• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Worst rescue case I've recieved! My heart hurts for these 2! :(

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
Vet Update:
Piper, the female has enlarged lymph nodes and the vet thinks the infection is definitely systemic. We did a throat culture because she has open mouth breathing, is very frothy and inflamed mouth and gums. Mouth rot and pneumonia. She has at least 10 layers of retained shed and its even under her eye lids which is why her eyes won't open all the way and are swollen. We did a blood panel checking for multiple things and have to wait a day or two for those results. We expect some internal organ damage from being on baytril so long prescribed by another vet. She is on injectable antibiotics and needs to be soaked daily with a chlorhexidine solution and scrub. The male also has a frothy mouth with wheezing and is on antibiotics and soaks too. It's only the beginning, still a lot of testing and treatment ahead of us. Walked out at $600 later and still need to come up with more for xrays and other tests next week. Our vet is worried about the female but thinks she has a chance. We will know a lot more when the cultures and blood panels come back in a few days.
female (Piper):

bad pic quality but her whole throat is frothy, swollen and gums very inflamed and swollen

male (Leo) :

very inflammed and soft gums

ulcer:

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
phew! its 1:30am and I just got done with 2hrs of soaking and peeling on Piper. Busted out the tweezers and very gently and successfully removed all the shed that was folded under both upper and lower eyelids! I got a lot off her back and neck and tried to get as much off her toes and feet but damn she does NOT like those touched. Its thickest around her toes so it comes off easily but she doesnt like them being touched at all. Shes such a good girl though with her eyes, she knew I was helping her and she laid there super still and let me do it, it took me about 45mins too. Her eyes can open now!!!! such a big difference! I stepped out of the bathroom for a sec and when I came back in, she had found her way into some laundry left on the floor. lol silly girl!

Attachments

• IMG_0675.JPG
    IMG_0675.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 107

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
Pipers Blood Panel Results:
Her kidneys are fine, yay! but her liver is effected. Her liver enzymes are high.
She has pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas) and she is anemic. Also she has high inflammatory proteins hence why she is so swollen. So we are going to start her on an injectable anti-inflammatory and painkiller. Good news is that she is not sepsis and her kidneys are okay. The infection is just in the liver and skin so we'll see how she responds to meds and her soaks. Her liver was the most concerning of the results. The levels were pretty high so the xray should at least tell us if its enlarged. and hopefully the antiobiotics (that shes already on) help that.

Her skin/throat cultures should be back on Monday.

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
Last nights soak and peel session was very productive! She now has a pretty face!

Attachments

• IMG_0741.JPG
    IMG_0741.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0743.JPG
    IMG_0743.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0744.JPG
    IMG_0744.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0747.JPG
    IMG_0747.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0749.JPG
    IMG_0749.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 101

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
Piper update! I have stopped peeling her until she gets some pain meds. (tues or wednesday)Shes in alot of pain. I just touch her skin and she jumps and takes a deep breath and then tries to get away. I unwrapped the tip of her tail to see that it it was cutting off circulating and cutting into the skin so it goes down to the bone but its still living tissue. Might need to be amputated. Everywhere I peel there is scaring underneath. its like her skin is one big scar.

Leo: He does not like his antibiotic injections at all, takes two people to do it! & He is starting to shed on his own! Now only to get him more active. They go outside daily, Piper is always on the go but he just lays around literally ALL day long.

Attachments

• IMG_0760.JPG
    IMG_0760.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 70

Aardbark

5 Year Member
We are all listening to your updates. Its inspireing to hear these two progression back to good health. Keep it up, I know its a LOT of work.

Logie_Bear

Wow, in some of those pics Piper doesnt even look like a real gu! So much retained shed, the poor gal looks like a plastic statuary. :( The progress so far is really phenomenal. I definitely look forward to hearing more updates about them!

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
Piper Vet update! We ended up not doing xrays yesterday, vet says her bones feel strong and that we should focus on getting her tail amputated first. Basically a vein is bad so the tail is filling up with blood like a balloon and the blood cant escape. The amputation surgery is going to cost $548. so we are postponing it for a few days to see where we are financially. For now we have a topical anti inflammatory/pain med that has to be applied directly to the skin of the tail 4x daily and silvadine cream and bandaging to help it moist so it doesnt scab. Sadly, it looks a lot worse in person than the the pictures show, the dark parts are blood - not necrotic skin.

Pipers throat culture came back with 5 strains of bacteria
Good news is that the antibiotics that shes on is the right type to treat those strains of bacteria. Shes a fighter and I do believe she will overcome these issues, shes became very active and is quite the escape artist!

Aardbark

5 Year Member
That's like night and day, amazing. You do great work. That sounds like a lot for an amputation, how much of it is going to get cut off?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980