asking if anyone would be willing to help you. If space is an issue you could try an unserved enclosure, if built properly those things are monsters.
Congrats on your new tegu, I hope everything works out well for you both. Keep us posted and updated with pics.

bfb345

Sorry the closet thing isn't going to happen any way im just upgrading him to an 8 foot cage at the end of the year and the wood would have been screwed into the wall so there would have been no way for him to move it but if I would have just set one there he would have been able to throw that across the room lol ill post some pics of his cage I got yesterday just finished setting it up

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980