• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Worst rescue case I've recieved! My heart hurts for these 2! :(

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
We really need the communities support for these guys even if its just in good thoughts. They are fighters and we will fight with them!

North Bay Tegu & Monitor Rescue has taken in 2 red tegus that desperately need our help. They are both in very rough shape but the female is the worst of them. They have numerous health issues including extreme metabolic bone disease, respiratory infections, fungal infections, internal organ damage from months of being treated with baytril by an inexperienced vet, they are being force fed, the list goes on and on.

The female will need a blood panel, culture and xrays just to see the extent of things. The male, a blood panel and xray too. Quoted at over $700 for both. My heart is heavy right now. I fear the worst for the female. We are going to need our herp communities help saving them!

Thank you! Keep these guys in your thoughts and prayers!

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So sad seeing these and Sarah's. I know there are expenses, but is the vet working with you at all?

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
So sad seeing these and Sarah's. I know there are expenses, but is the vet working with you at all?

We love our vet but no, she doesnt cut us any breaks. I swear she gets WAY too much money from us but hey, thats to be expected when running a rescue! I wish our 501.c3 would hurry up so that we could apply for grants and such!

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
My wishes are with you too. Is there a place where we can donate to help?

We do have a donation paypal button set up on our website www.northbaytegurescue.com and will be posting our vets contact info for over the phone donations on monday when they open. Gotta give the girls at the counter a heads up. lol so if anyone would like to donate and doesnt have paypal that would be the way.

We are a registered rescue with our 501.c3 nonprofit papers being processed with the IRS. We run solely on personal income and donations so every little bit helps! Leo and Piper have a long road to recovery! They are so sweet too.

Deac77

5 Year Member
Ok my personal opinion on what will happen from working at a vet.

Angel.
She will have to undergo surgery, they will end up removing the exposed portion of the rectum and they will have to extend the colon to replace it but fairly routine. Still a surgery not taking away from that. Then fixing the mbd and dehydration will happen but that's fairly easy.

Piper and Leo.
They will have to start with the blood panels and cultures to figure out what exactly is growing in the blood and what type of swelling is going on. From there they will have to either put the tegus on a form of lasics (drug that pulls the excess fluid off the body) a drug that in itself will require additional testing to keep it in check that's if it's organ caused . Or they will have to lance the swollen areas and allow the fluid to drain since it is causing bruising and discoloration if its from infection.

All this will need to be done before they can even start to address the fungal infection on the skin since if you open them up you can't soak them in anti fungal. Then they will have to address everything else and maybe even start a serious round of antibiotics.

Of course there is a significant chance they will all be put down if the infection has spread to far in both.

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
There are so many different issues with them we will have to do everything to figure it out, blood panel, cultures, xrays... very concerned on what such a long time on baytril has done to the females kidneys. :(

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Since there are two issues here and both needing donations, can we keep the threads about these separate? I did some housekeeping and moved posts to their respective tegu threads. That way we can keep up with the news and updates, etc . Thx :)

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
If anyone would like to donate towards the vet bill of Leo & Piper, you can donate directly to our vet. Call North Park Vet. at 707- 585-2899 ask for Jill and then make a donation of any size even if its just a few dollars to Kayla Goldberg/North Bay Tegu & Monitor Rescue for Leo and Piper. Any amount helps and is greatly apprecieated. NorthBay Tegu & Monitor Rescue has an application in with the IRS for a 501.c3 nonprofit status, we run solely off of personal income and donations by our wonderful supporters. Leo & Piper thank you!

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
Eagerly awaiting tomorrow so we can get some answers! blood panels and cultures will be done tomorrow, hopefully xrays too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602