• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegusonly family

sphenodon

I think it's a pretty cool way idea to help remove them from Florida. If I were to get an Argentine, I think I'd get one from him. Does he ever have hatchlings?

I think I'm actually more interested in the Columbian tegu though. I don't really like some of the pics I've seen of the tegus with huge jowls. unless they were just overweight and extra big...

sphenodon

The jowels just means its an adult male. No. Overweight at all.
I think I saw a video of this guy (MacGyver):
Not sure if it was this particular video or another one but it just looked really hideous to me. :( monstrously huge jowls when I first saw this one (my initial intro to tegus). I was like, I hope they don't all grow up looking like that... :confused:

Edit: actually it may have been this one

Alonso

5 Year Member
Yeah as far as i have seen Reds and B&W get big jowels.

The blues i have saw are that jowely. They also dont get as large.

Roadkill

5 Year Member
The jowls are a typical trait of all the male tegus in the Salvator genus, it's a secondary sexual characteristic. However, that particular Salvator rufescens in the video links above is obese. It is not the jowls that are the indicator, the limbs and tail give away the body condition.

Alonso

5 Year Member
Alright thanks for the clarification.

He is saying he doesnt know if he wants an aregentine because of the jowels. He just though it meant they were obese.

sphenodon

The jowls are a typical trait of all the male tegus in the Salvator genus, it's a secondary sexual characteristic. However, that particular Salvator rufescens in the video links above is obese. It is not the jowls that are the indicator, the limbs and tail give away the body condition.
I'd want a hatchling...I'm assuming sex can't be guaranteed that young. That's why I was leaning more towards a Columbian. I don't mind if it takes extra work for taming. Ultimately I'd like an active, interactive lizard who is extremely food motivated for my training experiments.

Interestingly enough, I've found my beardie appears to be mostly/only responsive to visual cues but my blue tongue skink appears to be more responsive to auditory (or possibly vibration) cues. I'll bet it would be fun to work with a tegu!

Sorry to the OP, I'm totally off topic. :(

Rodney Irwin

5 Year Member
Thank you Roadkill for shedding light on an all to common problem. Obesity is just as bad for tegus as it is for humans.
The heart,digestive system, lungs and limbs suffer and shorten the life of animal. Many people like to watch their tegu eat
and do not realize they may be killing it with kindness.

Brittany

Got my girl from him 4 weeks ago and love her to death

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 56

Rebecca Stout

Ohhhh really? I didn't know that! I thought they were most often normal or tanish. Am I wrong? I hope others chime in.

I know he has, or has had a lot of what he calls "fire bellies". I know for fact he's noted for those and those are not high whites.
I'd like to hear a round about guess of how many high whites as compared to normals. There is a reason for me asking, which I'll explain after some replies.

Rebecca Stout

Okay, so I just went all over his site. And I'm seeing mostly white and black or cream and black. A small percentage of firebelly (he made up the name to id them). And it's very updated.
edit: went over his site in depth. he says he has them, so with that statement and along with your photo I know thats true. But in all the videos and photos of them, there isnt' any shown.

Last edited:

Rebecca Stout

So how old was yours when you got him/her? And was it already fairly tame? There is a chance mine is from him (complicated story). And she acted wild, but sweet. No matter how freaked out, she never even motions like she will bite. Shes tame now by the way.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me