• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Cuban Rock Iguana Coming!!!!! - She's Here!!!!

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
We have no idea on the history of her other than the guy we got her from rescued her from a guy who had tons of herps (including many illegal) in an apartment. She was living in a metal box with no light for the first few months of her life. She looks great now!

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
MMRR - jif said:
The Cyclura are my favorite species (sorry Tegu people but my Gu's come in a close second) because of their intelligence, majestic and sometimes prehistoric appearance, and their calm demeanor.
Thanks for the great summary!

She hasn't warmed up to us yet, she's still a bit skittish. But she's never acted aggressive in any way. I think she'll calm down just fine.

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
My personal favorite are the Rhinos. My oldest female behaves more like a dog than a lizard and will often seek me out for attention.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
MMRR - jif said:
My personal favorite are the Rhinos. My oldest female behaves more like a dog than a lizard and will often seek me out for attention.
I hope our Cuban is like that some day. She likes to sit on my shoulder but will jump off sometimes. Of course, she's only about 2 years old and has alot of growing to do.

burke0000

5 Year Member
So guys how tame are the cuban rocks, and rhinos when they are young?

About how fast do they grow?

Lastly when full grown do they need a cage about the same size as an adult agrentine black and white?

leoares27

5 Year Member
where abouts in connecticutt do you live? i live in Mass...so just curious...
great addition, i hope all works out for you!

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
burke0000 said:
So guys how tame are the cuban rocks, and rhinos when they are young?

About how fast do they grow?

Lastly when full grown do they need a cage about the same size as an adult agrentine black and white?
I don't know anything about young ones, but they must be similar to Tegu's being fairly intelligent but near the bottom of the food chain, so they're probably a little skittish until they're comfortable with they're environment.

Rhino's & Cuban's grow slowly, much slower than green iguanas. Ours had her first clutch of infertile eggs in June so she's at least 2 years old and only 2 feet long.

These Iguanas get to be 4-5 feet long and stocky. Probably similar to one of Bobby's Extremes. Since they are ground Iguanas, and not arboreal, they need area to walk around. Our Tegu's are in 7ft x 3ft enclosures. We take them out a couple of times a week. I think that size is a minimum. I'm planning on building a 8ft x 4ft for our Cuban but she's only 2 ft long now, it may take another 5 years for her to reach 4ft. I might just build another 7ft x 3ft.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
leoares27 said:
where abouts in connecticutt do you live? i live in Mass...so just curious...
great addition, i hope all works out for you!
We're in Wallingford, about a half hour south of Hartford. I think I may of read where you live in another forum but I don't remember. That's a great pic of you and your kids standing inside of that tree.

We went to the Southwick Zoo (Mendon, MA) a couple of weeks ago and went to NERD yesterday, so we've been to/through Mass a couple of times recently. We should get together with our kids some time.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Awesome Dave!! She is a looker, and if they hibernated I would get into them, however I am kinda hooked on having my winters free. :)

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
Awesome Dave!! She is a looker, and if they hibernated I would get into them, however I am kinda hooked on having my winters free. :)
Thanks! I need to have someone to talk to in the winter! :mrgreen: With the Tegu's down soon we'll have more time to bond with her.

She actually nipped me yesterday. I put my hand under her, hoping she would walk up it like she did once before. She licked it 3 times and then nipped it. I picked her up anyway and walked around for an hour with her on my shoulders while I fed many of the critters and myself.

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
LOL Multiple quick licks or tongue flicks are a sure precursor to a bite, usually a quick warning nip. Remember that and you will save yourself some skin damage! I'm anxious for some new pics!

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
MMRR - jif said:
LOL Multiple quick licks or tongue flicks are a sure precursor to a bite, usually a quick warning nip. Remember that and you will save yourself some skin damage! I'm anxious for some new pics!
Lesson learned! It was only a warning nip.

I'll try to take some pics tonight. No promises!

I need to see how much weight she's gained, she looks heavier.

burke0000

5 Year Member
I talked to the local reptile store and he too said rhinos/rocks are his all time favs. He said they do require almost complete devotion to tame and keep it. With my tegu already being a pain in my butt about taming I feel I will have to wait and get one in the future.

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
I'm not sure I agree with that store owner. My animals sometimes go days without quality interaction but they remain docile and easy to handle. Once you earn that trust they remember that and behave quite nicely. It doesn't take much effort to get them that way, just allowing them some time to mature and learn that you are a good guy and an asset to have around. I cannot put into words the feeling that I get every night when my GC hybrid climbs into my lap, throws his back legs back in a totally relaxed posture, and settles in for some cuddle time. It just amazes me that this almost wild creature trusts me enough to actually seek me out for attention. Of course, I'm always telling him what a handsome devil he is and how much I adore him. You just can't do any better than a Cyclura for an intelligent, attentive, charming pet lizard. I wouldn't give them up for anything.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Our Cuban, being a couple of years old and in a new environment, is still unsure if she should trust us. She'll hang out on my shoulders when I take her out but she won't come to the glass looking to be taken out, unlike my 2 year old Ball Python. He seems to love attention, he hung out around my neck for a couple of hours last night while I did stuff around the house and was on the computer, much of the time with his head rested on my shoulder watching what I was doing.

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
Your female Cuban has great potential. Just continue to handle her gently and make interaction time special with yummy treats. She is young and still getting to know you and your family. Treat her right and you will be richly rewarded. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam