• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My journey

James Smith

I realize that you can not get away from bugs being inside of the enclosure but is it bad for your Tegu? Is there a certain type of bug we must watch out for? I have these very small bugs, so small you can hardly see them. I saw a small larva of some sort just today. I also have an issue with bugs in the water, maybe larva as well. I would clean the dish out and in an hour there's more in the water dish. Very annoying.
Any clue guys?

James Smith

Like I said in my very first post. I am writing in this forum to not only give a play by play of my experience with BOGA, but to allow everyone the chance to chime in and to feed their most valuable insight on this beautiful animal that we all have found to love. Therefore I would like to extend my gratitude to each and everyone who did just that. Your comments and advice is and greatly appreciated.

I find myself asking for your experience once again. I do believe I am preventing BOGA from going into brumation. I will explain. As I think back I can remember BOGA daytime habits has not really changed all that much really, however his sleep and
his unwillingness to come out of his enclosure has just noticeably increased. This could most likely be the start or he could have been in brumation all this time. This is confusing because his appetite has been the same from the beginning. I have kept his temp and humidity relatively the same as well. The humidity has only increased from 50 to 70 percent. He is acting so sweet and calm even for BOGA. I have been offering food everyday and everyday he has ate to some degree. I also read that if your Tegu miss his brumation within his first year he could reach 3 ft. in length, BOGA is already 32 inches and he is only five months old.

This is my question to you guys to this already long post. Should I stop feeding him all together and see what he does as well as reducing time on BOGA'S day cycle?
Here's a thought, there is only one flaw to this whole theory...BOGA comes out of his burrow every morning around the same time without me coaching him, and he will bask for awhile and then move to another area then bask for awhile again but basking time I noticed has become shorter too...but he just has no interest really to come out of his enclosure.

The way I get BOGA to come out his enclosure now is by BOGA allowing me, without resisting, to pick him up gently and then I place him on my lap for some loving.I since stop taking him out now but still it is a mystery to me.

I just wish there was a clear cut way of detecting this most important part of their lives,... if you want to breed them of course.

Last edited:

Griffin

I would advise against the stop feeding right away, try to ease into it, because if he isn’t in brumation/hibernation and he isn’t eating, his body will use up a lot of energy as he isn’t slowed down ready for brumation. If you think he is showing singns of brumation , then drop the temps slowly over time and see how reacts to that, as the temps drop his intake in food should drop as well.

James Smith

Thanks for that Griffin. Dropping the air temp shouldn't be a problem , 82.4 degrees right now, however what about the basking lamp? Should I limit that as well?

James Smith

Okay limited the time on the basking light and I am reducing the temp as well. He hasn't been eating as much. What he has eaten now is coming out as diarrhea. I really thought I have been doing everything right up until now, or am I over thinking this. BOGA is against eating anything but salmon, no fruit or vegetables but he is getting his proper amount of calcium.He is drinking plenty of water too. I think since he is only eating salmon, might have something to do with his diarrhea. Any thoughts???

Last edited:

James Smith

I saw him eat something in the COCO husk substrate. Now I am worried. It was a pretty big about the size of a pebble. I might be scheduling his first VET call.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Eventually, rub salmon on on whole frozen/thawed prey. Very good for him. Not sure about the dysentary, but otherwise good routine you're doing.

James Smith

I think I figured out the issue with BOGA, it's only a theory though. I remember that I was in a pinch when BOGA'S 150 watt UVA/UVB basking light blew out. I replaced it with a spare 100 watt UVA basking light. Through my research I found out UVB as well as UVA Ray's is very important. I forgot that I made that switch. I went out and bought a 125 watt UVB/UVA true sun ray basking light and replaced the UVA only light. It's been 3 weeks since the light blew. Now I am wondering if I should keep the VET appointment or cancel it and give BOGA a couple of days to see what happens.

James Smith

Well the prognosis for BOGA was a small amount of parasites in his stool sample. I took him down to his vet and he did an awesome job. Dr. Hunter gave him a some antibiotics and good bill of health. He had a chance to do a video with one of the assistants. If you want, go to his Facebook page The Adventures of BOGA and you will see the video of him there at the clinic.

James Smith

Thanks Walter. It was at an early stage. I would not have noticed if I wasn't watching him closely everyday. This is our life with GU. If anyone is deciding to purchase a Tegu they must understand there will be a Vet expense. I am just blessed that Dr. Hunter is very reasonable.

James Smith

Okay guys I haven't posted anything lately and that was due to me being on pins needles with what has been going on with BOGA. After the Vet visit I gave him the antibiotics and there was really no change.

Opon my further research I had a hunch that it may in fact be impaction or constipation, same thing. I realized this when he struggled to poop and I know that it can be fatal if not treated. I jump to action and started to put fact to my theory. I didn't want to give BOGA the wrong treatment and further cause more issues. I tell you what, early signs of brumation sure looks a lot like early signs of impaction minus the struggle to poop.

This morning was the first time in almost a week since I seen him poop and it has been more than that since I have seen him have anything other than diarrhea. My heart rejoiced when he struggled and finally had a bowel movement today. I know it doesn't take much for me lol. I know we are not out of the woods yet but for his feeding this morning, for the first time, I put 99.9% pure mineral oil on his his favorite...salmon wedges. Mineral oil, to people that are new to reptiles, is a laxative to help facilitate things along. Well not just for reptiles, it is a laxative in general. You just have to make sure there isn't any additives, preservatives in it. Pure mineral oil will be best. Administered the mineral oil 2 or 3 times a week, all depends on how bad the impaction. You also must make sure the temp in the enclosure is raised a bit. Warm baths once a day for about 20 to 30 min will help as well, while massaging the belly gently.

I will most definitely keep you updated on this unexpected Adventure.

Last edited:

James Smith

I talked to BOGA'S Dr. and she said she isn't leaning towards impaction but more like constipation instead. She said if he wasn't struggling then not so much. I told her that he was for 2 days. She want me to continue to feed him his regular size meals and keep his temp up in his enclosure. So I am going to add minaral oil once more this week and do as the doctor suggests.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced