• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My journey

James Smith

Wow I figured out how to up load a video. Here is BOGA and I spending some early morning quality time together.
20181218_074736_1_1.gif

Last edited:

James Smith

Okay I just noticed today BOGA actually coughed twice today, once before and after bath time. I really hope isn't getting sick. Must keep a watchful eye on him.

We just finished bath time. He really do not like baths at all. I was able to watch his posture, and was able to detect when he was going to lunge or leap, so I back off and didn't allow him to jump on me to get out. I hope over time he will get more and more accustom to bath time.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Do you have a shower over the bath ?

When Alpha was little I tried putting him in a big tub of water which he used to just try jumping straight out of. I don't have a bath so I put my shower on slow and plugged up the drain he would sit under the trickling shower (rain) for ages and the water would fill up around him ... just keep your eye on standing water and heat up as necessary.

James Smith

Okay, well I have been avoiding this for awhile. How do I get my two dogs use to BOGA and vice versa??? Or is this a lost cause.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
In my experience any animal can be introduced to another animal as long as it is done slowly.....

Ive had horses , dogs, cats ,rabbits, beardies and a parot that would all cohabit with each other and not all were totally trustable my dogs have always being the best.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Depends on the dog. On the balance, I'd avoid it. Worst case scenario the dog seems fine, then one day attacks.

Griffin

its a bad idea and recipe for disaster it takes one instance of that tegu (BOGA) whiping the dog or hissing at it and next thing you know the little tegu is gobbled up and gone forever. And given the size of BOGA I know for a fact my 3 dogs, 2 Berneise mountain dogs and a golden doodle would rip that tegu apart thinking they were “playing” with it. And I’d argue it’s hard to compare horses, dogs, cats, rabbits considering 3/4 of those are domesticated (could probably argue horses are domesticated as well) and have evolutionary history of living in the same environments. I have seen clips on youtube of people having their tegus and dogs next to each other but that sounds like a horrible idea to me given the considerable consequences . . .

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Dogs are a pack annimal and as long as you exert pack dominance you can bring any other animals into your pack/family and home.

My dogs (I'm talking a Rohdesian Ridgeback X Staffy Pitbull terrier and the one before pure Staffy) have always being totally accepting of anything I bring into my pack/family/home and I have never had any reason to distrust them as they would never distrust me. You just have to train them how to interact with said animal.

I'm also not talking a quick 15 min intro they seem fine lets go a head and just leave them to it,I mean months of careful introductions and observation.. rewording good behavior and on hand with in a milisecond to cut out the slightest hint of anything untoward.

So I suppose the Question how well do you know your dog?

Last edited:

Griffin

Look, all I’m saying is when I log onto this forum and see a “BOGA got decimated” it’ll be the biggest I told you so in history! Your dog and tegu are NOT meant to hang out and have fun they are completely different animals with completely different evolutionary history. Tread carefully. . .

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
NO ONE is talking about HANGING OUT and HAVING FUN its a simple fact of cohabiting under the same roof together ..... Animals of different species and evolution have endured to cohabit in each others territories all over the world both in the wild and captivity. Some have actually thrived from the interaction and actually depend on each other to survive now.

Griffin

Your argument isn’t valid , a Tegu and an inbred wolf domesticated to humans likings, have no evolutionary history or relationship. Dogs by default are playful pack animals, quite the opposite of a tegu, and the majority of dogs are going to want to “play” with the poor thing. Why frighten and scare the **** out of a tegu by introducing it in an unnatural way. In argentina a pack of wild dogs are gobbling that thing up like no tomorrow. Not worth the potential consequences at all whether it be a lost tail or broken leg, You as an owner are responsible to prevent things like that happening, and its worse to encourage it.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So as a responsible pet owner you are trying to tell me that its better for the animals that have to cohabit under one roof that they do not meet and are not trained to get along??

Isn't it more dangerous to both animals incase a mistake is made, a door left open or an animal escapes for said animals to have never met and not have your guidance on how to behave around each other??

Dogs all over the world are trained to do fantastic things, I'm certain learning to ignore a tegu would be no great challenge for any dog or proper trainer..

but I guess we'll just have to disagree on the matter:D:D

Last edited:

James Smith

20181224_075620.jpg
20181224_075507.jpg
Just now I had the best experience with BOGA to date. Every now and then I have offered my hand, with back of hand facing up, but with apprehension. As BOGA and I build a relationship, we both are growing to trust each other.

BOGA normally comes out and bask under the light every day. This morning while he was taking what seem to be a nap, I rub his back and then place my hand immediately next to him. The affection from me went on for about 10 minutes on and off. He decided to show his affection to me and then it happened. He nosed my hand like a dog would when he want to be rubbed some more. I didn't so he laid on my hand and went to sleep. It was the most sweetest thing ever. He laid there so long my hand, like BOGA, went to sleep as well. I didn't move the whole time. I just kept talking to him real softly.

I love this guy!

Last edited:

James Smith

Oh this is awesome as well. Yesterday I drove about 30 minutes to a quail farmer, who knew there was such a thing. I purchased 120 quail eggs for BOGA. I wish I could eat eggs we would benefit from such a find. LOL...
20181223_175540.jpg

James Smith

I was actually hoping someone would have done just that very thing and then suggest it to let me know it was possible. A 30 to 35 min drive would not be worth it, only to buy a dozen quail eggs.

Griffin

I guess we will agree to disagree : )
So as a responsible pet owner you are trying to tell me that its better for the animals that have to cohabit under one roof that they do not meet and are not trained to get along??

Isn't it more dangerous to both animals incase a mistake is made, a door left open or an animal escapes for said animals to have never met and not have your guidance on how to behave around each other??

Dogs all over the world are trained to do fantastic things, I'm certain learning to ignore a tegu would be no great challenge for any dog or proper trainer..

but I guess we'll just have to disagree on the matter:D:D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602