• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Rhino Iguana socializing

teguboy77

5 Year Member
My rhino is not that flighty as well,but he never was and with me sitting in front of his tank while he eats and feeding him while hes in his cage he will let me pet him now.Again i think the one thing that seems to be stand out is just taking it slow and not forceing yourself on your rhino let him get use to you that works for me and my rhino.:)
herpgirl2510 said:
I did get it. :)
Hopefully he is as great as he said.

I do understandthat he will come and not be as comfortable with me but I figure he has a good start with being around people. I am going to be working with my new extreme also who has not been handled. I will give updates i am irritated I can't post pics.

Good luck with your new rhino,give updates on your new rhino and pictures of him/her.:)

herpgirl2510

He came he is great very calm. He was jsut eating greens etc while I watched. I am going to let him settle in before handling him. Unless of course he crawls up my arm to come out.:) He is very bulky and 24". He has alot of blue green on his feet.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Congrats on the new rhino,they are very awsome lizards and as someone mentioned are worth the time the and patience to make them docile,post pictures of the rhino when you get a chance.:)

RobK.

herpgirl2510 said:
He came he is great very calm. He was jsut eating greens etc while I watched. I am going to let him settle in before handling him. Unless of course he crawls up my arm to come out.:) He is very bulky and 24". He has alot of blue green on his feet.

PHOTOS !!! :D:D:D

herpgirl2510 said:
I did get it. :)
Hopefully he is as great as he said.

I do understandthat he will come and not be as comfortable with me but I figure he has a good start with being around people. I am going to be working with my new extreme also who has not been handled. I will give updates i am irritated I can't post pics.
[/quot

IF you can e-mail me a photo i will be glad to post it , using photobucket .

[email protected]

RobK.

herpgirl2510

I can't download the pics my portal is fried Dell said I have a virus and need to pay $230 to have it fixed I need to wait after my lizard christmas for myself I had.I have to get to my mother in law and download them to my phot bucket. Does everyone's have turquiose blue and black feet he has alot of that coloring on his face to. He has freddy Krueger nails so i paid the price trying to put him back in the cage without gloves.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Darn sorry to hear about your computer.My rhino does has some turquiose blue and black feet but his body and head are more of a rust orange and grey color,and his belly his rust orange i guess thats why he's called a russets line rhino iguana lol.I cut my rhino's nails myself he's pretty mellow so i do it myself cause if not his can be sharp too.

herpgirl2510

I am going to wait to try my guy has gotten much more wary of me which is to be expected I am new to him. My guy is dark green with a cream belly but his colors seem to change with the temp. I don't know if he is a russets or not. he has alot of turquiose on his face to prehistoric looking the kind of guy you want on your bad side.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Wow sound like a really cool looking rhino cant wait to see pictures.Russets rhino is a rob ehrig line of rhino's,and there's not alot of them out there i got mine off rob him self and he was going to keep him but sold him to me as i delt with rob ehrig before,and i wanted a male so i bought the russets of rob ehrig and it cost alittle more than rob ehrigs regular rhino's but its just a color difference thats it.:)

RobK.

my rhino has calmed down so much in the last week . he will just bout let do anything in his cage . He 's not ready for me to handle him , though i have not tried . I will wait for a while for that . Its like a switch went of in his head , that i am not going to hurt him . Anytime i put my hand in his cage he runs right over to it . Looking for treat most likely . He will eat anything i put in my hand or fingers . He loves watercres and figs as a treat.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
RobK. said:
my rhino has calmed down so much in the last week . he will just bout let do anything in his cage . He 's not ready for me to handle him , though i have not tried . I will wait for a while for that . Its like a switch went of in his head , that i am not going to hurt him . Anytime i put my hand in his cage he runs right over to it . Looking for treat most likely . He will eat anything i put in my hand or fingers . He loves watercres and figs as a treat.

Thats good to hear you not forcing yourself on him i think that works well with rhino's,at least mine it does.I let mine free roam my bed on his soak days and he lets me pet him mines getting alot better too.Post more pictures of your rhino,did tom sex your rhino?

RobK.

teguboy77 said:
RobK. said:

Thats good to hear you not forcing yourself on him i think that works well with rhino's,at least mine it does.I let mine free roam my bed on his soak days and he lets me pet him mines getting alot better too.Post more pictures of your rhino,did tom sex your rhino?

no , tom said there is no accurate way to sex a young rhino . He said probing is not safe or accurate . so not sure of its sex . ?? I hope it a male , i don't want to worry about it being graved or nesting boxes . but of its a female that ok too, but hope its a male .

mine did not like being soaked and got real stressed , and ater every soaking would take hours to caulm do or move sometimes . best thing i did FOR MINE was stop oaking and up his humidity and mist him twice a day . he's doing 300% better since i stopped . never two a like i guess !!

Dang , i need to get my glass fixed so i don't have so many darn typos .I Just can see well up close anymore !!!!!!!! .

herpgirl2510

I hae been basically the last few days putting food in the cage sometimes showing him my hand. I don't try and touchhim because I can see he would not like that.

