• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Reallly need advise!!!!

ashesc212

5 Year Member
ARGH people like that guy should just not exist! :rant :bang

I'm glad you were able to get ahold of these tegus though. What condition were the other tegus and monitor in?

I would call the ASPCA and offer to go down there with them. You have the pictures, and you know where his apartment is. It's worth it for those little guys that could be suffering, and to prevent any future suffering if he breeds them.

throneofjade

5 Year Member
Hey props to you koikaren. People like that shouldn't be able to have animals. I can't believe that he wants to breed tegus too. Those poor animals. If you need any help let me know. You did good. You are those little guys angel.

rrcoolj

5 Year Member
It's real easy to buy a breeder quality tegu but it's differnt to take in animals that you know are in bad shape and need extra atention. Great job taking them in, im sure they will be much happier with you!

koikaren

5 Year Member
thank you to everyone and i will keep you updated....Going to call around tomorrow and try to get these little guys into a vet and give them a once over but no matter what i wont let a vet put them down because i am already noticing a big difference in the one that wasnt as bad off...He is more active, curious, eating and drinking...the other is not doing any better but he is way worse and i have had them less then 24hrs...We have named them stubby and notoes....lol...Im teaching my bf how to care for tegus properly and when the better of the two is in full recovery im gonna give it to her and the worse of the two will have a forever home with me where i can make sure nothing else bad happens to him and make sure the extra care he needs will be meet...

koikaren

5 Year Member
Okay so called around to a couple of vets...alot thought it was best to put them down...no way...but got them an appt for next week...hope things turn out good...The heathier of the two (notoes) is eating like a horse and basking...the other (stubby) is drinking but not eating yet and hasnt basked since the first day..but will see once they are more confortable...:)

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Hey Karen, if you can, every now and then, bring them outside, of course in their enclosure, to allow them to absorb some sun rays. I know we all try and give our gus the best lighting we can but IMO, nothing beats them basking in real sun. I take Beauregard outside in his feeding bin to bask twice a week, and boy they aren't kidding, the sun, or the air, or whatever it is really puts them in a frisky mood, makes 'em a little wild.

As you know the sun will help with the MBD. You have a heart of gold, so does your husband for supporting you. Best of luck with these neglected ones. They have a Mommy now, who cares about them! ;) :bajo :hug

...Jefroka

koikaren

5 Year Member
I was going to try that...but the sun hasnt been out to much lately...we have been getting alot of rain and cloudy days but on the next nice day we have i will put them out there...thanks..

ashesc212

5 Year Member
I agree with Jefroka. Bring them out asap.

Also - I usually don't advocate this...but I would force the other one on the basking spot. Furthermore, if you can get some liquid calcium that should help out a little.

koikaren

5 Year Member
sun poked out for about 20 min or so....gave them a soak and took them out for uv rays...

100_1438.jpg

100_1442.jpg

100_1444.jpg

100_1445.jpg

tracyanderson777

5 Year Member
dude thats terrible. these things have been totally neglected man.

im glad u went and got them...

i say you keep them on a steady fattening diet. and handle them excessively (whether they like it or not))

simon021

5 Year Member
I agree with whoever said to force the one that cant move his back legs to bask. I would almost say you should put him in a feeding bin with a UVB bulb over top of it so that all he can do is sit there and bask. Obviously I wouldnt leave him there all day, but for a hour or two. If you have an IR temp device, you can keep tabs on his temps to make sure he doesnt get overheated. I picked up one of those PE-1s from tempgun.com and it's been one of the best things i've bought for my tegus. I use that thing 10 times a day probably haha. It's really great to see you taking on these 2 poor tegus. It's good to know that they are in good hands now. Good luck at the vet. keep us posted! I'm sure if you call Bobby up he will have some good advice to give you.

koikaren

5 Year Member
Just a small update...both gus are doing great...They are completely calm now when held and get daily uv and exercise outside...They are going through there first shed with me so we are doing alot of bath time which they love and all is well...Thanks for everyones support...:)

I will post updated pics soon.

crox

5 Year Member
I would have named them something uplifting, like awesomness, or supercool.

No need to call attention to the bad things. :chin

Meg90

5 Year Member
Oh my goodness---I am SOOOO HAPPY that you have these boys.

Where are you located?

I'm in Wausau, WI. I am getting my first tegu on Friday from a friend of mine. He has decided to give me his youngest ( 6mos) as a gift, because he knew how hard of a time I was having finding one in this state.

I looked at those tegus on Craigslist. I recognized the pictures.

Again, I applaud you for your efforts. I felt so bad that they were sickly, but I am 100% new to tegus, I didn't think I could handle two, let alone two sickly ones. I keep and raise torts, geckos, and Ball pythons, so I not new to reptiles, just GUs.

(Now--I'm putting all my care tips in green)

It does look like they have MVB very badly. I would dose them up with pure extra calcium on every meal (no D3 added), dust all their meats, etc.

Also, something that can help establish trust, is to wear a t-shirt for a few days/nights and either sleep or exercise in it (don't use any body sprays or deodorant) so that the shirt accumulates a good amount of your scent. Then put the shirt in their hide, so that they associate your scent with safety, and security. Its the same psychology as associating a seperate bin to mean dinner....

Another trick to get them healthy is to soak them in water and bird vitamins. You can get a bottle in the bird isle of any pet store. Its a liquid vit, that you add to the water. You want to add enough that the water turns a pale, pale yellow color. This is a trick used for unhealthy torts--All reptiles soak up at least some percentage of nutrients through their skin, especially near the vent. I also have soaked torts before in babyfood and water. Use something with natural nutrients, like one jar each meat baby food, and a veggie, such as squash. The aroma also encourages them to drink more.

I would love for you to shoot me an email. I rescue reptiles too, and I would love to talk to someone with the same passions. Its hard to find rep people in WI. It'd be great to have another tegu outlet too. my email is <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->

I hope you and the new babies are doing well.

koikaren

5 Year Member
crox said:
I would have named them something uplifting, like awesomness, or supercool.

No need to call attention to the bad things. :chin

I love there names...I dont really look at it as pointing out there "bad things" because there is no bad thing about them...they are super sweet and loving....Its just there names....but thanks for input but i think there names are cute:)

koikaren

5 Year Member
Meg90 said:
Oh my goodness---I am SOOOO HAPPY that you have these boys.

Where are you located?

I'm in Wausau, WI. I am getting my first tegu on Friday from a friend of mine. He has decided to give me his youngest ( 6mos) as a gift, because he knew how hard of a time I was having finding one in this state.

I looked at those tegus on Craigslist. I recognized the pictures.

Again, I applaud you for your efforts. I felt so bad that they were sickly, but I am 100% new to tegus, I didn't think I could handle two, let alone two sickly ones. I keep and raise torts, geckos, and Ball pythons, so I not new to reptiles, just GUs.

(Now--I'm putting all my care tips in green)

It does look like they have MVB very badly. I would dose them up with pure extra calcium on every meal (no D3 added), dust all their meats, etc.

Also, something that can help establish trust, is to wear a t-shirt for a few days/nights and either sleep or exercise in it (don't use any body sprays or deodorant) so that the shirt accumulates a good amount of your scent. Then put the shirt in their hide, so that they associate your scent with safety, and security. Its the same psychology as associating a seperate bin to mean dinner....

Another trick to get them healthy is to soak them in water and bird vitamins. You can get a bottle in the bird isle of any pet store. Its a liquid vit, that you add to the water. You want to add enough that the water turns a pale, pale yellow color. This is a trick used for unhealthy torts--All reptiles soak up at least some percentage of nutrients through their skin, especially near the vent. I also have soaked torts before in babyfood and water. Use something with natural nutrients, like one jar each meat baby food, and a veggie, such as squash. The aroma also encourages them to drink more.

I would love for you to shoot me an email. I rescue reptiles too, and I would love to talk to someone with the same passions. Its hard to find rep people in WI. It'd be great to have another tegu outlet too. my email is <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->

I hope you and the new babies are doing well.

thanks for the advise i will try the vitamin soak but they are already getting daily soaks and extra vitamins and are eating well and they have already bonded with me...that was alot easier then i thought but they already look for me in the morning to eat and get there soak so all is going super! Thanks for input :-D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced