• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

>> The VEGETA Diaries <<

AWD247

5 Year Member
simon021 said:
What was that he was eating in that video that was crunchy like that?

I'd love to see a video of his whole enclosure. it looks pretty awesome man!

Actually I think the sound your talking about is the plastic tray moving when he jerks the food around, it has a slight bend to the bottom so it make a slight popping sound, he was eating ground turkey/beef/tuna mixture with c-oil and cal supplement.

Ill get that video up for you soon :-D

AWD247

5 Year Member
Jefroka said:
Good looking gu, I like him, very tame. One suggestion, if it were me, I would give him smaller food tidbits, so he could wolf them down easier. He has a very good appetite.

...Jefroka

I usually give him smaller meatballs of the mixture, but for some reason he doesnt eat much of it that way anymore, in that video it was my 1st time I put large portions of the mixture, I was suprised he ate that much, usually he eats about a teaspoon worth of mixture with fruit, that was about a tablespoon just of the mixture, mind you he eats 2wice a day. I guess he just wanted to pig out.
This is his usual mixture 2wice a day monday, wednesday, friday.
On Tuesday, Thursdays he gets chicken slices or salmon, depends on what fish I have, and Saturdays he gets a few peices of canned dog food with left over mixture, and sundays fuzzies.

Mixture: Turkey,Beef,Tuna,Grapes,boiled egg

FoodBinTray.jpg

AWD247

5 Year Member
Ok, so heres a quick update before I get the videos going, Today I officially stopped using the feeding bin, I took the tray out like I did from the last video and just laid it on the floor near me, For some reason he eats alot more that way.
Its pretty kool cause after he's done he just walks away, today he was just close enough to just climb back on me when he was done, I cant belive how smart these guys are., Well after hanging out with me for about 30-40 minutes, I had to put him back in, it felt like it was getting a bit cold for him,.
Im suprised on how well he's doing with handling and being out the enclsoure., explores a bit, always stays close, falls asleep in my lap, IDK if its laziness or saftey/comfort. Either way PRETTTY COOOL

Next update Ill have some more videos up.
10-1-09
Thanks.

Dvdh1

5 Year Member
That's very cool that he always stays close to you and how chill he is. They are amazing animals

AWD247

5 Year Member
Late Night Update:

Ok so today I finally finished the room I was renovating, in the house, Since I couldnt redo the basement just yet as a "Man Cave", I re-did the 3rd bedroom into my LIL "Man Nook".. :grno Which is actually my Office, but right now its Vegeta's room.

Also today I decided to completely clean out the enclosure, re-seal it and change my Mulch mixture to just Cypress Mulch- 6 inches high,. Kinda changed the setup a bit also in the background:

I put the daytime lamp on a timer.
Added a night bulb to keep the temps right (because its starting to really get cold here and the temps were getting real low), also on a timer.
I also added a Zoo Med Repti Fogger to control humidity better, Lets see how it pans out.

This is it all setup, everything on.
ENC1.jpg

This is with the Room lighting turned off
ENC2.jpg

This is the Night setting w/ Fogger Starting.
ENC3.jpg

I havent forgot about the videos, But now with the room all setup, they will be alot easier to do., Stay tuned
Thanks

simon021

5 Year Member
Great looking tank man! Makes my tank look so plain! haha. I need to get some plants and stuff, but I have a feeling he will just tear anything down that i put up like that. He thrashes his cage every other day or so

AWD247

5 Year Member
TEGU_JAKE said:
awesome cage
how big is it?

This one is 4' x 3'x 3'. He will probably only use it for another month or two, then I have a 9 footer taking it's place ( still being built )

GOT_TEGUS

5 Year Member
AWD247 said:
Late Night Update:

Ok so today I finally finished the room I was renovating, in the house, Since I couldnt redo the basement just yet as a "Man Cave", I re-did the 3rd bedroom into my LIL "Man Nook".. :grno Which is actually my Office, but right now its Vegeta's room.

Also today I decided to completely clean out the enclosure, re-seal it and change my Mulch mixture to just Cypress Mulch- 6 inches high,. Kinda changed the setup a bit also in the background:

I put the daytime lamp on a timer.
Added a night bulb to keep the temps right (because its starting to really get cold here and the temps were getting real low), also on a timer.
I also added a Zoo Med Repti Fogger to control humidity better, Lets see how it pans out.

This is it all setup, everything on.
ENC1.jpg

This is with the Room lighting turned off
ENC2.jpg

This is the Night setting w/ Fogger Starting.
ENC3.jpg

I havent forgot about the videos, But now with the room all setup, they will be alot easier to do., Stay tuned
Thanks

awesome bro

AWD247

5 Year Member
Here's a quick update, today 10-21-09

I havent seen Vegeta in a few days, usually only see him in the early morning warming up in the basking spot right before work, then Hes gone after that. So today I took advantage of him being out and spent some time with him and took a few quick pics.

He's starting to show some high whites now, and does this thing where he grips my finger when I hold him, its kinda kool feeling his lil hands grip.

1021.jpg

10211.jpg

10210.jpg

I've been wondering about Vegeta being Male or Female.. Anyone hoping that they have a Male is always wondering when are those jowls gonna start coming.. At times Vegeta's head looks female, today looked kinda thick?? Male-ish
I dont know, what do you guys think.. either way- this tegu is awesome, plus the name fits male or female..lol

GraphiK

5 Year Member
Looking great AWD, keep taking great care of him like you are now and I'm sure that tegu is going to be a tank!

AWD247

5 Year Member
Not quite sure how big he is now he went down about 3-4 weeks ago, havent seen much of him, He was growing real fast and I didnt want him to hibernate but it is what it is and he disappeared .lol

I havent done any you tube videos, I just share him and what we do on here. Maybe Ill look into that.

AWD247

5 Year Member
Just wanted to bring this back to life.. Vegeta is still hibernating, I wonder how much longer I have to wait.. !! lol

AWD247

5 Year Member
Here's a quick update.. It's been awhile cause Vegeta has been down hibernating and NOT growing :bang
But today when I was going thru the enclosure and re-wetting the mulch he came out for a lil to see what was going on, I was kinda glad he did cause its been so long I was kinda getting worried.. but he's doing fine, just wish he ws alot BIGGER!! :rant

Here are some quick pics I got with my cell

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo.jpg

Cant wait till he's up and eating like a pig again.. I still have my fingers crossed hoping he is a he and not a she.. :fc

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980