• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

help needed

Bntegus

the big point here is that reptastic wants to breed a blue and b&w together and what will he get? and there was a lot more then 6 blues imported.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I am no breeder and have never bred tegus, but what I have noticed is tegus like humans tend to take after one or both parents, sometimes even grandparents, whith that said, if blues were really just high ~hite normals wouldn't they produce b/w offspring?I mean if you took 2 blues and bred them you'd get some normals

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You make a valid point. Has anyone bred a high white to high white? If so what was the outcome?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Rayne would be an example of that, both parents are high whites, I doubt she will be considering she. Turn dark and only moderately lightened up so far, she still has a lot of bright white to her after shed but we won't know what she is til for maybe another year

Bntegus

i will be breeding 2 from different clutches this year one the female is from a male blue and female b&w and the male is from a b&w male and blue female and i will also breed the same male to a redxblue that is actually going on right now. and none of these tegus are from a breeder they are all wild caught.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What James said plus the hybrid :s

I don't think blues are the same as b&w's but who knows when we'll ever find out and I definitely don't think blues are just high white b&w. If that was the case why would the hatchlings be so different color? Why wouldn't they just be born high white and not go through the color changes that blues go through? Maybe from a morph stand point and a b&w could be het for blue. But if that was the case then the same should be for redxblue crosses.

The only difference in that being, that reds have their own classification and blues don't,.. yet. But we all know the only way to find out is to breed'em.

Bntegus

sorry i didn't word it right i started out with all wc animals all these where bread in 2010 all the crosses and the blues i used where brought in 2008 yes blues do come in every year people just look in the wrong places lol there to worried about imports being bad so they just look right past them lol this is going to be a war. when ron first brought the blue to the us 4 females had albinos with 2 different males well there is 6 of them. there is no way 6 blues could breed that many in 13 years just my 2-cents do the math.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
I mean, logic is on your side on the importation issue, but I still completely disagree with blues being high white B&W's, mainly because if they were high white they would have a lot of white not a lot of blueish coloration...

Bntegus

im not pointing any fingers at anyone but this is my 2-cents on tegu breeders they all feel they where the first one to breed something like color size morph cross pick any of them but what they forget to tell you is where there breeders came from they all have there little secrets there sells men. breeders can get mad at me all they want but it is the truth they always want to be the first one or the only one.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Bntegus said:
sorry i didn't word it right i started out with all wc animals all these where bread in 2010 all the crosses and the blues i used where brought in 2008 yes blues do come in every year people just look in the wrong places lol there to worried about imports being bad so they just look right past them lol this is going to be a war. when ron first brought the blue to the us 4 females had albinos with 2 different males well there is 6 of them. there is no way 6 blues could breed that many in 13 years just my 2-cents do the math.

So your blues were fresh imports? They were bred to black & whites that were also imports? And the red you bred to was also an import? Is this correct?

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Bntegus said:

With or with out the math over a 13yr period, why not? When they can lay 20 to 40 some odd eggs in a clutch. If Albino tegus were introduced around the same time as Blues then why are there not more or just as many Albinos as there are Blues? Or even hets for that matter. But that's a whole other issue. 13yrs is a a long time especially if females can and are bred within their first 1 1/2 to 2yrs, like some people do.

Like most breeders especially early in the program you sell off most of the males. hold back how ever many females you want to raise and breed those every year or so. That's not including the females that were sold.

Of course most of it is speculation since not all make it to adult hood and breed but at the same time not many are needed with the amount of eggs just one female can have. Males are just donors and pretty much expendable, unless they have a trait you want to work with and try to pass on.

krazyeyez

As much as I hate to say it... Maybe the best source of info for those of you that are virtuous would be to talk to bobby hill at varnyard, or the guy that bought up 70% of agama's tegu stock when they went under.... I don't like farm breeders, for mNy reasons, but these guys know a lot about the basis of the genes, crosses, and what will happen when you do cross them... Bc they do it every year... Some new crosses come up when you mix one with another, look at max from tegutara, 5 dif colors... Look at varnyard's so called "all American", high white with lavendar hughes, which he claims came from a r/b cross and a high white....
You'll never know til you try it.... As for me, I'm waiting for a male with the same traits... I don't wanna mess with a beautiful cross

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I haven't seen any updated pics of Max,.. but what five different colors? He's just a red x b&w and the so called All American is just that, since that's the name they were given.

Hybrid tegus are still fairly new so the big breeders don't even know what will happen until it's done, that's part of the reason why they do it. To see what happens, hopefully get something new and or just different from the norm.

Since we can't import Duseni maybe someone will breed something close to it or any of the other pics of different tegus we see but can't have.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Bntegus said:

Wait I'm confused, you got all of your tegus(blues) in 2008? I thought they were 13 years old?I have no clue as to the import of blues, honestly I don't see them readily availible enough to assume they are regularly imported, one would assume if imported you would see more ads for sale rather than wanted seeing as they are in high demand, I'm with bubblz with 4 females,(let's do the math) 4 females each lay 40 eggs, each clutch yeilds 20 females(that's 80) each one of those females do the same, hypothetically speaking that's 1,600 females produced in 2 generations, now imagine if some of the clutches produced more females than males, its entirely possible

Grendel

Bntegus said:
Please give me an example of where one can get WC Blue tegus every year.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980