• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

CONGRESSIONAL HEARING TO BAN REPTILES! *HR669 DEFEATED!!*

Beasty

5 Year Member
I'm glad folks jumped on the bandwagon!
That was pretty frustrating when people ignored it thinking I was pulling some April fools day joke with this thread.
Let's all be ready for the next version to come around and stomp the life out of it too!!

Who edited the subject line anyway?

ZEKE

5 Year Member
thats amazing news! i have been checking forums all day trying to find info about what happened!

crimsonrazac

5 Year Member
Beasty said:
That was pretty frustrating when people ignored it thinking I was pulling some April fools day joke with this thread.

Sorry about that o_O.... maybe next time post it on april 2nd lol

ashesc212

5 Year Member
:woot :woot :app :app :roon :roon :roon :cheers :cheers :hug :hug

This is such wonderful news! USArk, Pijac, Tom Wolfe, and all those who wrote letters, called, and testified....thank you!

Azaleah

5 Year Member
This just made my day. I was so scared about that stupid bill. Thank god! I am so glad I got a letter out there. I feel like I really helped

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ashesc212 said:

This is such wonderful news! USArk, Pijac, Tom Wolfe, and all those who wrote letters, called, and testified....thank you!
Now us "Nutmeggers" have to figure out what to do about Connecticut's bill!! There's no Grandfather clause!! If you get caught with an "illegal" there's hefty fine and possible jail time!!!

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well you can always move to Florida Dave.... :roll: :lol:

I could use the help. :)

ashesc212

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
ashesc212 said:

Now us "Nutmeggers" have to figure out what to do about Connecticut's bill!! There's no Grandfather clause!! If you get caught with an "illegal" there's hefty fine and possible jail time!!!

Yeah, maybe USArk can help with this one to. There's also the python bill before Congress still, I think....I haven't caught up on that one yet.

It seems really silly in CT of all places to ban reptiles. I mean, maybe in Hartford or Waterbury, New Haven, ok. -but com'n, in ALL of CT?

argus333

5 Year Member
sorry to say this is not the first time this has come up and defiantly not the last. i feel soon it will pass with every week someone being malled by a tiger, chimp, penguin or god knows what else unfortunately reptiles are always the first on the list.i remember back in late 90s same problem.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Whats the deal??

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.pethobbyist.com/sitenews/index.php?/archives/336-Update-Status-of-HR-669-still-unconfirmed.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.pethobbyist.com/sitenews/ind ... irmed.html</a><!-- m -->

Update: Status of HR 669 still unclear, unconfirmed
I've been on the phone with the office of the House Subcommittee on Insular Affairs, Oceans and Wildlife and also that of Rep. Bordallo (D-Guam), the author of HR 669, where I spoke with Blake Androff in the communications office.

Both said that as far as they knew, HR 669 was not dead.

I mentioned the report from USARK that it is, and Androff asked me to wait and speak with Rep. Bordallo's press secretary, Matthew Mateo, who was out of the office until Monday.

I'm a pet columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle/SFGate.com and I had hoped to have an article about this ready to be filed today, to run after the weekend. My deadline was 4 PM Eastern Time today, so he gave me Mateo's email address, saying that he was checking email on his Blackberry even though he was out of the office.

Nonetheless, I didn't get a response. I also left messages for a few other committee members, but apparently DC is a ghost town on Fridays.

I filed my originally scheduled column on a different topic, and will follow up on Monday and try to get an official statement or confirmation of the status of the bill from Rep. Bordallo's office at that time.

When I know more, you'll know more.

ashesc212

5 Year Member
Well USARK.org is saying the Bordello is trying to get a rewrite out by MAY!!!!

They also said it would be under a different name.

Suzanne

5 Year Member
Re: CONGRESSIONAL HEARING TO BAN REPTILES! Not joke!

omgtaylorg said:
Haha thats what im sayin...its so stupid. I was saying you have more of a chance to catch it from food products than you do a reptile from what ive seen...ive heard of tons of cases of people contracting it from chicken and other foods, but never personally have I heard of it from reptiles. And even so, like you said its in so many other things so why just ban one..? Ill just say if tegus are no longer allowed, Im moving to argentina and catching tegus all day.

While I don't live in fear of catching salmonella from my reptiles, a collegue of mine told me her best friend died of salmonella poisonning she apparently caught from her iguana. ...

I know reptiles can carry salmonella so I just assume all my reptiles do and always make sure to use proper hygene precautions. I also keep them away from my 3 year old. It's just comon sense.

I don't know why some people are so scared of reptiles especially since there are so many other sources like chicken and eggs which people eat every day.

There have been several cases of strawberries from California being contaminated with Salmonella. I think those should be the next to be banned, lol.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
We've had many reptiles in the past 3 years and have never gotten salmonella. We don't know of anyone who's had salmonella. Sure, there's always the risk, but there's no reason to ban them because of it. Let's ban chickens and any other thing than can transmit it!! :roll:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced