• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Leash

HazyRep

5 Year Member
AB,
I like to take my snake out with me. Not to be like "Look at me, I have a snake." I like to take her out. I like her to hang out with me. She sits contently around my neck (still small) or in my sweat shirt pocket. I take her with me for GOOD PRESS. People ask questions. I've gotten a few people over their fear just at my college. And I don't throw my snake at people. It's good for her as well, the more people that hold her, the better. She is mellow as can be.

I think leashes are good for security. It's to keep them out of trouble, not to treat them like a dog. Do you actually think anyone that owns a lizard that's on a website like this is thinking of their lizard as a dog? Seriously? And a lizard is to be confined to a cage? How natural is that?

And isn't reptiles going "mainstream" a good thing? More people knowing them, more people seeing they're not "gross, disgusting, scarey"?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
HazyRep said:
And isn't reptiles going "mainstream" a good thing? More people knowing them, more people seeing they're not "gross, disgusting, scarey"?
Most people are afraid of reptiles. Many people think they're "slimey". You can't just walk around in public with a snake and try to educate everyone (although we'd like to!). Some one will eventually complain and you could get in trouble with the police on some technicality just because people don't understand reptiles.

bobbydesi

5 Year Member
yea the only reason im buying a leash is becuz i have no backyard or anything and all the parks near me are infested with dogs =/
I am moving soon however and if that house has a backyard, id ditch the leash

ptviperz

5 Year Member
I guess I treat my Tegu like a dog, he's housebroken and goes outside everyday on a leash to 'do his business'

I much prefer this method to cleaning up lizard crap.

Oh, and Stewie loves his outside time, he goes outside with 3 dogs. I get some funny looks LOL

Nero

5 Year Member
how the heck did you get your tegu house broken my columbian bangs his head on the top of the screen if he wants out. So i take the top off and he craps on my window seal everytime lol

ptviperz

5 Year Member
Nero said:
how the heck did you get your tegu house broken my columbian bangs his head on the top of the screen if he wants out. So i take the top off and he craps on my window seal everytime lol

As soon as Stewie tries to get out or claws at the sides of his cage I take him out. After about 3 days he got the idea. They don't seem to like soiling their cage anyway.

After he goes outside he can freeroam the house while his rat thaws. Works out pretty well.

Kharnifex

5 Year Member
I used a leash for Gora twice. first time it was fine, no different than if there were no leash, second time she got the leather part to slip down and trap her front leg, this caused her to panic and death roll tangling her up in the leash, by the time i had her free my hands were covered in tooth scratches and she was freaked, needless to say i burned that leash.
if a leash works for you. then i'd say use it. we love our reptiles, and in a situation where we are worried about possibilities of escape or loosing control a leash can be that extra precaution that could mean the difference between loosing our lizards or not.

me? i'll just hold Gora when i'm outside. or i'll build her an inclosure outside. i have never seen my tegu so freaked as i did when she tangled herself in the leash. i will never put her in a situation where i feel like i need a leash. it's not worth it for me nor her.

HazyRep

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
HazyRep said:
Most people are afraid of reptiles. Many people think they're "slimey". You can't just walk around in public with a snake and try to educate everyone (although we'd like to!). Some one will eventually complain and you could get in trouble with the police on some technicality just because people don't understand reptiles.

I don't take her around to "educate everyone", though I do to those who ask. Like I said, I never throw my snake at people, so to speak. A lot of people don't even notice her at all.
And, you just backed up what I said. I said that it would be good for people to see that they aren't disgusting/gross/slimey (which is my least favorite reason why people dislike them, next to "they're a form of satan") And, the only place I'd stay long enough to have someone call would be school, and that would be a ridiculous thing for them to do...Most people I've met just don't understand why I have her. But they start asking questions. This, I see as a good thing.

ptviperz

5 Year Member
Kharnifex said:
I used a leash for Gora twice. first time it was fine, no different than if there were no leash, second time she got the leather part to slip down and trap her front leg, this caused her to panic and death roll tangling her up in the leash, by the time i had her free my hands were covered in tooth scratches and she was freaked, needless to say i burned that leash.

It's just like a dog, they don't understand at first. Work them gently into it. I've had a couple of death rolls myself, just had to reassure him that it was ok. Took 3 days. Now people can come up, he's socialized and doesn't freak out. It was well worth the effort.

I have no idea how you can let your tegu potty outside from your arms, but I ain't gonna try it :-D

Kharnifex

5 Year Member
she craps the moment she leaves the cage, never been able to get her to crap outside, we were just soaking up the sun on a hot day....rather i was dripping my own sweat puddle and she was enjoying herself.

Kazzy

5 Year Member
Kharnifex said:
she craps the moment she leaves the cage, never been able to get her to crap outside, we were just soaking up the sun on a hot day....rather i was dripping my own sweat puddle and she was enjoying herself.
What we do for our critters...lol! That's how it always is. I take mine outside very often because I know that sun is really good for them (better than any UV bulb I could buy) and they enjoy being out there. I just get to sit and sweat off a few pounds in the process, which I really don't mind. Hmm, in fact...it's really nice out today. I think I'll take everyone out.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Kazzy said:
I take mine outside very often because I know that sun is really good for them (better than any UV bulb I could buy) and they enjoy being out there. I just get to sit and sweat off a few pounds in the process, which I really don't mind. Hmm, in fact...it's really nice out today. I think I'll take everyone out.
I wish I could take every one outside everyday. Working 10 hours a day doesn't help. I got down to see the Tegu's last night at 8pm and the big Red male was climbing the cage so we went outside for half an hour, even though the sun was going down. At least he got to walk around (without a leash).

Nero

5 Year Member
I dont think my columbian will ever let me put a leash on him. Hes been a bad tegu lately.

HorseCaak

5 Year Member
Re:

AB^ said:
I guess lizards on leashes is what happens when reptiles go mainstream :roll:

Are you gonna get rid of your herps because they are "mainstream?" They aren't "cool" anymore because more people have them?

BOOZER

5 Year Member
Re:

Nero said:

hahahaha now thats funny!! made my night :thyo

AmberRoses

5 Year Member
I have a columbian black & white tegu probably about 12 inches long. I've had it for about 2 weeks & it constantly hides whether it is in the terrarium or in my shirt. I need help. PLEASE contact me with any suggestions or info!

HorseCaak

5 Year Member
AmberRoses said:
I have a columbian black & white tegu probably about 12 inches long. I've had it for about 2 weeks & it constantly hides whether it is in the terrarium or in my shirt. I need help. PLEASE contact me with any suggestions or info!

You should start your own topic/thread so you can get some answers. i don't own a tegu yet so i have no experience to help you but i randomly came across your question. Start your own topic for help. ;-)

Cheers,
:cheers
BLAIR

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980