• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Blue's adventure across the frozen USA!

Beasty

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
I'm glad she got a great temperament. She must be very comfortable with you.

You had a Sav & Rock almost as good??? Our Rock is good but I still have to respect that mouth, just in case.

The Sav and Rock were both fussy in the cage. The Rock was crack monster crazy in the cage. But both out of the cage were quite good and had some real moments of true bonding. None though, would walk up to me to come out, save one green iguana that would come to her name being called.
I've had some snakes that were pretty awesome but I'm partial to the larger lizards and I'm SO glad I took another chance with Tegus. I've been blessed with 4 great animals.
I sincerely pray I'm wrong but I think I might have 2 Extreme Males. That will suck SOOOOO bad. The darker "female" got thin at one point and I saw what seemed to be fairly pronounced scales on either side of the vent symmetrically placed, resembling male "spurs". :doh I have looked recently and can't quite find them. I felt around on the lighter "male" today to make sure as I've not seen any such spurs and may have found spurs. UGGG!!!!!!! I'll get them both out tomorrow to see exactly what's up but I'm really thinking I may have 2 boys. Feces Occurs. :hifit

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Our Red was insane when we first got him, he was living in a dog crate and was very good at showing his displeasure with it!! But once he came out he was calm.

Our 3ft Cuban Rock male is pretty mellow, he wanders around when he wants, he's afraid of nothing, except going outside, totally flips out!!!

You've got another extreme coming, maybe it'll be a female. You really don't want to breed brother & sister together.

Rudd

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
Our 3ft Cuban Rock male is pretty mellow, he wanders around when he wants, he's afraid of nothing, except going outside, totally flips out!!!

My Cuban is the same way. I can't figure it out. Even if I leave her outside for a few weeks she will stay hidden. Doesn't seem to acclimate or feel comfortable outside. On the other hand my Lewisi Hybrids love being outside.

Beasty

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
You've got another extreme coming, maybe it'll be a female. You really don't want to breed brother & sister together.

Actually, my Extremes aren't related or I wouldn't have bothered getting a pair.

The contest, Bobby had to point out to me, was for choice of sex and color between a Red or Black and White, not choice of ANY '09 tegu. I thought it was for any tegu and Extreme female would have naturally been my choice seeing the only type of tegus he produced that I have are Extremes. So now I'd either have "look a gift horse in the mouth" and ask how much to upgrade or have a totally different color phase. :doh
Closest thing I have to ones offered would be a straight Red female to go with Powder, my hybrid.(which will make 62%Redx37%Blue babies) Eh...what to do?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I forgot it said B&W or Red. If you upgrade what do you do with one of them?

I'd stay away from breeding hybrids, I've seen some good looking ones but I've seen some ugly ones! You don't want to be stuck with 30 or 40 ugly Tegu's nobody wants!

Beasty

5 Year Member
Well, if I can't upgrade, I have no idea what I'd do with only one other than breeding hybrids of some sort. While Powder is an awesome looking hybrid, I too have seen some fugly hybrids. So, I'm kinda on the fence about which if I had to do B&W or Red. I think there'd be a MUCH better chance to have pretty 50/50 B/W x Extremes than 62% Red X 37%Blues. What do you think?

Beasty

5 Year Member
Thanks for saying so!
Lucky is pretty awesome too. At his size I'd lay odds, if offered the chance, he'd breed next year.
All Dave's babies I've seen were really nice.
I had her out today and I'm thinking she's closer to 36" now but I'll have to measure to be sure. Maybe I'll get lucky and be able to breed Powder and Belle next year. :fc

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980