• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

the new extreme!!!!!!

Neeko

My guys are basking and jsut had some food. If i get to close they some times bail and run, other times if i walk really slowly up they look at me.

Piercedcub32

I read somewhere on the forum about an "ignoring" technique of taming them, think thats what I am going to try, like all of yours, this morning, my little guy is a torpedo! After taming my colombian, I had forgotten how much time and dedication it took LOL, but here we go again! ;o)

Krissy

Well what we're doing is letting them chill in there for a couple weeks and putting their food in there for the time being. After they're chilled out, we'll put them in a small bin to feed them. That way they don't associate hands going into the cage with food too badly

herpgirl2510

I never took my extreme out to feed him I ignored him for two weeks. I would put food in his cage and work inside his cage. Many times if you pick them up they will either squirm and then relax and close their eyes or relax and lose eyes right away . It is a defense mechanism their logic is if they close their eyes you will go away. I have not had aggression issues with feeding because I did this. I made sure to go into the enclsoure several times a day not just to feed mine. I am willing tobet in a few days when the tegus get more comfortale and warm they will start acting like hathclings a be a bit more nervous.

Dereks-Dragons

had him out last night, was watching tv with me :p then after awhile he crawled up, licked my face and wiggled himself in between my chin and chest Wen I was laying down :b then he went inside my shirt and fell sleep on my shoulder, must have thought he could burrow in cuz he scratched a lil before finally dozing off Haha.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Grats to all who've gotten their tegus already, you'll love them for sure. To those still waiting: at least you get to see some pictures to keep you occupied. :D

Dereks-Dragons said:
had him out last night, was watching tv with me :p then after awhile he crawled up, licked my face and wiggled himself in between my chin and chest Wen I was laying down :b then he went inside my shirt and fell sleep on my shoulder, must have thought he could burrow in cuz he scratched a lil before finally dozing off Haha.
I love the tegu cuddle, such endearing behavior from a lizard! I bring mine indoors for the winter and they spend their hibernation months in the guest room. I've woken up in the morning more than a few times with a tegu on my chest with head tucked under my chin. Sometimes they manage to wedge themselves underneath me without my waking - I'm a heavy sleeper.

Dereks-Dragons

Lol my bigger one my Paraguay red and the extreme both burrow under me on the couch :p they're so cute. Just by watching them you can tell they are very intelligent

new2tegus

Jekyll has already measured out in his cage where he's in range to be picked up lol. Very intelligent, although he doesn't dart away anymore like the first day when I put food in, he will move off if he doesn't want to be bothered, which I try very little to do. I've been feeding him in the tub and giving him some bath time, he will hangout with me there. He fell asleep in my hand a few times while in there. I moved him in there because he's a shaker when he eats, and the food goes everywhere. He will then leave the plate and go look for what came off,and with the substrate in there I'm worried he will get a piece in there and it will hurt him. He loves to burrow under the fieldstone in there, I get worried but, they've been doing this forever, so I'm sure they are very good at excavating.

herpgirl2510

I love the way my extreme will shake his food to death even wen it is a piee of egg it is pretty entertaining but it does make a mess :). If they seem fine when you pik them up I know I could not resist picking them up. Maybe because I get sub aduls and adults I have not been able to tame mine down quickly.

Dereks-Dragons

I know what u mean about taming the adults, not with tegus though but I used to have 2 extremely aggressive adult male green iguana rescues. Horrible. One of them tore the back of my head open in multiple spots. But after a month or so of work and trust building I have two perfect iguanas. Not tame, no such thing as a take iguana in my opinion if they trust you and you trust them all is good, its a trust bond. My iggies aren't that great with new people or dogs tho. My baby is is a shaker too its adorable. Half him food goes flying :p my,red doesn't and never has done this he picks it up and then like tosses it down his throat like a rat he shakes hi head up and down lol. My red it great though, he refuses to eat foot that touched dirt. I saw him drop a piece, go to eat it then push it away with his nose so I put more in the dirt to see what the deal was and he did it again :p my baby will just plow thru anything it kinda worries me that he may eat some cypress i have to tub feed him, my red since he's not rele messy I just put his food on a plate and put it down on the floor and he comes out to get it

kellen.watkins

i wont put food in the enclosure for the same reason, i see her eat turkey she splatted off the wall whats to stop her from eating it off the substrate

Dereks-Dragons

My baby only ate a like yesterday then hid. When he's out he's out.comes up to me and isn't scared. But he hid like all day yesterday. Inside his rock hide I stuffed it full of sphagmum moss and wet it and he stays burried in there but I think its becuse he's shedding

new2tegus

I've taken him out for feeding, he seems fine with it, he calms right down, I don't really have to hold him,he doesn't try to jump he just hangs out watching me, sleeping, or crapping in my hand lol, thanks Jekyll. His butt wiggle dance isn't that pronounced yet. I think that was for misting him down. I do love the little guy though, he's amazing. I think he watches me as much as I watch him. If I'm sitting down watching tv, he will turn so he can see me, and he doesn't dart when I walk over like he did on the first day.

Neeko

Every time i put my hand in they slowly move away form it. I'm waiting till they don't to feed in a bin.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602