• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

White Lipped Python

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
Act interested but not interested . If you know what I mean. Sometimes if you buy a pair they will cut you a deal. Some of these guys are going to have do sell some soon. Let those guys hang onmto them for a while. The GTP breeders usually don't have many but they will soon get more than they can fool with though. It's a waiting game. I know the dude at signal herp. He and Gregg Maxwell are big buddies. Greg has a forum. I'll have to see if I can find it. You could join the forums. Buddy up with them and maybe they would be willing to help out more. Just a few suggestions. I'll find that forum and get you a link. I have chatted with both of them and they are really cool guys. Greg Maxwell is a really cool guy.

Nero

5 Year Member
Awesome dude thanks a lot!!! Ive heard of greg maxwell didnt he write a really good book on GTP's??

Beazer

5 Year Member
1,000 is way too much for a green kofiau. If its the "Canary" phase Kofiau islands I would say go for it. However, do not trust anything from Ari and Eric Stoops. Theirs are more or less likely crosses. Do your research on true "Kofiau" breeders. I use to have a pair of Kofiau Canarys and traded them off to a friend of mine. I paid $2,500 for the pair shipped 3yrs ago. I regret getting rid of them.
I cant remember if they are closing export on the Kofiau islands or if its the fact they are being logged. Theres other stuff too behind exporting wc chondros and yada yada. But the price in chondros is somewhat steady for the last 5yrs. Its just a matter of who you go through. If you are digging the Green type Kofiau chondros but dont like the price, just go get a Jayapura or Sorong type chondro. I personally think they are better looking than green Kofiaus.
Greg Maxwell did write a very good book on captive care and breeding of chondros. Just avoid his opinions on localities. There is a major difference in geographic locations and isolated populations and very good reasons to keep things pure. He may not believe in evolution which could be why or probably just wants to justify mixing things, dubbing them designers, and selling them for a grand or two. In all reality, the geographic locations are the most beautiful in pure form. His opinion is bias and people follow him like a moth to a light.
The book though, is great for captive husbandry and breeding information. Just do your research and form your own opinion. Hope that all helped lol.

-Jon DeLong

Beazer

5 Year Member
Btw, from my understanding Kofiaus arent often available and I think people are still having a difficult time breeding htem in captivity so the value holds. But please remember to make sure to do your research and ask around about pure Kofiaus. They are a threatend population and its important to keep them pure in captivity. If you have any questions on Chondros (GTP's) feel free to pm me nero.

Nero

5 Year Member
Wow guys thanks for the information. I'll email and try to do more research within the next few months before I make the decision. I know they sell biaks but I've read they arent really good GTP's. I do belive they were the Canerys. I'll browse more on their site and just look around once again thanks guys.

Magik

5 Year Member
Hey If handed you a a Biak Green Tree Python would you say no?Of course ya woundnt,If anyone offered me a Green Tree Pythin Id take regardless of locality having said that I would have to agree that Sorong are the nicest looking GTP's out there!

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
To me the Biak is a good Beginners GTP. I may be wrong. If you haven't kept them. I wouldn't sink to big a chunk in them. The Biaks are cheaper and less hurtful on the pocket book. If you can't keep them well. Some can and some can't. They aren't the easiest snake to keep. Until you learn how to care for them. My advice is read all you can before your buy one. Then keep reading after you get one. New things are being learned everyday with them. They are actually in an exciting time in their developement as a hobbiest snake.

Nero

5 Year Member
I was on greg maxwells site holy crap his GTP's are like 10 grand and Up! who the heck would pay that much? Are the Sorongs expensive too?

Beazer

5 Year Member
Depends if you are looking for a baby or an adult Sorong and gender on the adults (remember never to purchase sexed babies Greg is right on that). If you are concerned about sex on the babies, you can have the person "candle light" it like you would an egg and guesstimate it. Baby sorongs usually go from $250-$375 (dont pay anything more than that). Pay attention to the red dorsal stripings and markings (head and saddles) if you are wanting them to get the nice dorsal stripes and head with the blue. Though some still may come out like what you dont want but usually its a good indicator. Like cooli and harvy were saying, biaks are cool and cheap. Personally I feel they are underrated out of all the chondros. They are more likely to retain blotches as they get older (I believe they eventually turn green but takes about 5yrs??). Adult male sorongs should go about $400-$600, though I would never pay more than $500. But like Harvey was saying, get that Greg Maxwell book before you get the chondro. Your life will be easier.

-Jon DeLong

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
Yeah what Beazer sad. LOL Man very well put. You are the man. Now you guys have got me wanting to get one. LOL I'm saving my money for some ETBs. But man I miss have the GTPs also. I'll get my collection built back up again some day. LOL

Nero

5 Year Member
You'll get it bac. Having snakes is way better than owning lizards. I love them both but there is just something about exotic snakes. When we all have our GTP's we can all just learn off each other. I will wait for good period of time before I rush into one. I been reading on and off the past year and half for one. And this is one I wanna do right when i decide to purchase it. You guys rock seriously.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
Your right Nero. I've already gotten some of the nicest snakes I've ever owned this time around. I'm looking to sell some snakes to fund others. But GTPs and ETBs are some of my next purchases. The lizards I can live without. But the snakes. Well my house isn't home without a snake or 2. LOL Maybe we can get a few and work together. It won't be too much longer and the family business will be all mine. When that happens. Well Mr Wes will be getting all those snake he always wanted. LOL

Nero

5 Year Member
That is awesome dude! I soon as I get back Ill be the proud owner of a BRB and white lipped python. Im so excited right now I dont even wanna leave town. Man I been searching forever for someone who breeds CB southern coastal white lipped pythons. I sure am in snake heaven!!. Next will be the GTP I keep putting it off i just wanna make sure I do this right. Sounds like the BRB might be a challenge, i'm sure the WLP will be a challenge as well.

Magik

5 Year Member
Nero said:
That is awesome dude! I soon as I get back Ill be the proud owner of a BRB and white lipped python. Im so excited right now I dont even wanna leave town. Man I been searching forever for someone who breeds CB southern coastal white lipped pythons. I sure am in snake heaven!!. Next will be the GTP I keep putting it off i just wanna make sure I do this right. Sounds like the BRB might be a challenge, i'm sure the WLP will be a challenge as well.

I have yet to find a challenging species to care for once you know what they need and how to provide it everything else just falls into place well at least that is how I feel anyway but I usually do a heap of research before jumping on an animal!

Nero

5 Year Member
Yeah lizards seem more complex than snakes. I just battle with humidity problems at times. Im using foil on top of my enclosures now it seems to hold off pretty well. I usually do my research for a long time before I buy. Only pet I ever bought in impulse was my leopard gecko. Theres just so many snakes I plan on buying throughout the rest of the year. Ill probably get 10 more snakes then put it to a hault for awhile.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
Nero has got snake fever . I do believe. I've always owned more snake than lizards. I feel snakes are more evolved . Which makes them easier to keep.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980