• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Underground Reptiles Chacoan White headed Tegus Are they really giants?

DangerousDann

Same here, Dozers head is greyish white
image.jpeg

Rud3dog

His head normally looks more grey, he has some reptibark on his skin. His mouth is getting better, I am not sure how that happened but I have been steralizing it the best I can and upped his heat even more and it seems to be going away.

So will that gray turn to white? I dont remember seeing any adults with a gray skin.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hydrogen peroxide excellent antiseptic will fuzz and foam over infection.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm not sure. I have a pale female with an off white or cream colored head, but white heads are out there.

Rud3dog

But have you seen a gray head? Mine is litterally gray atm. I havnt seen a tegu keep greay before. Cream color yes, but grey? May be the picture wasnt good, he has a completely grey head, not cream.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I see what you mean. My answer is no I have not seen gray heads. However, my experience is with larger/older animals= Done changing, so for me the vote's still out on yours. I suspect it to be the intermediate color as it continues to grade to white or cream. I'm thinking it needs several more months of growth before I would call the change final.

Do you know the breeder? That would help in knowing the possibilities of what to expect.

DangerousDann

But have you seen a gray head? Mine is litterally gray atm. I havnt seen a tegu keep greay before. Cream color yes, but grey? May be the picture wasnt good, he has a completely grey head, not cream.
I would think it would turn white/cream colored. If you got it from Underground Reptiles, they have some vids up on YouTube showing some of their breeding stock

snibborsirk

Selfishly I hope he stays gray... Then you could coin some ridiculous morph name and overprice the offspring!! Seriously though, he's a good looking tegu. How old is he now? Length? My Chacoan is 2.5 months (hatched on sept 11) so I'm just looking for some growth comparisons and what to expect in the near future.

DangerousDann

Dozer came from Underground Reptiles (hatched in May 2015, and we got him September 5th, so he's about 6months old. This pic was from today when he climbed onto my back. I'll post one of when we first got him to see if there is a color change.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    937.5 KB · Views: 76

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Natural sunlight should provide best color for pics to compare.

Rud3dog

20151202_104327[1].jpg Well my cell phone cant focus worth a crap :( I tried the carpet but his head was blending in so I got a trash bag and hoped for the best. Cuiser was hatched in mid July at underground. Last time I measured him he was 21 inches long. So he is just over 4 months old. Not bad growth I guess. He is going through major color changed in the past month though. He never had any red under his belly til a few weeks ago. Now there is some small hints of red, more red then orange like the ones tegusonly sells. Is it me or the tegusonly tegus look kinda different. If you look at his adds they have a much skinnier head then most of the others in the pet trade. I heard they were all Paraguayan but I could be wrong.

You will have to trust me that his head is mostly gray and my camera sucks. Sorry :(

Attachments

• 20151202_103902[1].jpg
    20151202_103902[1].jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 51
  • 20151202_103938[1].jpg
    20151202_103938[1].jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 62
  • 20151202_105433[1].jpg
    20151202_105433[1].jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 67
  • 20151202_105412[1].jpg
    20151202_105412[1].jpg
    4 MB · Views: 50

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Never having ever seen a grey head, my money's on it whitening up, may just take a few more sheds.

I think the exact same about the tegusonly tegus. their snouts are long/narrow. All of them. I find it handsome and have become pretty good at identifying a Rodney tegu.

Rud3dog

I would agree that his head will have to whiten on the fact that I never have seen a grey headed adult. If his head will continue to whiten, it is possible 1/3 of his body will eventually be white. The grey/white head has been taking over more and more real estate of his body. The first few months I didnt think he would have much white at all, now I am starting to change my mind and hope. I think bright white and black tegus are the prettiest out there.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yup, high white with black contrast is a jawdropper. Saw such a picture on Teguterra site on blues. Lotta white, black teardrop, a partial black lateral band and other black too, but with a burnt nose. Even if not as extensive white as the one in this picture, I can see a teardrop developing on yours from the carpet side shot. Certainly points to white.

http://www.teguterra.com/bluetegus.htm

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980