• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tobias the Tegu!

Liz Herrera

Oh trust me there will be lots of photos.
Gosh I feel like there so much to be done. I am spending all day tegu proofing the room.
Johnny told me that they are already off crickets which I am so happy about.

What had happen was since some of the ones that from the clutch of the one im getting he sold to some zoo's but that had to have like a physical for tegus before he could sell them which took longer. He told me he didn't think he would have any left, but he ended up only having 4 left!!, and he told me they were going to be beautiful

He said he also has a clutch expecting to hatch next week sometime, and originally I would be waiting on one of those.

So yeah all worked out perfectly, cause I knew I wasn't going crazy and thought they were still in the egg but this works out perfectly

Liz Herrera

Well getting close to bed time, I prob wont get much sleep tonight I am all hyped up, but Tobias should be here early in the morning and the wait is almost over :)

Liz Herrera

Poor lil guy was really freaked out this is the only pic I got of him.
As soon as I put him in cage he ran and hid.

But He's So Damn Cute :)
he hatched on 6-28-13

tob.JPG

Liz Herrera

Johnny told me that he was really calm and easy to handle and wouldn't bite and told me as soon as I start feeding him he should be fine, he really skittish right now but he has been exploring I just left him alone in his room.

Did you feed yours the day you received it? @jtrux

jtrux

5 Year Member
Within 15 minutes of placing him in his enclosure I fed him and he ate right away.

Liz Herrera

I got him to eat a lil bit yesterday so I was happy about that

So today for a lil bit this morning he had discovered his basking area, but he went back in his hide and hasn't been out since. I'm sure he is still adjusting and will come out more within time.

Midwestmonster

5 Year Member
Congratulations!!! Very happy he arrived safely. He's very cute. Just give the little guy some time to get used to you and he'll be fine. What are you going to feed him? Are you feeding in a bin or enclosure?

Liz Herrera

Just for today since now since he's being really shy I put a small amount in his enclosure but he came out this morning to bask a little bit but he went back in his hide and hasn't been out since and not even to eat so im kinda worried but I know your not suppose to mess with them in their hide

What I try to do is open his cage and put the food right outside of it but he never came out so when I had to go to work I put it in there. He ate a little bit yesterday and I put it in the same spot so idk... hope he is ok. I just emailed Johnny and asked him about the situation.

Midwestmonster

5 Year Member
Its a tough situation when they are hiding. I would just worry about him ingesting substrate. Maybe putting the food on his basking spot can avoid this. See what johnny thinks.

Is it possible to put him in a front opening enclosure? I think its less stressful for them since you don't have to reach in from above. A front opening enclosure would give the tegu an opportunity to walkout and get the food. I would put Camilla's food in front so she could walk out to it and i wasn't forced to reach in and freak her out. Tegus will generally go and bask after eating so getting him back in the enclosure shouldn't be an issue.

He probably just needs some time to get used to things. If you need some help feel free to pm me anytime. I get messages all the time with questions. Keep us updated.

Liz Herrera

Yeah he has a front opening enclosure.

Johnny said that this is completely normal.
I might try to put it on his basking spot in the morning and see what he does.
And Thanks I will!

jtrux

5 Year Member
I don't necessarily agree when people say not to disturb them while they are "hiding". I mean, don't go in there and just wrestle them out of there but if you make the effort to gently coax him out, I don't see any problems occurring from that. I do it to mine all the time. If he's buried down in his substrate I will gently rub his tail or back or whatever is exposed and he will stick his head up to see what the deal is and then comes on out. I'm sure it will be natural for him to get a little excited the first few times you did it but after awhile it's going to learn that being woken up while hiding isn't all that bad.

Liz Herrera

yeah i just spent a few hours kinda just petting his tail and working my way up to his back, took me over a hour just to get to him cause he would run :/ I even just lightly picked him up and just set him right back down a few times.

I know its day 3 so im just happy about that.
I kinda wish I got a yearling now, I love my tegu I just fell that he is so fragile and tiny lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam