• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Yogi's Thread

bmx3000max

ok so you that may not know me, names angel and i recently got my varnyard 2012 extreme giant tegu born 6/13/12 named yogi he is great compared to my savannha, hopeing for a boy bobby said. but ive had other reptiles but know slowed it down and only have him now so he can have my full attention for the short time ive had him i have formd a bond with him that ive never had or felt with any of my other reptiles but i guse thats the tegu bond that everyone talks about. So this is going to be yogi's offical thread and have his updates and pics and sorry in advance im a terable speller.

you guys probly seen thesse pics but thesse are from about a week ago when yogi was unboxed and his encloser i setup for him. its 4ft im wondering how long itl last him.

tegu.png

tegu21.png

bmx3000max

over this short period of time i can walk in and out of the room and put my hand in his encloser without him freaking out...bobby was right about giving him a week to aclimate

he loves laying around, and not even my little brother or sister scare him away
tegu4.png

but he still gets all fussy when i pick him up, i am not gonna lie i used a sock like for the first few days but i slowly builded that trust with him unlike the savanha i used to have and i pick him up bare hand and it makes a big diffrence picking up over hand or kinda scooping him up like bobby says in one of his youtube videos, he is 10x more easyer to take out when i kinda scoop him up but still a little jittery, im trying to get him to eat more for some reason he wont eat much lately unlike when i first got him he ate like crazy and last thing is hes sheading and has shead but the tip of his tail still has it should i be worried?

his first bath today

tegu6.png

bmx3000max

so yogi has been filling up really good....eating more and more everyday, it hasnet been long and you can already see...and he completly shed today so i must be doing ok on my part for humidty, gotta love thosse repti foggers.

hes getting alot more tame day by day..
tegu-1.png

he even sits on my head now lol

tegu2.png

hes doing good...idk if he likes his fogger or not....but our trust has been building more, no more using the sock and hes never bit me, only once when i first got him i left my hand in his encloser and he eased up to me and niped at my hand to see if i was food...but never again, only thing is hes still a little squirmy to get him out of his encloser but once out fine so i guse time will make him easier to get him out.

tegu3.png

but hes starting to losse his green and weird thing now is he accociates when i put him in his seperate bin to eat he also goes to the bathroom in it but he does in his encloser still too so what does that mean and i have to constantly take out all his hides when im ready to take him out to eat, how much longer should i do this or should i let him run and hide or what would be best?

tommylee22

I just got in my RS400 Monsoon mister, it's awesome, nice fine mist and the timer is so easy set how often you want it to mist and duration and walk away. it's silent and I love how you can place and adjust the sprayers wherever you want them.

bmx3000max

tommylee22 said:
I just got in my RS400 Monsoon mister, it's awesome, nice fine mist and the timer is so easy set how often you want it to mist and duration and walk away. it's silent and I love how you can place and adjust the sprayers wherever you want them.

i definatly love the way they look in an encloser and i havent had to worry about humidity since i started to use it, definatly recomend them to everyone

bmx3000max

so ill have pictures probly up later but i put one of thosse petco leashes on yogi today and he was kinda really freaked out by it, mabe i am starting him to earlie, any suggestions? and when youve had your baby gu whats the longest amount of time you would hold them, just wondering on sugestions.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He's way too small for a leash. When my gu's were that small I handled them about 30mins to an hour a day, maybe even less - and they all turned out fine.

bmx3000max

not sure exsactly i havent messured him but hes only a little over a month old i belive

bmx3000max said:
not sure exsactly i havent messured him but hes only a little over a month old i belive

mabe only 12 inches

bmx3000max

ok so today yogi really freaked me out....i might of been overreacting idk....so what happened was we had a power outage for like 2-3 days so i felt so bad for yogi but i had work thosse two days but i came today and the power came baq on and ovcouse he was cold when i held him so i fixed everything up and he has his power and normal heating back on but i also found that his bulb was bad so i changed it wich was weird because i had the bulb for a month and suspected it wasnt working right....but today i held him and i placed him down and when he crawld he only used his front legs and let his back ones drag at times and he seemed to twitch a litte when turnig....so all that happend today heres a pic

hurttegu.png

what should i do, what could be im kinda really affraid. please help, thanks..

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'd say some natural sunlight will fix things up. It seems as though the twitching is in an early stage, keep the UVB lights on a little longer for a bit and get him outside in something to get them rays. That's what I'd do. If it seems serious or progresses, visit a vet.
Good luck.

bmx3000max

so yogi seems to be doing better, im puting a little more calcium in his diet and been bringing him outside so hes doing better havent noticed the ytwitching or anything so hopfully its going away for good...hes been doing alot more basking

IMG_20120729_205325.jpg

IMG_20120729_205347.jpg

and bringing him outside actuly has made our bond better cause today i left him in his food bin for a few hours in the sun since i had to work and i came home and put my hand in his bin and he walked right into my hand like im ready to go inside lol so were doing better but the only thing is he is not eating alot still...but he is pooping normaly....like i gave him 3 pinkys and he ate one and left the other two and the ground turkey...but when i put him back in his encloser a couple hours later he ate the two pinkys in his encloser with tongs insted of the bin and a bite or two of ground turkey, so what should i do?

and feel free to comment good or bad on his encloser, thanks.

bmx3000max

ok so i finnaly found out what the problem was....it was two things it was that yogis mecury vapor bulb was bad....it was giving off light but no uvb...thats why the spazing started and becuase the heat it was giving was to poor and his basking at most was 95....so i corrected the problem and within a day he is more active, he walks normally and eats like crazy now lol being how a baby gu should behavie....so im so happy he dosent need to go to the vet...but word of advice i bout my bulb at an expo wich was bad and then went to petco and bought another that was good, idk which is safer to get bulbs from but make sure the bulb is good cause if i didnt change it he would still not be getting his proper lighting, so make sure you guys are getting good bulbs..

seeing him more with his new bulb and hes tamed down dramaticly already..

IMG_20120731_143312.jpg

tommylee22

So when was this pic took, I see you posted it 7/31.

bmx3000max said:
ok so i finnaly found out what the problem was....it was two things it was that yogis mecury vapor bulb was bad....it was giving off light but no uvb...thats why the spazing started and becuase the heat it was giving was to poor and his basking at most was 95....so i corrected the problem and within a day he is more active, he walks normally and eats like crazy now lol being how a baby gu should behavie....so im so happy he dosent need to go to the vet...but word of advice i bout my bulb at an expo wich was bad and then went to petco and bought another that was good, idk which is safer to get bulbs from but make sure the bulb is good cause if i didnt change it he would still not be getting his proper lighting, so make sure you guys are getting good bulbs..

seeing him more with his new bulb and hes tamed down dramaticly already..

IMG_20120731_143312.jpg

bmx3000max

for some reson he wanted to sleep in today and not really come out of his hide so i let him be...so this is a pic of him from yesterday...weiredst thing with this pic too, he is becoming tame because i left his food bowl in his encloser for a hour and he didnt touch it but then when i brought the tongs out and played witht the food in his bowl he jumped up and came and ate the food, even the food in the bowl i wasnt holding with the tongs......and great news, ive just spoken to bobby and yogi is going to have another with him, it was unexspected but we will be having a all american with him, so ima be coming up with names for him/her anyone know a good name for a all american?

IMG_20120802_180506.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced