• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Leash

blackforces get you

5 Year Member
anytime i would let my turtle walka round the house he would tie a piece fo red rope to it. she would lose balance but that keepes her underside undirty and she likes walking around the house.w ahat im scare dof is loosing her so if i see a small rope ill know its her. lol kinda funny but shes a good girl

AB^

5 Year Member
Well really if you guys want to let reptiles roam in your houses or wherever you should certainly "child proof" those areas. Then you dont have to worry about this or that cause you took care of any potiential hazards beforehand,

dorton

5 Year Member
I put mine on a leash when I go outside for its own protection.
I know you don't agree with it, but I think its the safest thing for mine.
Just as an example:
My large female is very laid back, and is content to sit on my shoulder inside, or outside sitting on my back porch. A few weeks back I decided to let her roam around my back yard. The sweet laid back girl I know went completely wild! She tried to sprint off, luckily she was on a leash, but when she hit the end, she started death rolling and had her mouth open trying to bite anything within reach. Again, I am glad I had a leash on her.
I took her inside, and with the danger of being outside gone, she was just as calm, and laid back as ever.
To each his own, but my tegus will have a leash on outside, untill my confidence is built up.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
dorton said:
I put mine on a leash when I go outside for its own protection.
I know you don't agree with it, but I think its the safest thing for mine.
Just as an example:
My large female is very laid back, and is content to sit on my shoulder inside, or outside sitting on my back porch. A few weeks back I decided to let her roam around my back yard. The sweet laid back girl I know went completely wild! She tried to sprint off, luckily she was on a leash, but when she hit the end, she started death rolling and had her mouth open trying to bite anything within reach. Again, I am glad I had a leash on her.
I took her inside, and with the danger of being outside gone, she was just as calm, and laid back as ever.
To each his own, but my tegus will have a leash on outside, untill my confidence is built up.

That's EXACTLY what happened to Mike's female multiple times... unfortunately, the last time it happened, she disappeared. Mike is down a female B&W now.

That's why I'm gonna use a leash once my male (and my female if she doesn't go to Mike) gets bigger.

AB^

5 Year Member
well if you safeguarded the backyard you could just let the tegu do it's thing, i really dont see the draw of treated a lizard like a dog, i'd rather see a lizard a lizard act like a lizard.

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
AB^ said:
To me it completely defeats the purpose keeping exotic animals. If you want to throw a leash on something buy a dog. If you have an animal that is skittish then you shouldnt have it out running around, and really no one should be taking their reptiles out in public, it just causes bad press. I know people like to walk around with a boa around there neck and a beardie on their shoulder as they are out and about, but frankly it's just bad reptile keeping and very poor in judgement and does the hobby more harm than good all in the name of trying to look "cool" and no matter what anyone says, if you're toting your reptile around in public that is all you are really trying to do.

If a leash defeats the purpose of owning reptiles, then why do we even tame them? Its not their "natural" ways to be tamed.

AB^

5 Year Member
I dont "tame" mine, I have them accustomed to my prescence and they do not view me as a threat which is all I seek of them, nothing more. I seldom pick them up to just "handle" or "play" with them

Kazzy

5 Year Member
I don't have a balcony or a window I can just open for him, all I can do is take him out on the front porch which is completely open.

Azaleah

5 Year Member
It all depends on how people keep their reptiles. Are they pets? Display animals? Breeders? I consider my reptiles as much my pet as I do my dog, and I feel that a leash is a necessary precaution to keep them safe.

I brought my savannah monitor to a middle school for a week last year to teach 6th graders about lizards. Trust me, one savannah in a room with 40 kids and that leash looks pretty necessary.

I don't walk my lizard down the streets or out in public places, just in my backyard. I don't want my animals to run off and me lose them in my backyard. I would most likely never find them again.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
RehabRalphy said:
AB^ said:
To me it completely defeats the purpose keeping exotic animals. If you want to throw a leash on something buy a dog. If you have an animal that is skittish then you shouldnt have it out running around, and really no one should be taking their reptiles out in public, it just causes bad press. I know people like to walk around with a boa around there neck and a beardie on their shoulder as they are out and about, but frankly it's just bad reptile keeping and very poor in judgement and does the hobby more harm than good all in the name of trying to look "cool" and no matter what anyone says, if you're toting your reptile around in public that is all you are really trying to do.

If a leash defeats the purpose of owning reptiles, then why do we even tame them? Its not their "natural" ways to be tamed.

Lol, that's an interesting way of looking at it. Oh, and I meant itneresting in a good way, not a bad way.
Good point.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Kazzy said:
The sun is good for them, and so is the socialization. I don't just go out and walk the streets with my lizards. Typically it's just my front porch so they can get some natural sunlight. The leash is a precaution. That's all.
Exactly. We don't walk our Tegus. We don't use a leash in the yard, they just wander around and never bolt. We use a leash in public just in case they've had enough of being held and we put them down. It's a "just in case" leash! It probably makes people a little more secure knowing we have some control "just in case" this wild animal goes berserk and wants to eat them all!!! :mrgreen:

We don't take the snakes out in public, only occasionally to a pet store. Many people are afraid of the Tegu's, MOST people are afraid of snakes. :roll:

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
Kazzy said:
The sun is good for them, and so is the socialization. I don't just go out and walk the streets with my lizards. Typically it's just my front porch so they can get some natural sunlight. The leash is a precaution. That's all.
Exactly. We don't walk our Tegus. We don't use a leash in the yard, they just wander around and never bolt. We use a leash in public just in case they've had enough of being held and we put them down. It's a "just in case" leash! It probably makes people a little more secure knowing we have some control "just in case" this wild animal goes berserk and wants to eat them all!!! :mrgreen:

We don't take the snakes out in public, only occasionally to a pet store. Many people are afraid of the Tegu's, MOST people are afraid of snakes. :roll:

Around here, I think that the leash would be more for the animal's safety, as only about 1 out of every 40 people i see is actually afraid of the animal if they stop to actually look at it. My snakes, on the other hand.....well, they're a different story altogether.

Kazzy

5 Year Member
Yeah, most people here just LOVE my critters. I sometimes take them out to the park and the kids get to learn and interact a bit about them. I believe it's good to educate them.
The leash, just to keep them safe.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam