• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

help needed

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So I'm sure we have all heard that blues and b/w's have bred before, but I'm having a hard time finding any info, I have tried different search engines, breeders ect still nothing, I would lik to see how they look as hatchings juvies or even adults,any negative comments will be removed promtly

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
To be honest I have looked for a year now to see some pictures and all I have seen are red X blue crosses. I only remember hearing about one cross that hatched out but then heard nothing more, I had wanted to get one of the hatchlings but like I said I heard nothing more.

I think its hard for people to prove a black and white, blue cross sometimes. Hopefully Bosco and Kiska will finally feel the love and give me some eggs this spring. Bosco is ready by Kiska seems hesitant. If things do not work here I hope to see how your cross with Sobek works out.

Bntegus

that is what a high white b&w is you breed a b&w with a blue. i have breed them but i have never breed the young together. so what you will get is a very pretty b&w just my 2-cents.

The long search

reptastic said:
So I'm sure we have all heard that blues and b/w's have bred before, but I'm having a hard time finding any info, I have tried different search engines, breeders ect still nothing, I would lik to see how they look as hatchings juvies or even adults,any negative comments will be removed promtly

Dear lord, i've spent an estimated good twenty minutes trying to help you look for this. I've only found tidbits of information, Godspeed Reptastic, Godspeed.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Bntegus said:
that is what a high white b&w is you breed a b&w with a blue. i have breed them but i have never breed the young together. so what you will get is a very pretty b&w just my 2-cents.

That's not true, bert had a super high white normal that didn't have any blue in her, my females rayne mom is a high white and she dosent have any blue in her, do you have any pics of what they produced?

Chelvis I decided to switch males I'll be using a blue male that right here in il., he's a high white just like sobek, all I find are blueXred or b/wXred

Quartzyellowjacket lol I have been searching what seems like forever

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
reptastic said:
Bntegus said:

That's not true, bert had a super high white normal that didn't have any blue in her, my females rayne mom is a high white and she dosent have any blue in her, do you have any pics of what they produced?

Chelvis I decided to switch males I'll be using a blue male that right here in il., he's a high white just like sobek, all I find are blueXred or b/wXred

Quartzyellowjacket lol I have been searching what seems like forever

This is where I think there are issues of determining whether or not the blue should be classified as a separate species. Where did Bert's high white come from? Was it wild caught, CBB? Is it possible that it was a blue or that blues are just black/white with differing characteristics? Same thing with Rayne's mom, what is the background on her if you have it?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm not sure on berts tegu apparently she was bred by him, I first saw a old video of her a few days ago and a fellow tegu keeper told me a bit about it, as far as raynes mom goes I believe he said she came from one of his clutches a few years back, ill ask him
This was berts girl, I inititially thought blue but I was told she was pure b/w

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEnqDFKVUyE&nomobile=1[/video]

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I remember when I saw that vid of her. She was born here in the US and from Brets stock but more of an odd mutation. I have never though of blue as a different speices really, more like Varnyards giants, the blues are just there own morph.

Bntegus

well blues came from somewhere and no one can really say where. my opinion is that blues are a local but that has nothing to do with what you are asking. i can show you pics but all they are is high whites. this year im going to breed all the combos with pics and all documents to prove there is a whole lot of crap that some breeders are trying to say is not true or they are the only ones with them i have animals that are not from any breeders in the us. im not trying to start **** im just trying to help you breed what you want stop listening to everybody else do what you want.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
With the limited knowledge on wild tegus its always possible, but different b/w's from different area look different, the closest I seen to what resemble ablue in the slightest is the black nose's, I havnt seen any high whites with the black nose(just the tip like blues) but we will see what happens if the breeding actually takes

RamblinRose

5 Year Member
I always found it fascinating that the T. Duseni aka "Yellow Tegu" pictures all have a burnt nose, like a blue does, yet without tear drop markings.

5615042094_cbc237f248_m.jpg

5614440763_3e7127decf_m.jpg

T20duseni1.jpg

I also find it amazing how so many people assume to know all about what classifications blues are without DNA testing to back it all up. :rolleyes:

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
DNA testing would tell us nothing without anything to run it against. In other words we would need someone to go down to south America and sample Tagus from different locals. Even then it would take awhile to determined due to the amount of possible inbreeding and outcrossing the genetic "static" would be hard to get rid of.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think its hard to say one way or the other because we simply just don't know, I wish there were more studies. And articles readily availible on wild tegus

Bntegus

reptastic said:
I think its hard to say one way or the other because we simply just don't know, I wish there were more studies. And articles readily availible on wild tegus

we dont no that much about tegus that is why we are all here. so where does this giant tegu come from? people are paying big money for something they no nothing about i just got a tegu wc from Florida that is 58inch and 21lb one week ago the point is we no nothing it is just what people read and believe there is no standard or proof.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Can we get pics of some of your "high white black and white" blues? I'm 100% sure that high white black and whites come from breeding black and whites with a lot of white together, not from black and whites to blues.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
TegusRawsome80 said:
Can we get pics of some of your "high white black and white" blues? I'm 100% sure that high white black and whites come from breeding black and whites with a lot of white together, not from black and whites to blues.

Are you 100% sure with proof that a "blue" is not just a high white B&W?

Bntegus

james.w said:
TegusRawsome80 said:

Are you 100% sure with proof that a "blue" is not just a high white B&W?

agree.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
RamblinRose said:
Are you 100% sure with proof that a "blue" is just a high white B&W?

No, the issue to me is that nobody seems to know 100% either way. I'm not tryingng to argue or say anyone is wrong, just trying to bring out all the possibilities.

krazyeyez

97.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot, remember that...
Can't say for all, or that some people aren't bewildered by farm breeders or wholesalers trying to make an extra buck, but I do know through my own research in verifying my cross, that blues have tell tail signs, such as the year drop below their eye... The one I have has extremely high contrast white, but she also has the year drop, transparent blue shift on her nose scales, and a little bit more of an attitude...which are are traits known to blues...
It was also explained to me that there were only 6 full blue Argentine's ever imported to the us. Subsequently, most blues are either bred down with whites, or the so called "powder blue" was a success of inbreeding to produce more noticeable atteibutes

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980