• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Leash

Kazzy

5 Year Member
Well, I bought an iguana leash for Xander a WHILE back, and it's been working great...but now he manages to wiggle right out of it. Does anyone have a suggestion for a better leash?
Here's a pic of him with the leash...and my buddy Erek
l_3b28fe8ffe29aa21d70b8b188b15d5cc.jpg

Azaleah

5 Year Member
Believe it or not, I used an actual dog harness on my late Savannah Monitor. Depending on his size, a small dog harness might work better for you :). They sell this brand called Lil' Paws for small puppies like chihuahua puppies... that might work for now until he gets bigger.

Kazzy

5 Year Member
AB, I put him on a leash because he likes to run...I don't want him getting lose or killed. It would be awful to lose him.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't like leashes either, but Mike and I have already had problems with lizards bolting. Even the most laid back lizard can get startled and decide to run....and when the start to run, if you follow them, their instinct is to run more (fight or flight response.)
If you are going to take a tegu (or any other potentially fast-running lizard) out in public, I think it's a good idea (at least for the larger lizards) to have a leash just in case.
I don't mean walking them on the leash....that's kinda silly.

I guess it's just up to the individual.

One last thing: PLEASE everyone make sure the lizard doesn't get tangled in your leash....it can mean disaster....serious injury or even death. If they get tangled and start thrashing, they can break their neck in an instant. Use extreme caution.

AB^

5 Year Member
To me it completely defeats the purpose keeping exotic animals. If you want to throw a leash on something buy a dog. If you have an animal that is skittish then you shouldnt have it out running around, and really no one should be taking their reptiles out in public, it just causes bad press. I know people like to walk around with a boa around there neck and a beardie on their shoulder as they are out and about, but frankly it's just bad reptile keeping and very poor in judgement and does the hobby more harm than good all in the name of trying to look "cool" and no matter what anyone says, if you're toting your reptile around in public that is all you are really trying to do.

Kazzy

5 Year Member
The sun is good for them, and so is the socialization. I don't just go out and walk the streets with my lizards. Typically it's just my front porch so they can get some natural sunlight. The leash is a precaution. That's all.

Mvskokee

5 Year Member
i take mine out in the back yard some times or open a window or let them bask in the glass sliding doors

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Kazzy said:
The sun is good for them, and so is the socialization. I don't just go out and walk the streets with my lizards. Typically it's just my front porch so they can get some natural sunlight. The leash is a precaution. That's all.

That was my point exactly. I wouldn't use a leash so I can take my tegu in public. I don't take my tegu out in pu blic much at all..only when I need to walk her to the pet store to size up new equipment or vets to get her looked at. When I take my reptiles outside my home (aside from the driveway), it is usually to the park (or somewhere else where they can roam a bit and not be scared by cars, etc...)

Kazzy

5 Year Member
Yeah, not for attention. Although I do like to educate any people, especially children, that happen to see them. I hope to start my own education program precisely for that. They enjoy the outdoors and the sun, that's what matters. I don't want to risk them getting spooked and running off. The leash permits me to keep them in a general area so I can watch them. I don't 'walk' them. Most of the time they are on my shoulders...or my head, when they always end up (anyone else notice how much the like to climb to the highest point on a person? lol).

AB^

5 Year Member
yea i dunno, you can do whatever you want it's your tegu, but if i had the room to let one roam in the backyard i would ditch the leash and build a cage lol, a nice big one.

AB^

5 Year Member
I just let mine run around on my balcony it gets some sunlight and is secure, just doesnt get enough sunlight to let them chill outside all day long.

Kazzy

5 Year Member
I don't have a backyard, I live in an apartment. No secure place to let them roam. If I had a yard they would live outside. I know they would love the natural sunlight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980