• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My journey

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
whilst walking I would say cause if BOGA is anything like Alpha when hes still his belly is on the floor....haha

not too sure on the distance as it was just an article I read and thats all the information it gave.

I personally think that in a healthy gu taking normal leisurely walk that you'll be lucky to get much more than a half inch under the lowest part of his belly,

Someone else might want to jump in though as that's just my view and remember Alpha is Colombian so I'm only going on videos and research for Argi's

James Smith

Okay guys, I am posing this question because I couldn't find a thread on this topic and in my research I found conflicting answers.

I am thinking about getting BOGA a friend and before anyone say it... I already know they do not need a friend, brother, playmate or anything like that because Gu's is known to do just find by themselves lol.

My first question is this:
I have a 8'×3'×33" enclosure. I am wondering do I need to increase the size of my enclosure to house 2 Tegus or could I get away with putting both in the same well establishment enclosure.

My second question is: What is the rule? Males can be house together and females can be house together but a male and female can not. Am I thinking correctly?

Zyn

I wouldn’t House males together and make sure they are the same size or the other will become a snack. Even if you get one be prepared to build a second enclosure there is always the possibility they won’t and never will get along

James Smith

Thank you Zyn, I figured I would have to build a second enclosure. I think I will stick to that if I will get another. It was just a thought. I am fine with just BOGA actually but it is food for thought .

Leezard

5 Year Member
Two males together is usually a bad idea but I've seen females get along but the cage would 100% have to be bigger, like minimum of 10 ft x 5ft x 3ft tall

James Smith

Thanks Leezard, I probably will just have two separate enclosures. I think that would be best, especially when and if I get another one it will be most likely be Chacoan B/W.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have two males and a female, all adults. There is no fighting. Same goes with Tegusonly where large mixed sex groups cohabitate.

Zyn

Good to know Walter do you think a large habitat is needed to give adequate space to get away from one another is needed

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The standard 8x4x3' would be tight for two under the best of circumstances. When out, mine are nearly always laying very closeby to each other or touching, but they wander about on their own, the added room for which I think is important.

Ideal to me would be to have another enclosure for another tegu that can open/close to the other just in case. If me, I'd get a female that is at least 2/3 the length of your male.

James Smith

Walter1 I am worried about getting a female because of the possibility of BOGA and her mating. I am not suited to handle a whole clutch of eggs. I take my hat off to all the good breeders out there for doing it every year. I have to wait until my son go off to college this year, because like every good parent I am going to make sure my son do not come back by turning his room into a reptile room. Lol

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Walter1 I am worried about getting a female because of the possibility of BOGA and her mating. I am not suited to handle a whole clutch of eggs. I take my hat off to all the good breeders out there for doing it every year. I have to wait until my son go off to college this year, because like every good parent I am going to make sure my son do not come back by turning his room into a reptile room. Lol
You're a wise man!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980