• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Cuban Rock Iguana Coming!!!!! - She's Here!!!!

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
MMRR - jif said:
Your female Cuban has great potential. Just continue to handle her gently and make interaction time special with yummy treats. She is young and still getting to know you and your family. Treat her right and you will be richly rewarded. :)
Thank you! What do you use as treats? We gave her some greens last night just because she looked hungry.

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
Mine all go nuts for any kind of berries, melon, grapes, plain cooked pasta noodles, and whole wheat bread!

burke0000

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info again, maybe the guy I talked to just had some experience with some fiesty rhinos. I really like the idea of one because of behave from what you guys have told me. But in general alot of baby tegus can be handled right away, almost everyone on here with a baby blk and white handles theirs but mine wont have any of. So I guess their are expections to the rule. Plus its killing me not being able to hold my tegu so the idea of another cool lizard is very appealing to me.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Awesome looking lizards everyone! As to you burke, patience is a virtue or so i'm told :roll: . Give your tegu some time and if you do decide to go another route make sure you find a good home for the little bugger. Maybe you should get a WC nile or croc monitor. A few "taming" sessions with either of those might make you realize your tegu is tamer than you think :-D .

burke0000

5 Year Member
o, I would never get rid of my tegu, hes still awesome even if hes a big pain in the butt about letting hold him.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hatchlings and Juveniles tend to be on the flighty side. If that bothers you about your tegu you may want to be prepared for the same thing with a cyclura.

burke0000

5 Year Member
O I know all young lizards are gonna be skiddish except for beardies. My tegu I cant hold at all. I like the idea of the rhinos staying awake all year so I would have something to work with while my gu is asleep.

ZEKE

5 Year Member
what size cage do Cyclura need? my parents wont let me get a tegu because of their size and the size cage they need. do Cyclura need similar sized caging?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ZEKE said:
what size cage do Cyclura need? my parents wont let me get a tegu because of their size and the size cage they need. do Cyclura need similar sized caging?
Possibly bigger!! They grow to 4-5ft & heavy bodied, much like an Extreme Tegu, but they are slow growing so you'd have plenty of time to build a large cage. Just plan on needing one some day.

ZEKE

5 Year Member
oh :( i guess ill have to just stick with my geckos. my parents dont want any reptile bigger than our cats and dog lol. also i graduate high school in the next couple years and i need to think about what i can take care of through collage. if i stay at the collage i doubt ill be able to hide a 4-5 ft lizard in my room :)

burke0000

5 Year Member
I know tegus grow quite fast and I know rhino iggys grow alot slower. Can anyone tell me an average growth rate or how big their rhinos were at certain ages.

argus333

5 Year Member
my 1 male is 7 yrs old and 4ft 7 inches and 27 lbs. female is 8 yrs old and if 4ft and 18lbs, my cuban iguana is 3 yrs old and is 4ft long and 11lbs.

burke0000

5 Year Member
Well I talked to david blair and he says his 2007 rhino hatchlings are about a year old now are only about 17 inches which is the same size of my ex giant which is only about 2 months. Talk about a growth difference and variance of growth in large lizards. Also david is in cali but I heard of a man in florida named linus whittaker who breeds rhinos. Anyone have info on him?

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
I highly suggest that if you want a quality Rhino buy one from Bob Ehrig in southern Florida. He has been breeding Cyclura for about 30 years and produces some amazing animals. Some of his breeders are well over 30 years old. He breeds for size, color and temperament. I'll see if I can dig up his #, I have it here somewhere.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
I have to agree with jif i have a male rhino iguana i got off rob ehrig in april and he is a beast,very healthy and good temperment.Also rob ehrig is a nice person to deal with.Rob Ehrig phone number is 305-872-9811, address 29770 Mahogany Lane
Big Pine Key, FL 33043 USA.Good luck. :-D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980