• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Rhino Iguana socializing

herpgirl2510

I was up at NERD this weekend and I saw there adult rhino iguanas and I thought they were amazing. I have noticed a few of you have babies right now I was curious how you were socializing them. I have been told a hands off approach for quite a long time 1-2 years. You should just offer food and do cage maintenance but not try to handle. Curious what others were told and what they were doing there is not much info on the web about this.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
This is the technique I am using. I don't attempt to pick up or touch mine at all.

Maro1

I am about to get a Rhino Iguana. Have wanted one for years. So your saying don touch him for 2 years?

herpgirl2510

That must take alot of patience. I know I would have a hard time with that. They are awesome though.

Yes I spoke with tom crutchfield who has been breeding them for 40 years he said there is no way around it if you try to force handle they will never trust you. I figured maybe it was like when you build trust with a monitor he said it takes nuch more time than that years in fact.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
As far as having patience goes, I have other herps and kids so it actually makes it easier that I don't have to handle him at the moment. Hahaha. Gives me more time with the other stuff I got going on.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
I agree with some of the other post already posted about not really interacting as least as possiable,you got understand rhino's are nervouse as it is and if some big human tries to pick there rhino up and force them self on them thats not going to help.Now the only time i interact with mine is during feeding,cleaning,and soaking and then when hes done soaking i'll sit in the bathroom in the floor and let him free roam and my rhino will come up to me and rub himself on me when he shedding but i still dont really try to grab him unless cleaning cage.I also sit in front of his cage for a bit when hes eating and he will eat right in front of me with no fear at all.Soon i will start letting mine free roam my bathroom while i'm sitting on the floor and no were for him to escape for 20 minutes twice a week but not for a while yet and free roam the bathroom with me in there i think that helps them get use to you to.

herpgirl2510

True I do have other herp that I am worknig with so just having to interact to feed and maintain the cage would make life easier right now. I know some of you have crutchfield babies how do you like them.

teguboy 777 how long have you had yours.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Well my new rhino about almost a month but i've had two theres in the past,and had green iguanas all the way back to when i was 11 years old lol.Mines not a tom crutchfield,i got minefrom rob ehrig and mines a russets rhino too,i only deal with rob ehrig nothing against any othere breeder its just every rhino i ever owned from him has been awsome and my russets i have now is great plus there not as many around as a regular rhino not that i dont like regular rhino's cause there guys on here that have awsome rhino.:)

RobK.

herpgirl2510 said:
I have been told a hands off approach for quite a long time 1-2 years. You should just offer food and do cage maintenance but not try to handle.

That seems to be the #1 approach to taming a Rhino , from what i have read and been told . So thats what i am doing . Patience for 2-3 years is the key !! With mine its a three steps forward , two steps back kinda thing , at least it seems that way some times .:rolleyes: I still love the little guy though .:heart: Today when i fed him , he just about ran over the top of my hand for the food dish . So he's calming down . When i first got him, sometime it could take him 1-2 hours before he would calm down and even move to the dish , after i came in the room .

herpgirl2510 said:
That must take a lot of patience. I know I would have a hard time with that. They are awesome though.

My Rhino sure tries my patience for sure . But I am getting better !!:D

teguboy77

5 Year Member
RobK. said:
herpgirl2510 said:
I have been told a hands off approach for quite a long time 1-2 years. You should just offer food and do cage maintenance but not try to handle.

That seems to be the #1 approach to taming a Rhino , from what i have read and been told . So thats what i am doing . Patience for 2-3 years is the key !! With mine its a three steps forward , two steps back kinda thing , at least it seems that way some times .:rolleyes: I still love the little guy though .:heart: Today when i fed him , he just about ran over the top of my hand for the food dish . So he's calming down . When i first got him, sometime it could take him 1-2 hours before he would calm down and even move to the dish , after i came in the room .

herpgirl2510 said:
That must take a lot of patience. I know I would have a hard time with that. They are awesome though.

My Rhino sure tries my patience for sure . But I am getting better !!:D

Thats funny your rhino ran over your hand to get to his food lmao,mines not shy about eating in front of me either once the food dish is down hes over there eating lol,my rhino is getting alot more use to me as hes not that flighty at all,sometimes i'll just sit in front of his cage and watch him,hes funny he'll come right in front of me in his cage and sit there lol rhino's are great lol.

RobK.

the only thing i have done with mine ,is hand feed him . I started doing that after he started eating out of his feed bowl , before i even had a chance to put it down . he wil eat fruit and watercress and other leaves out of my hand . I don't pick him up , stopped giving him baths and just keep his temps and humidity right , and spray him down with a mist 1-2 times a day when he is shedding . Mine is really calming dowm more and more by the day . he no longer runs or seems scarred of me ,when i clean his cage or feed him or get near him .

http://www.youtube.com/user/rgkempton#p/u/1/HrxZ1FC4ckk

CAPTAIN LIZARD

5 Year Member
RobK. said:
the only thing i have done with mine ,is hand feed him . I started doing that after he started eating out of his feed bowl , before i even had a chance to put it down . he wil eat fruit and watercress and other leaves out of my hand . I don't pick him up , stopped giving him baths and just keep his temps and humidity right , and spray him down with a mist 1-2 times a day when he is shedding . Mine is really calming dowm more and more by the day . he no longer runs or seems scarred of me ,when i clean his cage or feed him or get near him .

http://www.youtube.com/user/rgkempton#p/u/1/HrxZ1FC4ckk

There are tame baby Rhinos

Attachments

• IMAG0181.jpg
    IMAG0181.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 46

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Rhino iguana's all have different personalities,some more docile than others,mine is getting better bye me letting him get use to me not forcing myself on him that seems to work well for me and my rhino.Again until they know your not a threat and trust you it just takes time and they should turn out ok.Just mine opinion.:)

herpgirl2510

I have been talking to a guy who is selling an 18 month old he says he is very calm. He has him going to the bathroom when he comes out on some paper towels.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
My rhino is starting to let me put my hand in his cage and pet him this is a first,other two rhino's i had in the past didn't let me,so i guess the approach i'm taking is working for me.Also i dont force myself on my rhino and that seems to be working,and taking it slow.

RobK.

No two are alike just like us , so you have to go slow and play it by ear . My first one was calm from the get go , and at 2 weeks would let me hold him ,feed him by hand and pet him . This one look me month sitting in his room , while not looking at him , while i ate lunch, worked on the laptop and even tooks naps . Then all at once ( last week ) he calmed down and food ment more to him than me . He's now very very very curious , way more active and never stops eating .Then minute i walk in his room he jumps down fron his basking area , go to the glass waching me . If i walk in the room with his food , he begs and scratches on the glass while i put the Cal and vitamins on it . He's so much more fun now .

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
herpgirl2510 said:
I have been talking to a guy who is selling an 18 month old he says he is very calm. He has him going to the bathroom when he comes out on some paper towels.

is this the one on fauna, if so did you get cause the guy emailed me saying it was sold as I was interested in it.

herpgirl2510

I did get it. :)
Hopefully he is as great as he said.

I do understandthat he will come and not be as comfortable with me but I figure he has a good start with being around people. I am going to be working with my new extreme also who has not been handled. I will give updates i am irritated I can't post pics.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam