• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My journey

James Smith

Hello my name is James Smith and I absolutely love reptiles. I find them so fascinating. I live in the southwestern part of Michigan which presents it own challenges different from warmer climate regions.

Thank you for the warm greetings. I am not as you would call a Tegu expert enthusiast. However I thought this would be the best place for a reptile lover, such as myself, to learn the ends and outs about an Tegu and get first hand info on how to care for such a great animal. I really believe I would make a great parent to a beautiful Tegu. I have learned it's a mutual respect between the Tegu and his or her owner.

I'm posting this new thread not just to introduce myself to this community, but to give a play by play true live experience of my journey in owning a Tegu. This will take awhile because I want to get this right. I have done quite a bit of research already over the last 5 and half months but that isn't nearly enough time to learn everything about this incredible animals, this is where you come in.

This will give everyone here an opportunity to interject their opinions and steer me in the right direction. From sex to enclosure... temperament to diet...breed to breeder. I really hope everyone will embrace this journey and really input. Besides we are talking about a future adoption of a Tegu, which is like a couple having their first baby.

I look forward in sharing all my journeys photos and hearing from everyone. Thank you for welcoming me into this unique and diverse communit

Future owner of Yoshi the Tegu
James Smith

P.S.
The name Yoshi is subject to change if someone can come up with a better name within my upcoming name challege.

Last edited:

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum. I look forward to seeing Yoshi and the journey.

James Smith

Thank you. I am at the point of my decision, trying figure out if Yoshi should be a Super Blue Tegu, or a Blue Tegu or a Black and White Argentine Tegu. I am thinking a Super Blue because they only get 3 ft. in length max. ; at least that is what I have found out in my research. If he is only 3ft, his enclosure would not have to be 4x4x8. I am I thinking correctly???

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Female Argentines reach that and do best in large surroundings like 8x4x4.

Unsolicited advice- due diligence on vendors. Some honest, some dishonest.

James Smith

That is another thing I am concerned about, vendors. Any recommendations? I mean really outstanding vendors. Cost isn't a factor for a great animal either.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Check out Tegusonly for beautiful wildcaughts and some breeding. That's where mine are from.

Also, hector's Habitat for non-inbred beautiful morphs.

Both in Florida.

Zyn

What’s a super blue tegu ? Sounds like marketing B.s but anyway my blue Sev is going on 1 and half and doing great here in Ohio. He’s currently prepping for brumation as the months get colder.

Sev is one of Hectors 75% blue 25% B/W Tegus from 2017. You can check out his album for his growth over the months.

Also feel free to ask questions about so called mophs the Tegu marketing people will try and slip stuff past new owners. Not sure what they are calling a super blue. But currently the only two mophs are albinos and anerythristic reds. There is dwarf locality being bred by Ron st. Pierre and the red Anerys by Laura Roberts the rest are just line breed or cross breeds companies try to pass off as a mophs so they can charge more.

Last edited:

James Smith

Zyn thank you, that is why I came here. Getting valuable information like what you just shared with me was absolutely strong and is greatly appreciated. Zyn the next thing I am going to ask is very important. You mentioned Ron st. and his dwarf breed of Tegus. Do you know if this breeder is a reputable breeder and lastly have you ever heard if this dwarf breed of Tegu temperament is as even as a trained and well kept Argentine Black and White Tegus?

Zyn

Sadly it’s just in the starting phase of then project so I don’t think we’ll be seeing any, any time soon since the ones he’s working with aren’t at breeding age yet.

Also, yes Ron was the original importer of blues and has been doing some great things.

I got my blue hybrid from Hectors Habitat and he’s great you can look at my album under Severus there are pictures from the day I got him till now. His journey lol :)

James Smith

Well here is an update on the journey this week...Wednesday of next week I will be purchasing my Red Argentine Tegu from LLLREPTILE. This is what I need to know...Have anyone heard anything bad about them? I am going to be honest here....I am freaking out a little bit lol. I am excited and nervous at the same time. It's close to waiting on your baby to come home from the Hospital. I really want to be a good to him....Him....Hummmmm. I think it is time for throwing some suggestions of names around for a bit. Anyone has a name other than Yoshi?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Check BOI on the Faunaclassified website. The board of inquiry has threads concerning LLL over the years.

James Smith

Okay the time is getting closer for my first Tegu to arrive. Plans are finished for what to look like an unique and awesome enclosure. There is something still missing, a solid name. My family has two names picked out and I need some help. In the spirit of our Mid. Election voting season; I would like help voting on the two names.

Ballot 1. Yoshi

Or

Ballot 2. Jug Jug

Remember to Vote.

Zyn

Yoshi doesn’t fit if he’s a red Yoshi was mostly green.

I’d call him juggernaut since they are both big red and strong or jugjug for short lol

James Smith

Yoshi seems to be winning out the vote in the family however juggernaut is in close second.
Yoshi_Group_Art_YBA.png

Last edited:

James Smith

We have just recieved a wright in...... The Lizard Obi-Wan Kenobi rode in the Star Wars movie Clone Wars name was Boga. The name that has just entered in is BOGA.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm not one to suggest names.

As names go, I like Boga.

Ultimately, your choice will be the best!

James Smith

Boga is really growing on me too. I am a big Star Wars fan. I seen every Star Wars movie in the theater when they actually first came out. I just told my age too by the way lol.

I just saw a troubling video this evening where the Tegu was going through what the owner called puberty and the Tegus action was aggressive in nature. Is this what one would expect with in a Tegu?

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi...... I like Boga..... Yoshi is too common, I did like Jugjug too but the only problem I can see living from experience is that you will shorten it just to Jug OR J:D:D

AlphaAlpha is also probs about 18 months and I've seen no signs of the terrible teens OR aggression.

James Smith

Think you are right AlphaAlpha. Boga has now moved ahead in the lead on the votes.

That is my only concern is the aggression. If he is showing aggression that make me feel he isn't happy or I am doing something wrong.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
makit5744