• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My journey

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes and provide eight hrs/day basking light. Can even offer small meals. See what he does.

If eats, add/increase warmth. If not cool more.

James Smith

Okay here's another something I like to throw out there. I ran across this COCO shell husk mulch. I was wondering if this would make a good substrate? The reason I am asking is because I can purchase a very large bag for a little over 3 dollars a bag at Menards. I was thinking to mix this with a combination of play sand or eco earth. Have anyone use this or not?

Griffin

Correct me if I’m wrong, but in Argentina if I recall correctly the winter months still enable 10-11 hours of daylight a day, so if you want a more natural day/night cycle for these winter months, wouldn’t 10-11 hours be more optimal?

James Smith

Okay I am having 2 issues. First is my basking spot is too hot. I am trying to get the environment perfect before I put BOGA in his enclosure. The basking spot is dancing between 134 and 138 degrees. I can't raise the light any more than it is. I really do not want take out substrate and lose the 8 inch of substrate height. Any Ideals??

Second issue is: BOGA has been here for 6 days now and he haven't really ate anything. The his small enclosure is just big enough for his 12 inch length and the temp could be a little warmer. He comes out and bask for a bit every day and he just finished his shed. Is he still stressed from the new environment and the trip?? Any ideals ??

Zyn

Either more distance or reduce the wattage of the bulb with a dimmer. Just make sure it’s a dimmable light with a dimmable ballist

What’s his enclosure like if he’s 12 inches it’s already a few months old going to need an actual heat gradient to thermoregulate

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Either more distance or reduce the wattage of the bulb with a dimmer. Just make sure it’s a dimmable light with a dimmable ballist

What’s his enclosure like if he’s 12 inches it’s already a few months old going to need an actual heat gradient to thermoregulate
Exactly. 110-115f spot. Can sit entirely under for a bit or partially so for a while. Low-mid 80s elsewhere, and 70s moist hide. That demands some ditance in the enclosure.

James Smith

Sound advise from the both of you. Thank you. I have manage to get his basking spot temp, as seen in the image, to be at it furthest to closest point of heat: 89 to 123. The rock is so long it couldn't fit under the whole light. The enclosure air temp is 89.4 , however there is a substrate temp gradient of 109 the warmest to 76 the coolest. If I do not leave the door open I can maintain 80% Humidity level. I do believe I am close to the marks
20181115_192740.jpg
20181115_192345.jpg

James Smith

The last issue is, I have a large area of substrate 8 inch deep and that sounds really great and all but I think that is a lot of area to loose BOGA. LOL

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Very good. You're very close. I advise a lower enclosure air temp of low to mid 80s. The basking light must turn off at night to privide the twgu wuth a temp. relief.

James Smith

I got the air temp to a steady 84 degrees and the basking temp max out at 120. I put him in the enclosure this morning and he is loving it.
Now the Adventure is really taking shape.

I would like to upload the short video of him in the enclosure for the first time, but I can't figure out how to get it on the website.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I got the air temp to a steady 84 degrees and the basking temp max out at 120. I put him in the enclosure this morning and he is loving it.
Now the Adventure is really taking shape.

I would like to upload the short video of him in the enclosure for the first time, but I can't figure out how to get it on the website.
Excellent.

James Smith

Okay I have a new issue. I looked everywhere on our site for information on this situation and did not find anything. I used Coco shell husk and Peat Moss mix. Humility is at 65%-70%, I feel that is a little low by the way, and I am seeing mold on the surface and underneath the object like the water dish. Have I done something wrong?

James Smith

911...911....I have a major issue.
I have a major amount of mold in the substrate. It managed it's way down to the bottom of the substrate. It's a greenish white mold that has a strong odor of mold. I used COCO shell husk mulch with Peat moss. There isn't mold going anywhere else because I Dryloc everything. This can not be good for BOGA. PLEASE help. Anyone know what I should do?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980