• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Reallly need advise!!!!

koikaren

5 Year Member
I know im new to the world of Gu's but i did alot of research on these guys before i got my two from Bobby...

Well there is a guy a couple of miles from (actually 3hrs from me) who is trying to sell 2 arg tegus...these poor tegu's are suppost to be 7mths old according to him but they are not that much bigger than Draco and he said they both lost their front toes due to a bad shed...and they are nasty skinny and he says they bite when you go to pick them up (but i think that is due to starving in my opinion)

Im about to go tomorrow and give tthis jack *** the money he wants just to save these poor guys...anybody have any suggestions on how to help these guys to recope...(they will be house seperately from Draco and Eragon)....I cant just leave them with that idiot....im attaching pics and you guys tell me what you think....

3k93pf3o5ZZZZZZZZZ98k173b0f613fe71b.jpg

3kf3p63laZZZZZZZZZ98kc3d8cd7d7ff71f.jpg

3n03o43lfZZZZZZZZZ98k5c2901a7890915.jpg

My heart breaks everytime i look at those pics... :rant :bang :mad

AWD247

5 Year Member
wow thats a d@mn shame, really skinny.
They probably could use the proper housing, lighting and diet you already follow. Your toughest task will probably be getting these lil guys to trust you and get them out of there current mind set and suffering.

If you pick them up keep me posted ill send you a couple bucks donation through paypal to help out, every little bit helps.

koikaren

5 Year Member
AWD247 said:
wow thats a d@mn shame, really skinny.
They probably could use the proper housing, lighting and diet you already follow. Your toughest task will probably be getting these lil guys to trust you and get them out of there current mind set and suffering.

If you pick them up keep me posted ill send you a donation through paypal to help out, every little bit helps.

Thanks so much im glad im not the only one that this stuff bothers...Thanks for the offer but money isnt the issue and i have extra lights for incase one burns out and extra light housing...

I think you are right the toughest thing is gonna be to get them to trust me but since im a stay at home mom i got extra time to play with them and get them to trust me...I just wish i had more experience with these little guys...Eragon and Draco was so easy but they came to me healthy and with no issues....Putting weight on them will be the easy part, is the rest i hope i can do...

koikaren

5 Year Member
Two Bananas Marinade said:
Koikaren you are awesome! I read this to my wife and she laughed and said " a mother at heart"

Thanks for great comments....I leave in 2hrs to pick them up...Im so excited to help these little guys and very nervous :!:

simon021

5 Year Member
good luck! Great to see people that care. We need more of that in this world. Post some pics when you get them home!

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Best of luck with this. You may want to consider bringing a fecal sample to your vet to test for parasites, and quarentining them away from your current gus is a must for the time being.

Yes, a mother at heart, you are!

...Jefroka

GraphiK

5 Year Member
I second what Jefroka said, a quarantine until they are taken to the vet is a must. Nothing would be worse then harming your healthy ones with external or internal parasites by try to help the hurt ones in the same enclosure. If you can when feeding them or if you physically open they're mouth some, check for thick, glue like mucus. This is a sign of dehydation. I can't really tell from the pictures if it actually looks malnourished so you'll have to check yourself, just look for sunken in eyes using your healthy tegus in comparison.

They may also have some muscle deterioration along the spine, this can be identified by the pelvis and spine bones themselves sticking out distinctly beneath the skin. You may have to force feed for a little while if they refuse or are unable to eat, this can be done with a non-needle syringe and a mixture of a little bit of cat food and baby food. You may need to add some room temperature water to help hydrate the tegu. Keep in mind that you need to keep this all at room temperature, anything colder can drop the tegus body temperature which is the last thing they need in this condition.

Above all else, I recommend a vet. If for some reason you can't make it to the vet I recommend picking this product up Flukers carnivore/insectivore Repta-Aid, you may even want to pick some up even if you do go to the vet, it's something nice to have just around just in case, none of the pet stores in my area carry it so if there is an emergency I would be stuck waiting for it to ship online.

I'm glad your doing what your doing, I wish more people had a heart like yours. I recently took in a sickly adult bearded dragon for the same reason, I plan on finding a good home for him once he is healthy again but he'll probably grow on me. Best of luck with everything if you need any help at all feel free to pm me and I could even talk to you on the phone if you like but I'm sure you'll find all the help you'll need on these forums.

koikaren

5 Year Member
Okay i just got home about 1hr ago and got them in there new home...I am feeding them in the tub were i can clean it with bleach after...I am going to search for a good reptile vet in my area (because my current vet doesnt see reptile) Will take pics of them tommorrow.

Just a small update of what i found when i got there...they had no basking light, no substrate, no hide...they were in water (so they are not dehydrated at least) but there jaws are messed up which i didnt see til i went there, the ones back legs do not work (Im going to call bobby for advise tomorrow) they totally didnt try to bite me but the way he grabbed and chased them i can totally see why they tried to bite him...He said he dont handle them just feeds them...He got them for his daughter and she wasnt taking care of them so he was saling them....His daughter was 5 *(&&%$ years old!!!!.....She cant even take care of herself i dont know what jack a** gets a 5yr old a pet and expects them to take care of them.....The saddest of all was that he had 3 other lizards (Monitor and 2 tegus) and i tried my heart out to get him to sell them all to me but he said no because he wants to breed the tegus!!!

So to make a long story short i cried all the way home for the two i got and for the ones i couldnt save :(

THESE GUYS ARE NOT GOING NOWHERE NEAR MY BABIES ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!! lol

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I can completely see why you felt the drive to save these guys...

My only concern though is that you gave money to the guy which in a way rewards him for his foul actions... In reality he should be paying you to take ove the responsibility he failed to be responsible for...

I would have suggested you take them free of charge and the previous owner pay the first vet bill... but quickly compromise to simply take them off of his hands...

koikaren

5 Year Member
tried..he wanted way more for these guys....i didnt want to give him s*** but my foot in his a** but i could only get him down to $130 and i wasnt gonna let money stand in the way of saving these guys.....In a way he was rewarded for being a jack a** but in no way was i leaving these two there with him.....I told him everything he was doing wrong and pointed out everything wrong with these guys but he just got affended and told me that he has had lizards for 10yrs and he knew what he was doing.....all you can do is try to educate but you cant make people listen even reason with them if they are not willing....thats why i cried because i got so fustrated when he wouldnt listen and wouldnt sell me the others...

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I understand where you are coming from... and I agree you were between a rock and a hard place...

Please do not take my previous comment as a criticism either... just frustration that someone could be such a fool and get away with it...

koikaren

5 Year Member
Okay so here are some pics...I got more of the more healthier more active guy, the other is still hiding. I did manage to get one pic with both of them so here they are....

100_1423.jpg
:cry:

100_1430.jpg
:app

100_1424.jpg

100_1425.jpg
:bawl

100_1426.jpg

100_1427.jpg
:app

100_1428.jpg
:grno

Jefroka

5 Year Member
I swear that guy comitted a crime against nature, he needs a good old fashioned azz whoopin'! And to think he believes he can breed them. Animal cruelty is no joke. I think I would have lost it on that guy.

Karen, best of luck with these guys, you have a heart of gold. :bawl :bawl :bawl

...Jefroka

koikaren

5 Year Member
any of you would have done the same if you would have seen them...but thank u...gonna need alot of luck with these guys but there moods seemed to have improved already....they love the substrate and are diggin the uvs and i have been sitting in front of enclosure and the healthier one keeps coming over checken me out so at least they feel alittle safer than yesterday...and that makes it well worth the drive and the money....Id have to say that was the best money i have ever spent (and i spend alot of that just ask my husband...lol) because i saved them from more suffering...Im gonna leave the justice to god, he can do way better than i could ever do....

Thank you to everybody and there support...and i will keep posting on there recovery...

koikaren

5 Year Member
these guys got mbd bad so if anyone has any experience with this please contact me so i can help these guys!!!

AWD247

5 Year Member
I wonder if an Anoymous tip ("hint hint") to the proper animal authorities would help with this guys future of ever owning of animals, with the proper pictures and information of negligence im sure they would have to do something, I mean they wouldnt let dogs or cats go through these conditions, should be the same for reptiles..
If you report him, I would keep the info you have on him already, incase he does attempt to breed in the near future.

Good luck to you and those lil guys.

koikaren

5 Year Member
He wouldnt give me a name (wonder why????) but he lives in Pleasant Priarie, Wisconson on 125th street...It looked like maybe a noname motel or government apartments...He wouldnt give me much information and he was hard to find because the place had no name and the apartments had no numbers...believe me i was looking!!! I so wanted to turn him in but unless i went with them to show them where it is at they will never find it...he meet me down town Pleasant Priaire and took us back there....

he didnt sign any emails but his email address is <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->
phone number is 262 748 6011

AWD247

5 Year Member
LOL wow then this guy already knows hes doing wrong, anyway, good luck to you, atleast these lil ones will have a way better life now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980