• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Yogi's Thread

bmx3000max

chitodadon a foot for 2 months is fine for a normal tegu thats not a problem...and as for eating try to switch up the food your giving...offer variety and how are you feeding...i tried in a bin and my tegus wouldnt eat much until i tried tong feeding and now they eat like monsters.....and aambumann thanks alot yogi and boo boo are in for a treat...and can i keep the madagascar with the dubias?

so i havent done a update so ill do one....yogi and boo boo have been doing great, tame as could be and doing well....they come to me all the time no matter were they are in thier encloser and out, and litter box training has been slacking so im going to get back ontop of it but i am happy to say we have ordered a starter dubia roach colony from "aambumann" on here a few days ago and it should be here anyday...custermor servierce was great and his prices could not be beat plus the extras he throws in comparied to anyone ive met or seen online....but anyway me and my brother built a little outdoor encloser withspare wood and it wasnt fully finished but we had enuf time to finish enugh and put yogi and boo boo in it with a quick hide and dinner, and they loved it, ecsept for trying to eat alot of rocks-_-

so heres a pick of the encloser
IMG_20120910_172112.jpg

and like i said ill get a updated pick of boo boo but all i got of now is yogi how hes grown and loves to just chill with me..

IMG_20120910_175629.jpg

and so now ive been seting up my tank for the colony going to be here soon and since this is my first time ill break down my setup and if thiers anything i can change please tell me, im a noob to insects...

IMG_20120910_194307.jpg

so i have a 10galon tank with a window screen lid since i heard the little ones can escape from the normal 10 gal lid unless they can escape from that too?.....and i have some egg crates in thier with two bowls and my hardest part to figure other than the lid is my temps for it....i have a 75watt red nite bulb that gets hott with a basking of 103 but floor temp of 80 and then a 65 watt heat emiter that basks at about 89 and still waiting to see what the floor temp is....any suggestions???

also i wasnt sure if i shulda put the bulb on one side like with reptiles for thermo regulation?

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
Thanks man I just want him to grow already hopefully he doesn't hibernate he went to sleep around 6 today and woke at 930 am

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
Ok good I was worried

Maybe if he eats more he would grow faster

bmx3000max

you dont want to rush his growth....hel grow sooner then you know and try what i said about variety and diffrent types of way for feeding cause the more comfortable he his, the more hel eat and more hel grow..nd make sure his uvb is correct, that effects growth too

aambumann

bmx3000max said:
chitodadon a foot for 2 months is fine for a normal tegu thats not a problem...and as for eating try to switch up the food your giving...offer variety and how are you feeding...i tried in a bin and my tegus wouldnt eat much until i tried tong feeding and now they eat like monsters.....and aambumann thanks alot yogi and boo boo are in for a treat...and can i keep the madagascar with the dubias?

so i havent done a update so ill do one....yogi and boo boo have been doing great, tame as could be and doing well....they come to me all the time no matter were they are in thier encloser and out, and litter box training has been slacking so im going to get back ontop of it but i am happy to say we have ordered a starter dubia roach colony from "aambumann" on here a few days ago and it should be here anyday...custermor servierce was great and his prices could not be beat plus the extras he throws in comparied to anyone ive met or seen online....but anyway me and my brother built a little outdoor encloser withspare wood and it wasnt fully finished but we had enuf time to finish enugh and put yogi and boo boo in it with a quick hide and dinner, and they loved it, ecsept for trying to eat alot of rocks-_-

IMG_20120910_172112.jpg

and like i said ill get a updated pick of boo boo but all i got of now is yogi how hes grown and loves to just chill with me..

IMG_20120910_175629.jpg

and so now ive been seting up my tank for the colony going to be here soon and since this is my first time ill break down my setup and if thiers anything i can change please tell me, im a noob to insects...

IMG_20120910_194307.jpg

so i have a 10galon tank with a window screen lid since i heard the little ones can escape from the normal 10 gal lid unless they can escape from that too?.....and i have some egg crates in thier with two bowls and my hardest part to figure other than the lid is my temps for it....i have a 75watt red nite bulb that gets hott with a basking of 103 but floor temp of 80 and then a 65 watt heat emiter that basks at about 89 and still waiting to see what the floor temp is....any suggestions???

also i wasnt sure if i shulda put the bulb on one side like with reptiles for thermo regulation?

I am not sure if you should keep the Madagascar Hisser in with the Dubias, it is much larger and may look at the Dubias as lunch, not sure the effect would have on Dubias breeding. Maybe someone else with more knowledge on the subject could help. I would black out the sides of the aquarium ( roaches do not like light ) and only use the heat emitter, you will not need both. Partially cover the screen top with plastic, so you have ventilation ( an opening ) on each end of the lid, to keep humidity in. You are shooting for an ambient (air inside tank ) air temp. of around 85 degrees F. I just hang a temp probe over the edge of my tote so it hangs on the inside. Basking temps. are not important, again roaches shy away from light. You want an overall even temp. inside the tank, with possibly a slight temp. drop at night ( not below 65 degrees F ). That is why I use a heat mat or human heating pad under 1/2 the tank or tote.
If they need cooler temps, they can move to the other end of the tank or climb up the egg crates to move away from the heat. You will want to use bigger bowls especially for the water gel, this helps keep the humidity up in the tank, and the crystals will not dry out as fast. Also when they eat, usually at night , a lot of times most of them swarm and eat all at once. Very important, keep your dry food items dry at all times to prevent mold. Mold can wipe out a colony. Possibly put dishes on opposite ends of the tank. Hope this helps.

aambumann said:
bmx3000max said:

IMG_20120910_172112.jpg

IMG_20120910_175629.jpg

IMG_20120910_194307.jpg

I am not sure if you should keep the Madagascar Hisser in with the Dubias, it is much larger and may look at the Dubias as lunch, not sure the effect would have on Dubias breeding. Maybe someone else with more knowledge on the subject could help. I would black out the sides of the aquarium ( roaches do not like light ) and only use the heat emitter, you will not need both. Partially cover the screen top with plastic, so you have ventilation ( an opening ) on each end of the lid, to keep humidity in. You are shooting for an ambient (air inside tank ) air temp. of around 85 degrees F. I just hang a temp probe over the edge of my tote so it hangs on the inside. Basking temps. are not important, again roaches shy away from light. You want an overall even temp. inside the tank, with possibly a slight temp. drop at night ( not below 65 degrees F ). That is why I use a heat mat or human heating pad under 1/2 the tank or tote.
If they need cooler temps, they can move to the other end of the tank or climb up the egg crates to move away from the heat. You will want to use bigger bowls especially for the water gel, this helps keep the humidity up in the tank, and the crystals will not dry out as fast. Also when they eat, usually at night , a lot of times most of them swarm and eat all at once. Very important, keep your dry food items dry at all times to prevent mold. Mold can wipe out a colony. Possibly put dishes on opposite ends of the tank. Hope this helps.

Roaches have been around for millions of years and probably survived a nuclear explosion, they are very tough and pretty forgiving. As long as they have food, water, and warm temps some where close, you will do fine. If nothing else just remember, The Dubia cockroach is found in Central and South America. They are common from French Guyana and Brazil to Argentina.

aambumann said:
bmx3000max said:

IMG_20120910_172112.jpg

IMG_20120910_175629.jpg

IMG_20120910_194307.jpg

aambumann said:
bmx3000max said:

IMG_20120910_172112.jpg

IMG_20120910_175629.jpg

IMG_20120910_194307.jpg

Roaches have been around for millions of years and probably survived a nuclear explosion, they are very tough and pretty forgiving. As long as they have food, water, and warm temps some where close, you will do fine. If nothing else just remember, The Dubia cockroach is found in Central and South America. They are common from French Guyana and Brazil to Argentina.

You can black out the sides of the aquarium simply by taping black poster board to the outside of the tank.

bmx3000max

so great news to add to the thread.....the shippment from "aambumann" on here and got my first dubia roach colony...it was almost as exsiting as when i got my tegus and loved all the diffrent sizes and as a gift "aambumann" hooked us up with some extras and even a madagascar hissing cocroach...so we are very happy and pleased....at first was a little worried since i had never ordered ordered from him but he gave quick replys constantly to all my questions and super fast shipping whith even making sure they arrived ontime.....guy does great busniess at great prices, cant be beat....so anyway with all the dubias i put them in the tank and let them get used to thier new place, and man they started eating good...but not before i checked how yogi and boo boo liked them and they went crazy for them....i have not honestly seen them go hungy crazy like that for any thing, definatly suggest thesse things from "aambumann" to everyone to atleast try them with ur tegu once and see the feeding responce for urself

IMG_20120912_192827.jpg

aambumann

Thanks BMX. Looking at your picture, I would stand the egg cartons on edge vertically, that way all the frass ( poop ) will fall to the bottom of the tank, the frass will be used as substrate as well.

aambumann

I use more than 1 tank or tote. I keep the breeding adults in 1 with a ratio of 1 male to every 3-5 females, the less they are disturbed ( except for food and water ) at first the better they will breed. Also remember higher temps. ( with in reason ) equals better breeding as well. The other tanks or totes, I keep all the feeder roaches. You could feed off the extra adult males right away ( make sure you keep enough to keep your proper ratio for breeding ) and let the others grow and breed. When the smaller ones mature into adults add more females to your breeder tank, again add enough males as well to keep your 1 to 3 or 1 to 5 ratio. When cleaning breeder tank you will notice some which have died, I keep count of those adults and replace, from my other totes, so my breeder tank always has a constant number of breeders. Once you start seeing them grow you will have a better idea. I also keep separate totes for the different size roaches. 1 for breeders, 1 for x-small, 1 for small, 1 for medium, and 1 for large. It will take some time to establish a colony strong enough to feed out of daily with out worry. In the beginning, when I needed to jump start the colony I would order more large nymphs ( 1 or 2 molts away from adult ) or adult males and females. There is plenty of info on the internet from people who have been doing it longer than I have, so in the beginning I put on my reading glasses, and read anything and everything I could. A simple Google search for "breeding Blaptica Dubia" will keep you busy. Hope this helps a little. Do not be afraid to ask questions.

Skeetzy

You'll be able to tell when it's consistent enough. The size your looking to grab to feed will be a lot easier to find. I forget how much I started with, but after a year, I have soooo many. I have a 36 gallon tote that is over populated, since my dragons brumating, and my tegu just for here. I'd rather not have to set up another tote for space sake, but it's looking like I will have to. And this is all after one year. They multiply fast. I keep them around 85-90 degrees, with roach chow and water crystals readily available, and oranges whenever I get some. Works great for me.

bmx3000max

hello havent been on tegutalk for some time now but back on and ready for some new updates, i am sad to say that i no longer have yogi and boo boo, i had given them new home because i had gotten ill and could not take care of them, but now im at a new home and want a tegu for me any my family so will be having a new boy from tegu terra since i cannot get yogi and boo boo back:/

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
I wish u would of told me I would of got them from u

from Samsung Galaxy S3

Glad u r better wish u the best

from Samsung Galaxy S3

bmx3000max

yea it was kind of a sudden thing and wasnt on tegutalk to tell anyone, but im hoping to get another soon cause it kills me not having them anymore ive heard teguterra is good so i might get a chacoan like yogi this wensday

bmx3000max

so i got my new tegu "rukus" so i will be using a new thread sperate only for him here http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?pid=129352

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
makit5744