• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

my new baby blue tegu

reptilerookie

5 Year Member
i just got my blue tegu today and i was handling him or her for about an hour but he should no signs of being scared or trying to bite me is that normal hes about nine months old thats what the pet store said and he is realy small

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Being that it is new you need to give him/her space even if you think it doesn't mine the handling. Chances are it's still overly stressed and needs some rest. My recommendation is too try and limit handling for the first week. Around 15 mins per day or none at all.

At 9 months a healthy none hibernated tegu should be well over 30+ inches.

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
dont know the quality of the pet store you got it from, but they usually underfeed and dont seem to grow as quickly in a pet store, how long is the tegu? Can you post pictures? And yes Puffdragon is very right on not handling it for 3-5 days barely any if at ALL just to let it get used to its new surroundings. Pictures would be great though I LOVE blues :D

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes, you can try feeding. As said before try to limit handling while doing so.

Did you get this tegu from a breeder or a pet store?

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
Oh WOW, 10 inches at 9 months...there is no way, either they dont know what they are talking about, it is extremely malnurished, or it instantly hibernated like a week after birth, but even then I dont see it being 10 inches thats just crazy at 9 months...

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
the owner says he breeds blues? Id like to know who that guy is because he would be the only known blue breeder in the US...and your in flordia...im almost positive Bobby would know of this guy if he breeds blues.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
From the sounds of it, I think you may have been lied too. It is most likely an imported Black & White tegu. They are being imported into the US right by the hundreds/thousands.

With a picture we can confirm if you have a Blue or not.

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
yea your best bet is to put a picture up asap, if its 9 months old at 10 inches (which i find impossible anyways) we could tell by the weight on him if hes that underfed or if you were lied to about the age and the species...

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
reptilerookie said:
can i feed him monitor diet

Any pre made diets are not recommended. Stick with fresh food and whole prey. Use the search button to find out how and what to feed.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1353" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1353</a><!-- l -->

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Looking at the Underground website it is possible it is a Blue but the size and age is very concerning. The price tag is extremely high as well in my opinion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980