• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Reptile Educational Show

Markie

5 Year Member
I have been working with a guy who owns a business that does reptile educational shows and now I am starting to put together my own show.

I'm trying to figure out what my final line-up of reptiles will be, so I was wondering what ya'll's opinion on it was.

What kinds of reptiles do you think would be good for a show like this? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Markie

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Tegu/s!!!
Maybe a ball python.
Kingsnake or Cornsnake.

In other words, reptiles that tend to be quite docile and tolerant of people in general. You don't want to scare someone away from the reptile community because you brought in a "vicious evil reptile." :p

Those were the first ideas that came to mind.

Markie

5 Year Member
I have a ball python and I am definately getting a tegu :)

California Kingsnakes are so pretty.. I might end up with one!

I've been told time and again that I don't need a large snake to make the show interesting (most people find a 4-5 ft. snake big enough as it is!), but I can't help but want a bigger snake for the show.. Not sure what kind I could get though that wouldn't get TOO terribly big.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Dumeril boas are very docile and get to be 5-8ft. Ours is 5.5ft and a bit thin. She's very strong for her size and girth.

Of course a Burmese python is always the best big snake to show with their great temperament (as long as no one smells like a rat or rabbit!). Line up 6 kids in a row to hold it.

A big Bearded Dragon might be a good way to introduce lizards before bringing out the Tegu. We brought or big Red Tegu to a couple of places today. Most kids were very interested and most adults were terrified!

It wouldn't hurt to have some big bugs like hissing cockroaches or tarantula.

Markie

5 Year Member
I never thought of a dumeril boa.. sounds perfect actually. Thanks for that idea!

I want a medium-sized lizard as well, but I can't decide between a bearded dragon and a blue tongue skink. A bearded dragon would be easier to find, but I LOVE blueys.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Markie said:
I never thought of a dumeril boa.. sounds perfect actually. Thanks for that idea!

I want a medium-sized lizard as well, but I can't decide between a bearded dragon and a blue tongue skink. A bearded dragon would be easier to find, but I LOVE blueys.
Beardies are really rough, a BTS is smooth, probably more appealing to anyone touching them. Beardies are much easier to find.

Kazzy

5 Year Member
Don't forget some leopard geckos! Maybe some turtles/tortoises. Dumerils are great, and so are Berms.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
DZLife said:
DaveDragon said:
DZLife said:
For a show, a dumerils would be best, imo.
Or a big Ball Python.

Yeah, if it were me, I'd bring my ball, but she is still growing.
I'm in the same boat, my BP is only 3.5ft but my Dumeril is 5.5ft but thin. I think what impresses people more is a thick snake, like an older BP or a Burm. My Dum won't get too much thicker.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I always enjoy when someone has a huge tortoise. They are tractable and slower than other herps. Good hands on display IMO.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
PuffDragon said:
I always enjoy when someone has a huge tortoise. They are tractable and slower than other herps. Good hands on display IMO.
The only problem with a big tortoise, such as a Sulcata, is they are big bulldozers and can hurt someone. And they need a large bulletproof area to live in.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
PuffDragon said:
The only problem with a big tortoise, such as a Sulcata, is they are big bulldozers and can hurt someone. And they need a large bulletproof area to live in.

Bullet proof?

Markie

5 Year Member
This is what I have for my show so far:

Leopard Gecko
Red-Eared Slider
Musk Turtle
Ball Python
Rainbow Boa
Black Rat Snake
Leucistic Black Rat Snake

And I might add a crested gecko when the weather is nice enough. Of course, I would probably keep it in some kind of case and not allow people to touch it.

This is what I planned on adding:

Bearded Dragon/Blue Tongue Skink
B&W Tegu
Common Snapper
Red Foot Tortoise
And then some kind of larger snake..leaning towards the dumerils.

There are so many interesting snakes I would love to add (rosy boas, sand boas, milksnakes, etc.), but I'm trying to keep it relatively basic for now.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Markie said:
This is what I have for my show so far:

Leopard Gecko
Red-Eared Slider
Musk Turtle
Ball Python
Rainbow Boa
Black Rat Snake
Leucistic Black Rat Snake

And I might add a crested gecko when the weather is nice enough. Of course, I would probably keep it in some kind of case and not allow people to touch it.

This is what I planned on adding:

Bearded Dragon/Blue Tongue Skink
B&W Tegu
Common Snapper
Red Foot Tortoise
And then some kind of larger snake..leaning towards the dumerils.

There are so many interesting snakes I would love to add (rosy boas, sand boas, milksnakes, etc.), but I'm trying to keep it relatively basic for now.

Oh boy, the Rainbow Boa was a REALLY good choice!

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
no, actually. most bullets would go right through...I've seen it personally :(

I think the bulletproof area would be so it couldn't crack the enclosure...that's why you use giant rubber tubs!

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes, I know they aren't BP...I was just messin around. There was somthing recently stated (I forget where) about a turtle arriving with bullet holes in it.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
When we go to schools we take the following.

1 Albino Burmese (A gentle giant is a must, it is simply the best closer you can introduce to people)

1 B&W Tegu (Kids love it and they love the fact that Apollo is a JERK, so it makes them laugh)

1 Ornate Nile Monitor (Although I was against it at first, my friend's ONM is actually very well behaved and doesn't mind attention. Trick is to feed is greedy ass first. Then he's not agressive or hungry and he just lazily mozies around.)

2 Crested Geckos (no matter how old you are, seeing something 5 inches long jumping 8ft is impressive)

2 Ball Pythons (The basic starter pet for people)

1 Cali-Banded King (To show what animals live in our area.)

and of course my buddy's 7 inch Pyxie frog.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980