• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Dating in the reptile world

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So my buddies have been giving me slack about my recent string of bad luck in the dating department. My buddies think its the reptile collection that drives them off, and partial that is correct :dodgy: . One even put its very bluntly "Its Bosco or me." Well Bosco is here so yeah that was not really a choice in my mind.

When Bacardi was sick I got yelled at for willing to spend $800 on treatment for a lizard that I could just buy a new one for that and to get over it. When Bacardi died so did that relationship. Needless to say I am not changing the love I give my reptiles and I am not getting rid of them, but it sure makes dating hard. I have dated someone who was not into reptiles but was super chill about me having them... is that too hard to ask!?!?

However on the other end I don't want to date someone in the reptile community, I like it being my own little hobby. Maybe someone into something different like snakes or geckos or turtles or something.

Sorry just a rant.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My husband is pretty understanding. I just usually have to beg forgiveness rather than ask permission before making new acquisitions. But he has his favorites, helps with enclosure building/repairs, and even helps out with the education demonstrations now.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
Look, I used to have a collection of 13 tarantulas in my bedroom. Some girls had a bit of a problem with it. Especially when they woke up in the morning and saw it for the first time. One did, but learned to accept it. Now that woman is my wife and she loves Gwangi and all the animals. You do not need a reptile person, but any animal lover will accept your reptiles if they truly love animals. Enough of this touchy feely crap! I gotta go hit on Batgirl1.

You shouldn't say it's the reptiles. Any person who is unwilling to be with you for something your passionate about (within reason) is not worth being with.
My girlfriend loves animals in general. She's scared of our snake, but will still touch it and loves to interact with the rest of our animals.

Maybe I'm lucky, but if my passion was art, or soccer, or cooking, or dancing, I suspect she would at least try to take some interest in it.

Diablo

5 Year Member
Dubya said:
Enough of this touchy feely crap! I gotta go hit on Batgirl1.

Hahah nice. I agree with psychocircus, if a girl really wants to be with you and really does love you then they will either deal with or accept and come to enjoy everything you enjoy. Don't EVER change for a girl, I've learned that the hard way this past summer actually. Of course I am still young and learning about dating but the one thing I do know is to never change yourself for someone else.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hang in there chelvis, you'll find the right person. I'm lucky that my girlfriend enjoys having my reptiles around. Her dad had reptiles most his life, so she's familiar with the whole thing. She's quite fond of Buzz, she's scared of my alligator snapper, as well as my rhino, and loves my box turtles and tortoises. I'm just glad she doesn't mind them and understands that they are a part of who I am!

She will however rarely step foot on my family ranch, where the more "scary" animals are kept.

I've known you two years bud, I'm sure the right person will come along soon. I'd say god-willing, but I'm no believer. --- and if that offends anyone, ha - sorry.

HeatherN

ive been lucky, most people i meet that i end up interested in are pretty chill about my reptiles. unfortunately, i think it's harder to find a girl whos ok with it that a guy is. I've never dated anyone who was into it like i was. though, i did date a guy who enjoyed hearing me talk bout them and really ended up liking them, even though he was really more of a bird guy. he definitely never got as extreme as i did, but he bought himself a leopard gecko and didnt mind if my lizards pooped on the carpet. he liked to help me maintain their cages and build them stuff.
i really liked that setup, as it was still "my thing", but he liked it enough to participate some. Don't give up anything you love for a girl! you'll find one who will enjoy your hobby, and maybe get you into one of hers. :)

frost

1,000+ Post Club
my fiance is in love with reptiles as much as i am. most of the time it is me that i telling her we shouldn't get some animal lol.

Deac77

5 Year Member
I'm lucky, my gf is chill she owns a Cham and a iguana but isn't hardcore into them like me, but she will listen to me ramble and is very understanding of Kirby and how he's the "cat" of the house lol. The only problem is she has a amazon parrot and Kirby thinks lunch lol

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
I just had a thought. People on this thread (including myself) are telling you not to change and to find someone who accepts you as you are. But what if you are an a-hole? Or if you never bathe? Or you have no manners? If that is the case, then I would say change. If not, then stick to your guns.

chitodadon said:
My wife hates godzilla

from Samsung Galaxy S3

You need to convince her to hold Zilla close to her warm bosom and whisper in his little ear holes what a good and handsome lizard he is. She must do that every day. She should also hold him close and sing him lullabys before he goes to sleep and then kiss his cheek and tuck him into his hide. After about a month, she will probably love him like her own.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I cannot lie I can be an a-hole I am a person after all. I hike, bike and smell bad. My recycle bin is full of beer cans. I work long hours and come home tired and just want to sleep. I wake up early and hog the bathroom. I am an a-hole. lol. I should probably also change the pickup line "Hey baby. I've worked with tiger and now work with wolves, want to see what a real wild time is like" might not be attracting the right attention.

Oh well I love my job maybe I will just marry my work, or one of the wolves.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
chelvis said:
I cannot lie I can be an a-hole I am a person after all. I hike, bike and smell bad. My recycle bin is full of beer cans. I work long hours and come home tired and just want to sleep. I wake up early and hog the bathroom. I am an a-hole. lol. I should probably also change the pickup line "Hey baby. I've worked with tiger and now work with wolves, want to see what a real wild time is like" might not be attracting the right attention.

Oh well I love my job maybe I will just marry my work, or one of the wolves.

My job is very hard and makes me smell too. And my recycle bin is full of beer bottles, but I'm less smelly after a shower and on weekends. My wife tolerated it and dated me anyway when we met. I think you can legally marry an animal in California. They are very, uh, progressive there.

Scott_k

I've been lucky with my wife, she puts up with my reptiles but she is in no way an enthusiast. She dosent touch or hold them, but when I was deployed she fed and watered them. Like most people said finding a person that will support your hobbies, goals, aspirations is what matters. People tend to be with people that are not nessecarily that supportive of them and they stop doing the things they like and become unhappy. Best of luck in the future.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029