• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Reptile Educational Show

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
Turtles should be introduced but I don't have any yet, and I'm already thinning my collection down for the military...

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
DZLife said:
DaveDragon said:
PuffDragon said:
I always enjoy when someone has a huge tortoise. They are tractable and slower than other herps. Good hands on display IMO.
The only problem with a big tortoise, such as a Sulcata, is they are big bulldozers and can hurt someone. And they need a large bulletproof area to live in.

Bullet proof?
They don't change direction for anything and they have very sharp shells. Anything that gets in the way will be run over or pushed aside and scraped by the edge of the shell. This is very painful!! They also can do alot of damage to furniture.

Markie

5 Year Member
I would love to have a burmese python, but I guess I forgot to mention I am going to be in an apartment? lol. So I don't think that would work out too great.

I thought about adding a couple amphibians as well, but I probably wouldn't add them until later.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
DZLife said:
DaveDragon said:
PuffDragon said:
I always enjoy when someone has a huge tortoise. They are tractable and slower than other herps. Good hands on display IMO.
The only problem with a big tortoise, such as a Sulcata, is they are big bulldozers and can hurt someone. And they need a large bulletproof area to live in.

Bullet proof?
They don't change direction for anything and they have very sharp shells. Anything that gets in the way will be run over or pushed aside and scraped by the edge of the shell. This is very painful!! They also can do alot of damage to furniture.

I know what you're talkin about! XD
When I still went back and forth between my parents' houses, at my fathers, we had to build an iron fence around the Sulcata area, as they would manage to break anything else....they've even damaged the wrought iron fence. One of our old females recently passed away....I wasn't there, so I don't know why.

Oh, and before I get any criticism, we DID have a large enclosed hut that has heating lamps that turn on at night.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ApriliaRufo said:
2 Crested Geckos (no matter how old you are, seeing something 5 inches long jumping 8ft is impressive)

I've never seen or heard of Cresteds jumping 8 ft, unless you mean from a tree top with some downward gliding. From a flat surface, stand still, I don't think they can jump 8 ft. Got any information on this for me?

ZEKE

5 Year Member
you should add an aboreal gecko. they are cool because they can climb up glass and stuff. like a crestie or a leachie would be awesome! i think a leachie would be cooler for a show because they are bigger and pretty awesome.

you should also add a frog. maybe a pacman or pixie frog?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ZEKE said:
you should add an aboreal gecko. they are cool because they can climb up glass and stuff. like a crestie or a leachie would be awesome! i think a leachie would be cooler for a show because they are bigger and pretty awesome.

you should also add a frog. maybe a pacman or pixie frog?
These shows are usually somewhat hands on. You wouldn't want to bring a lizard that could dart away or get squished by an overzealous kid.

ZEKE

5 Year Member
oooh ok. i didnt relize they were all hands on dave. well i have never handled a leachie but they are fairly big. about the size of a beardie. im not sure how fast they are tho. maybe one of those might be good?

Markie

5 Year Member
They don't all necessarily have to be hands on for my show. Most of the animals are going to be able to be handled, but if I had a crested or an amphibian, they wouldn't be handled.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
IMO, the more hands-on the show is, the more appealing it is, of course it is always nice to have something outstandingly "cool" or "beautiful" that is just for looking...

Keith_w

5 Year Member
I'd say a big retic would be impresive. My 9 1/2 is like a cow, you can grab and pull on her with even getting a second look. That is of course if you dont smell like food, so small children smelling like the pet dog may not be a good idea.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have White's Tree Frogs that I allow the kids to touch. I only allow one finger touches and I explain why. Turtles pee on people, be forewarned...it can be a turn-off in a show. Corn snakes and beardies are awesome for their docility. People like the roughness of the beardie, are surprised that they aren't as sharp as they look, and some kids really get a kick out being the one or two people that can identify them. I don't work with geckos because of their fragility both with handling and traveling.

Markie

5 Year Member
Yeah, in most of the shows I helped with at least one animal peed. It didn't seem to bother anybody too much though. Lol.

scotty93801

5 Year Member
Hi. Markie
I live in Cleveland Texas and I have quite a few large boas but no Dumerials. Let me know if I can help ya.
Scott

KoreanDeathKid

5 Year Member
1. burmese python
2. dwarf caiman
3. black throat monitor
4. argentine tegu
5 sulcata tortoise
6. snapping turtle
7. monkey tail skink
8. bearded dragons
9. crested geckos
10. rose hair tarantula
11. emperor scorpion
12. columbian boa

just my opinion

hoosier

5 Year Member
i noticed someone before suggested a an ornate nile. IMO most niles are pretty agressive but you may find some exceptions. if you are going to go with a monitor your best choice would e an ackie, sav, BT or WT or a water monitor. all tame down quite well. the ackies are small and the waters are quite impressive. i would go with the water if you are looking for an attention getter. its hard to ignore a 50+lb 6ft+ lizard lol

scotty93801

5 Year Member
Mostly columbian but I have some really big 7 feet 60 lbs and some so so 12 lbs 6 feet.
I have some of them on my web page boasandmore.com

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I sometimes do presentations for my sister's school. This was one of my favorite snakes to bring until I found her a new home:

class1yy2.jpg

class2ru7.jpg

class3nh8.jpg

class4wk0.jpg

class5hd3.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member