• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Blue's adventure across the frozen USA!

Beasty

5 Year Member
After much ado, I received a Blue Tegu hatchling from our friend DaveDragon here on TeguTalk.com
We worked out a trade, my rock iguana hatchling for one of his blues right before he sold out! He shipped me his hatchling first from Conneticut to Ogden, Utah.(about 2200 miles +- if you drove it!) He decided to ship USPS seeing how Bobby has had 0 problems with them, which I whole heartedly agreed to. He packaged it up in a huge box with double insulation to endure the weather. Two inches of rigid insulation, styrofoam peanuts and a large deli cup along with two 60 hour heat packs taped to the lid would be the housing for little blue's adventure! :shock:
The delivery was to be a 24 hour trip but something went wrong. Either the transport got delayed or they mis-calulated a one day trip for two is still uncertain. After shipping from his local Post Office, the box went to 2 Conneticut cities, last seen in Hartford. Eleven AM the next day came and went.(delivery by 12pm is the norm for such but I always get them by or before 11am.) I called my local post office and they told me what I already knew, it wasn't here! The tracking site went down temporarily and all we could find out was that it was last seen in Hartford. Calls made to no avail from either end was quite frustrating and worrisome. After much lost sleep I went to work(graves) on 4 hours sleep. Once I got my crew running, I logged in on my company PC to find the site was up again and had been updated! The box had made it to SLC airport at 7:30pm, some 7.5 hours late but it's in Utah, YAY! After all the worry this was definitely a good sign!
I got off this morning and made sure the temporary enclosure was set up and warm. I laid down on the couch by the front door to watch for delivery as usual and got an hour or so sleep when the phone rang. It was the Post Office returning my call from the previous day telling me the package had arrived at my main local office. They also apologized, promptly telling me the postage was completely refundable as it was late. I told them to bring it to me and went back to my cat nap. At 10:02am this morning this is what I awoke to:

bigbox.jpg

THAT'S MY SIZE 13 BOOT NEXT TO THE BOX!

peanuts.jpg

incup.jpg

awake.jpg

And after the 47 hours of being in a box, driving and presumably flying across the country during winter temperatures of 5 to 45 degrees for over 2200 miles this was the body temp of my new lil guy right out of the box!

tegutemp1.jpg

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That was definitely a nerve wracking experience!!! :fc :doh :bang I'm glad he's OK!!

I wanted to be sure he'd be protected from the cold. Next time only ONE heat pack!!

Lets hope the Iguana doesn't have a repeat performance!

Beasty

5 Year Member
No doubt! I'll see if I can get more shots here soon. Knowing my luck he'll be down til spring and then I'll have all 3 to play with at once!
Nah, I'll get him up for a bath and grub here tomorrow or the next day. Just gonna let him chill for now. I'm sure that trip sucked BIG time!

Beasty

5 Year Member
Got home this morning from work and found a little ASF struggling with it's siblings looking a bit frail. It was likely taken from mom a bit too soon but there were newborns already again and you have to take the older ones from the babies or the babies get eaten. At any rate I offered it with tongs which got very little interest from lil blue. Hopefully blue will eat when I get up later. I'll take him out and give him a bath and see how things go from there and see if we can't get a couple more pix. Thanks for the interest in our little adventure guys!

Beasty

5 Year Member
More pix!

Well, we did the bath thing briefly. He didn't seem to be terribly interested though. Seemed more into hanging out on my shoulder or just going back to bed. BUT I did get a couple more shots for you guys, so...

Shoulder shot all MySpace like ;)
onmyshoulder.jpg

Sleepy 'Gu!
sleepygu.jpg

Full bath shot
bath.jpg

AND the good tongue shot.
tongue.jpg

Enjoy! :mrgreen:

BrunswickBoas

5 Year Member
That is a pretty sweet looking blue guys. Dave I might have to talk to you about acquiring one of those in from your next clutch!

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
BrunswickBoas said:
That is a pretty sweet looking blue guys. Dave I might have to talk to you about acquiring one of those in from your next clutch!
Thanks!! They seem to get better looking every shed!

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Glad to hear he made it safe guys, he looks good and no more less for the wear. :)

ashesc212

5 Year Member
I love that tongue shot. I'm surprised he stays on your shoulder. Lucky is a little too hyper for that and always tries to climb down or jump off.

Beasty

5 Year Member
New pix!
I just transferred lil blue guy to his new enclosure, a 55g tank complete with MVB AND fluorescent UV bulb, nothing else too extravagant. (fairly basic really) Here's a couple pix. I'll see if I can't get better ones tomorrow.

newcage3.jpg

And a nice little side belly shot.
newcage2.jpg

:bolt

Beasty

5 Year Member
Colors tend to turn out a bit rich with this camera but I'm still learning it. This thing has ALL sorts of crap on it, and I have no manual. I tend to read manuals better in my hand than online for some reason. (this one's like 120 pages!)
Looking forward to seeing the lil iggy pix!

EG6

5 Year Member
That's a sweet lookin tegu u got there...I got the cluthmate here myself that I bought frm dave 2months ago. N he is doin fine...if I can have time puttin up the pics I will. But I caint now I don't have da time 2 do so..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980