He is funny he never takes his eyes off me when I am in the room. He just spends alot of time under his basking spot my cage is tall because it was going to be for a green iguana he does like to climbing the large umbrella tree.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
RobK. said:
teguboy77 said:
RobK. said:

no , tom said there is no accurate way to sex a young rhino . He said probing is not safe or accurate . so not sure of its sex . ?? I hope it a male , i don't want to worry about it being graved or nesting boxes . but of its a female that ok too, but hope its a male .

mine did not like being soaked and got real stressed , and ater every soaking would take hours to caulm do or move sometimes . best thing i did FOR MINE was stop oaking and up his humidity and mist him twice a day . he's doing 300% better since i stopped . never two a like i guess !!

Dang , i need to get my glass fixed so i don't have so many darn typos .I Just can see well up close anymore !!!!!!!! .

Well i guess there's no way to be 100% on sex but i guess some breeders are better then others as far as sexing animals,rob ehrig i guess been working with rhino's for 30 something years,and has rhino's for over 25 years i guess he knows how to sex them.MINE seems fine with the soaking twice a week as my humidity is at 55% again they come a dry from a dry habitat.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I was told by Ehrig that Iguanas can't be sexes at a young age and anyone who says they can sex them has no idea what they are talking about.

Also how are they from a dry climate when the average humidity is 65% where they are from???

RobK.

Todays humidity in the Dominican republic is from 65-74% and after sunset it goes up even higher .I know they can do fine kepping them in the 50% range , but they don't come from very dry climate at all. And i bet at night when they are underground the humididty is in the high 80%. I just like kepping mine as close to the thier natural humidity levels as i can . I bet he would be fine at 50 , but i want to keep mine from 45-75 +/- like in the wild . I like to vary his temp through the day also . but that just me . :rolleyes:

Most of the time when i look at the weather there , the humidity is in the 65-80% .

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Well im on the phone with tom Crutchfield rite now 239) 645-9661 its funny he just said it super dry and they get some rain and to much humidty isn't that good i guess give him a call he'll tell you its not me trying rant on but i called him and as i'm typing he talking to me,and said a lower humidty is better.So i guess thats how i got my information.:-/
james.w said:
I was told by Ehrig that Iguanas can't be sexes at a young age and anyone who says they can sex them has no idea what they are talking about.

Also how are they from a dry climate when the average humidity is 65% where they are from???

Well my rhino was 7 months old when i bought him right from rob ehrig and when we spoke on the phone he said he probed it as a male russets which i was looking for a male,i know at a young age it cant be 100% but thtats what the man told me.Were do they come from Hispaniola, Haiti and the dominican Republic,Isla Beata and the extreme of the Barahona Peninsula inside Parque Nacional Jaragua.
teguboy77 said:
Well im on the phone with tom Crutchfield rite now 239) 645-9661 its funny he just said it super dry and they get some rain and to much humidty isn't that good i guess give him a call he'll tell you its not me trying rant on but i called him and as i'm typing he talking to me,and said a lower humidty is better.So i guess thats how i got my information.:-/
james.w said:

Well my rhino was 7 months old when i bought him right from rob ehrig and when we spoke on the phone he said he probed it as a male russets which i was looking for a male,i know at a young age it cant be 100% but thtats what the man told me.Were do they come from Hispaniola, Haiti and the dominican Republic,Isla Beata and the extreme of the Barahona Peninsula inside Parque Nacional Jaragua.
Talked to rob ehrig on the phone just a couple of minutes ago about sex rhino's,he said he probed almost everything he hatched and again call him and he'll tell you him self.As far as my russets rhino he said he probed him and it was 14mm and hes 99% its a male but he said there always a chance of being wrong but he has been doing it so long hes never really off.:)

RobK.

If too much humidity is bad for the Rhinos i guess tom chrutchfiled needs to move out of florida or his may die. Just look at any weather report in the Dominican republic or Hometsead florida , its warm and rains every day , that = humidity . Homestead florida ( toms location) had 77% humidity today ( 82 right now ) and thier going to have rain all week and humidity in the high 60-70 and his rhinos live out side . But hey, each his own !!

click on detail to see what the humididty is going to be .

http://www.weather.com/weather/extended/USFL0208?par=yahoo&site=www.yahoo.com&promo=extendedforecast&cm_ven=Yahoo&cm_cat=www.yahoo.com&cm_pla=forecastpage&cm_ite=CityPage

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Hey i talk to two breeders and they both said they come from dry areas in the wild,you act like you been there to see the rhino's in the wild,i'll take there word anytime,and your rite to each there own,tom said to much humidy isnt good,and that a lower humidity was better,i been to fl humidity seems to be between 50% range and 80%.If your rhino's from him give him a call so he can exsplain why i said they come from dry habitate.But i'm done going on about this .

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
This is the second time I have been in a thread like this with Teguboy. He just can't be wrong, like Rob said, where Tom is located has a fairly high average humidity and where Rhinos are found has a fairly high average humidity. Noone is saying you can't keep your at 45-50% but that doesn't mean it is right or that they come from a dry area.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam