• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tobias the Tegu!

Liz Herrera

Hey Everyone! wow just want to say after months of searching through hundreds of forums and doing tons of research I am about to soon be a new Chacoan giant tegu hatchling owner, I am receiving mine from Johnny at Tegu Terra. All I know is that they are expected to hatch in the next few weeks and he holds them 2 weeks or so to ensure good health, anyway I am beyond excited!
I have a whole room im redoing/painting for my future tegu, hope he likes the color caramel toffee :p
I already have a 260 gallon enclosure to start off with, I do plan on custom building him a larger setup.
I am going to name my tegu Tobias :)
So far that's it.

If anybody has any good hatchling tips please let me know!!!!
I'm still sort of confused on how to feed them I know what they eat just not sure about portions, and how often for what.

Thanks!:)

Liz Herrera

Kinda figured that I just don't want to over feed him but thanks :)

And oh yeah Tobias is going to hopefully love the camera :p

Midwestmonster

5 Year Member
Congrats! I got my yearling from him on June 4th this year. She was born in October 2012. She has gone from nearly 21 inches then to just about 29 inches as of this week! These suckers grow fast. Lol.

With a hatchling most people feed in a bin since they are so squirmy. What has worked well for my yearling is placing the food dish in the middle of the room and have her walk out to it. That way she never associates me or my hands with food. You can check out my Camilla thread for videos. I personally would never feed in the enclosure. It simply isn't worth the risk of the tegu injesting substrate. Plus it gives the tegu a chance to explore once out.

I also have a specific room for my custom 6x3x2 enclosure. Camilla is very happy in it. I tegu proofed the room and she can roam freely in there and the connecting bathroom. She's even learned to go to the bathroom on the tile for me! Keeps the room and the enclosure smelling nice.

If you have any questions please feel free to pm me. Congrats and good luck. Johnny produces excellent tegus!

Liz Herrera

Omg I've already seen a bunch of your videos. Very lovely tegu by the way she's beautiful!!
This is awesome though.

I just subscribed to your youtube page :)

Midwestmonster

5 Year Member
Thanks for subscribing, means a lot. When you get some videos up, I'll return the favor.

You're going to be very glad you went with teguterra. Johnny is the best!

Liz Herrera

I have no idea I don't even they have hatched yet. I haven't heard anything since the regular argentines hatched :/

Trust me its driving me crazy!

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Congrats, definitely exciting times. For enclosure or even some tegu help, my youtube channel may help. I haven't posted in months but my subscriber base is still growing. Some of my oldest videos are tegu based, and some help with their enclosures.

Johnny is a great guy and I've known him for years now, even had some of his stock in the past. I am certain you will be happy with the tegu you receive. Johnny's always willing to help over the phone, and you'll find that he likes to hold long conversations usually.

Liz Herrera

Holy Cow!
So i just got a email from Johnny saying that the chacoan hatchlings were 6 weeks old and ready to go.
I thought that they were still in the egg so looks like ill be getting my tegu this week!!

I'm so excited!!!

Liz Herrera

I know when i talk to him about a month ago it seemed like they were still in the egg but guess not, but whatever im overly excited. I got to call him tonight and find out how his shipping is and all that good stuff.

Midwestmonster

5 Year Member
I can just imagine how you feel. The sooner it got to the arrival of my tegu I couldn't sleep. Don't worry about johnny's shipping. He does a fantastic job. Is he far from you? Camilla arrived to Chicago safely

Liz Herrera

Johnny is actually only about 3 and 1/2 hours from me.
He told me I could call him between 7-9 but so far I haven't gotten in touch with him

Midwestmonster

5 Year Member
Make sure you leave a voicemail. He usually calls back quickly. If not, emails are very quick too from him.

If I was 3 and a half hours away, I'd be tempted to pick up my tegu and check out his facility. Road trip! Tell your friends to hop in with ya and see what tegu fever is all about. : )

jtrux

5 Year Member
Exactly!! ^^

But seriously though, he's busy this time of year so you will have to leave a message and he'll call you back.

jtrux

5 Year Member
Actually, if you go to his site and register, he will usually respond quickest to PM's.

Liz Herrera

Everything has been taken care of, I will be receiving my tegu Thursday morning!!!
He called me back and he is a great guy to talk to, very informative and kind

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980