• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

CONGRESSIONAL HEARING TO BAN REPTILES! *HR669 DEFEATED!!*

crimsonrazac

5 Year Member
Re: CONGRESSIONAL HEARING TO BAN REPTILES! Not joke!

Beazer said:
thats what she said lol, jk. yeah i forgot to post, its a 2 hr vid and really discusses issues about our country (keep an open mind watching it).

-Jon DeLong

Well its 4:00 am and I havn't been to sleep yet.

ashesc212

5 Year Member

VARNYARD said:
Not true it is not just reptiles:

Any such live, wild species or sub species of mammal, bird, fish, reptile, amphibian, insect, mollusk, crustacean, arthropod, coelenterate, or other invertebrate, and (ii) any viable egg, sperm, gamete, or other reproductive material or offspring thereof;

The animals that HSUS deem ok for pets, and the only animals that you will be allowed to keep if the law passes:

And does not include any cat (Felis catus), cattle or oxen (Bos taurus), chicken (Gallus gallus domesticus), dog (Canis lupus familiaris), donkey or Donkey (Equus asinus), domesticated members of the family Anatidae (geese), duck(domesticated Anas spp.), goat (Capra aegagrus hircus), goldfish (Carassius auratus auratus), horse (Equus caballus), llama (Lama glama), mule or hinny (Equus caballus x E. asinus), pig or hog (Sus scrofa domestica), domesticated varieties of rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus), or sheep (Ovis aries).

So how about it? Anyone want a goldfish, rabbit or goat?

Yeah I know - That was just an email I received from USArk.org

artist

5 Year Member

hey guys!!!
i just posted this on facebook, repticzone, faunaclassifieds, and a boa forum!!!!! and i am starting a petition against it at school!!!!! what i want to know, though, is who came up with the idea for this????

crimsonrazac

5 Year Member

artist said:
hey guys!!!
i just posted this on facebook, repticzone, faunaclassifieds, and a boa forum!!!!! and i am starting a petition against it at school!!!!! what i want to know, though, is who came up with the idea for this????

Thats great! :-D We need more people like you lol.

Pony

5 Year Member

Awesome. If this passes then I'm bringing my pony into my backyard and getting a butt load of annoying geese. Yep, much better for the neighborhood.

akward_silence91

5 Year Member

i think i'm gunna get a flock of ducks or something. or an army of cats. lol. at least with reptiles they aren't roaming around in streets and getting hit (the pet ones).

Suzanne

5 Year Member

I read a petition to the FDA from the Humane Society. They make all kinds of outrageous claims. For instance they claim that most reptiles in the pet trade are wild caught???? Where do they get this? I mean I know some are but not most. (not to my knowledge) Also that most pet reptiles are living a life of misery due to neglect and the inexperience of their owners. I guess there is no one out there abusing cats and dogs and every other species. We should probably ban all pets just to be on the safe side.

I'm Canadian and we have a similar situation going on in Brittish-Columbia. Some guy's tiger killed his girl friend so now they want to ban all exotic pets including tropical fish. They're crazy!! :crazy I don't agree that people should be able to own what ever they want. I don't think for instance that you should be able to own a tiger. Just my opinion. But I think it is rediculous to ban harmless animals. Wash your hands people! Just like when you touch raw chicken! :doh

Why do responsible caring pet owners always have to pay for all the rest!?

ZEKE

5 Year Member

i posted this on 5 other forums (plus i posted it in multiple forums on repticzone). and joined the group on facebook and sent all my friends invites to the group. im telling everybody that i know that cares about this.

if it passes it will really suck, especially since there are no animals on the list that my parents will let me keep except for dogs, cats, and goldfish. we have 2 cats and a dog. and i dont want any stinkin goldfish...

dturner05

5 Year Member

This thought just occurred to me, how awesome is it that our Gov is obsessing over a problem that is largely non-existent in most of the country over non-native species when we have MILLIONS of illegal aliens stealing American jobs and will soon be receiving Obama's stimulus benefits?

Tux

5 Year Member

Suzanne said:
I'm Canadian and we have a similar situation going on in Brittish-Columbia. Some guy's tiger killed his girl friend so now they want to ban all exotic pets including tropical fish. They're crazy!! :crazy I don't agree that people should be able to own what ever they want. I don't think for instance that you should be able to own a tiger. Just my opinion. But I think it is rediculous to ban harmless animals. Wash your hands people! Just like when you touch raw chicken! :doh

Actually the issue in BC doesn't cover all exotic pets 1,256 species is what it covers. This includes pythons, boas, some poisonous frogs and snakes but not all exotics or non natives and doesn't cover ANY fish. Here's how this law is being brought in.

March 16, 2009: Cannot breed controlled alien species without a permit. Cannot possess prohibited controlled alien species that were not already in B.C. prior to March 16, 2009 without a permit. Cannot release.

April 1, 2010: If you are in possession of a controlled alien species without a permit, you will be subject to a penalty for violating the new restrictions. After this date, there is no longer permitted breeding of controlled alien species.

November 1, 2009: May apply for a permit to possess a controlled alien species. You have until March 31, 2010 to obtain your permit

On their breeders specific page:

March 16, 2009: Cannot breed except under special circumstances--registered business with an established breeding program and a permit from the Ministry of Environment. Breeding without a permit will be subject to penalties.

April 1, 2010: Breeding of controlled alien species is prohibited unless you are a commercial zoo or educational or research institution.

Here is the list of species that concerns reptile and amphibian keepers in BC:

Amphibians

* Species Phyllobates aurotaenia Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? [kokoe poison arrow frog]
* Species Phyllobates bicolour Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? [two-toned poison arrow frog]
* Species Phyllobates terribilis Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? [golden poison arrow frog]

Reptiles

* Order Crocodilia Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? [such as alligators, crocodiles and caimans]
* All species of the Family Boidae that can grow to be more than 3 metres in length when measured from the front of the snout to the tip of tail when the animal is fully extended Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? [such as surinam red-tail boa constrictors and anacondas]
* Family Crotalidae Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? [such as pit vipers] except Crotalus oreganus [western rattlesnake]
* Family Elapidae Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? [such as death adders, cobras, kraits and mambas]
* Family Helodermatidae Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? [such as gila monsters and beaded lizards]
* Reptiles Collage All species of the Family Pythonidae that can grow to be more than 3 metres in length when measured from the front of the snout to the tip of tail when the animal is fully extended Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? [such as some pythons]
* All species of the Family Varanidae that can grow to be more than 2 metres in length when measured from the front of the snout to the tip of tail Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? [such as Komodo dragons, crocodile monitors and water monitors]
* Family Viperidae [such as true vipers]
* Sub-family Aparallactinae Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? [such as mole vipers]
* Sub-family Boiginae Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? [such as brown tree snake]
* Sub-family Hydrophiinae Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? [such as sea snakes]
* Sub-family Philodryas Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? [such as green racers]
* Genus Dispholidus Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? [such as boomslang snakes]
* Genus Thelotornis Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? [such as twig snakes]

As for this ban and Obama, this crap affects me too as the impact it would have will be major, the black market would grow exponentially. Product support and availability would go down the tubes and ALOT of business would be gone meaning further into depression.

ZEKE

5 Year Member

i thought some people would be interested in this fact.

i got it from rexano.org. REXANO is a group for the responsible exotic animal ownership. on their website they have posters against exotic animal bans. here are the stats about salmonella that are on one of their posters.

1.4 million food related salmonella infections and an estimated 600 associated deaths occur each year in the United States. less than 1% of human salmonella infections are caused by the "reptile-associated" salmonella strain.

Beasty

5 Year Member

dturner05 said:
This thought just occurred to me, how awesome is it that our Gov is obsessing over a problem that is largely non-existent in most of the country over non-native species when we have MILLIONS of illegal aliens stealing American jobs and will soon be receiving Obama's stimulus benefits?
AMEN!
We'll likely be part of the North American Union soon anyway. Google it. The theory is to erase all North American borders and make one country. (hence the slack on Illegals) It's scripted that way. ;)

ashesc212

5 Year Member

artist said:
hey guys!!!

Special interest groups with a lot of money such as the Humane Society, PETA, etc.

That's why we really need to push against this.

ashesc212

5 Year Member

Suzanne said:
I read a petition to the FDA from the Humane Society. They make all kinds of outrageous claims. For instance they claim that most reptiles in the pet trade are wild caught????

Where did you find this? I'd like to look at it too.

Suzanne

5 Year Member

Tux said:
Suzanne said:

Actually the issue in BC doesn't cover all exotic pets 1,256 species is what it covers. This includes pythons, boas, some poisonous frogs and snakes but not all exotics or non natives and doesn't cover ANY fish. Here's how this law is being brought in.

March 16, 2009: Cannot breed controlled alien species without a permit. Cannot possess prohibited controlled alien species that were not already in B.C. prior to March 16, 2009 without a permit. Cannot release.

April 1, 2010: If you are in possession of a controlled alien species without a permit, you will be subject to a penalty for violating the new restrictions. After this date, there is no longer permitted breeding of controlled alien species.

November 1, 2009: May apply for a permit to possess a controlled alien species. You have until March 31, 2010 to obtain your permit

On their breeders specific page:

March 16, 2009: Cannot breed except under special circumstances--registered business with an established breeding program and a permit from the Ministry of Environment. Breeding without a permit will be subject to penalties.

April 1, 2010: Breeding of controlled alien species is prohibited unless you are a commercial zoo or educational or research institution.

Here is the list of species that concerns reptile and amphibian keepers in BC:

Amphibians

* Species Phyllobates aurotaenia Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? [kokoe poison arrow frog]
* Species Phyllobates bicolour Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? [two-toned poison arrow frog]
* Species Phyllobates terribilis Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? [golden poison arrow frog]

Reptiles

* Order Crocodilia Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? [such as alligators, crocodiles and caimans]
* All species of the Family Boidae that can grow to be more than 3 metres in length when measured from the front of the snout to the tip of tail when the animal is fully extended Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? [such as surinam red-tail boa constrictors and anacondas]
* Family Crotalidae Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? [such as pit vipers] except Crotalus oreganus [western rattlesnake]
* Family Elapidae Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? [such as death adders, cobras, kraits and mambas]
* Family Helodermatidae Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? [such as gila monsters and beaded lizards]
* Reptiles Collage All species of the Family Pythonidae that can grow to be more than 3 metres in length when measured from the front of the snout to the tip of tail when the animal is fully extended Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? [such as some pythons]
* All species of the Family Varanidae that can grow to be more than 2 metres in length when measured from the front of the snout to the tip of tail Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? [such as Komodo dragons, crocodile monitors and water monitors]
* Family Viperidae [such as true vipers]
* Sub-family Aparallactinae Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? [such as mole vipers]
* Sub-family Boiginae Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? [such as brown tree snake]
* Sub-family Hydrophiinae Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? [such as sea snakes]
* Sub-family Philodryas Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? [such as green racers]
* Genus Dispholidus Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? [such as boomslang snakes]
* Genus Thelotornis Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? [such as twig snakes]

As for this ban and Obama, this crap affects me too as the impact it would have will be major, the black market would grow exponentially. Product support and availability would go down the tubes and ALOT of business would be gone meaning further into depression.

Thanks for your reply. When I posted yesterday I was not aware that a bylaw was already passed. A petition was sent to me a while ago, probably several months ago. i think it was from PIJAC but I'm not sure.The petition basically stated that lobbyists (forgive my spelling) were trying to ban all exotics in B.C. with only a few exceptions such as domestic rats, gerbils and hamsters. The petition I signed said that tropical fish were on the list of animals to be banned.

I'll see if I can find the link and post it.

Suzanne

5 Year Member

ashesc212 said:
Suzanne said:
I read a petition to the FDA from the Humane Society. They make all kinds of outrageous claims. For instance they claim that most reptiles in the pet trade are wild caught????

I had to search for it again to find it. It was on <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gopetition.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.gopetition.com</a><!-- m -->. The link appears to be broken.

There is an article about it on: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.wnyherp.org/resources/legal-issues/HSUSBan.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.wnyherp.org/resources/legal- ... SUSBan.php</a><!-- m -->

they pretty much give the jist of what is mentioned in the online petition but it's not complete.

Tux

5 Year Member

And heres my counter to that:

* A survey by the national Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta ("CDC") concluded that dogs bite nearly 2% of the U.S. population -- more than 4.7 million people annually. (Sacks JJ, Kresnow M, Houston B. Dog bites: how big a problem? Injury Prev 1996;2:52-4.)
* Almost 800,000 bites per year -- one out of every 6 -- are serious enough to require medical attention. (Weiss HB, Friedman D, Coben JH. Incidence of dog bite injuries treated in emergency departments. JAMA 1998;279:51-53.)
* Dog bites send nearly 334,000 victims to hospital emergency departments per year (914 per day). (National Center for Health Statistics National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey for 1992-1994. See also the CDC update of much of that research, focusing on the year 2001, in which it was established that the number of people treated in emergency rooms was 368,245. CDC releases epidemiologic survey of dog bites in 2001 - September 15, 2003.)
* Bites to children represent more than 50 percent of the total number cases.
* 26% of child-victims -- compared with 12% of the adults -- require medical care. (Ibid., National Center for Health Statistics, above.)
* Getting bitten by a dog is the second most frequent cause of visits to emergency rooms. (Weiss HB, Friedman DI, Coben JH. "Incidence of dog bite injuries treated in emergency departments," JAMA 1998;279:53, citing US Consumer Product Safety Commission, "Injuries associated with selected sports and recreational equipment treated in hospital emergency departments, calendar year 1994." Consumer Product Safety Review, Summer 1996;1:5. Also citing US Consumer Product Safety Commission, "Stair Steps and Baby Walkers Don't Mix." Washington D.C.:US Consumer Product Safety Commission;1992. Consumer Product Safety Alert No. 009207.)
* Every year 2,851 letter carriers are bitten. (US Postal Service.)
* An American has a one in 50 chance of being bitten by a dog each year. (CDC.)

Statistics from Spay USA tell us, "Each day 10,000 humans are born in the U.S. and every day 70,000 puppies and kittens are born. As long as these birth rates exist there will never be enough homes for all the animals.Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?Â

put an end to the dog and cat trade for the sake of public health, the safety of the nation's livestock and wildlife, and because of growing conservation concerns,"

I could actually make a better case for the banning of dogs and cats.

Beasty

5 Year Member

Sweet Tux!
Send THAT to your Congressman!

ashesc212

5 Year Member

Suzanne said:
ashesc212 said:
Suzanne said:

I had to search for it again to find it. It was on <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gopetition.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.gopetition.com</a><!-- m -->. The link appears to be broken.

There is an article about it on: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.wnyherp.org/resources/legal-issues/HSUSBan.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.wnyherp.org/resources/legal- ... SUSBan.php</a><!-- m -->

they pretty much give the jist of what is mentioned in the online petition but it's not complete.

Thanks.

Tux - you definitely need to send that to Congress!

Beasty

5 Year Member

Go to this site to write your congressman!

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.capwiz.com/naiatrust/issues/alert/?alertid=13098456" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.capwiz.com/naiatrust/issues/ ... d=13098456</a><!-- m -->

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980