• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

What lizard next?

Dirkthejerk41

for sure! I really like the blizzard morphs. I'm thinking if I do that, and I get more babies then I can handle.. ill prolly give some away!

mike97

Dirkthejerk41 said:
for sure! I really like the blizzard morphs. I'm thinking if I do that, and I get more babies then I can handle.. ill prolly give some away!
i like the mack snows!

mike97

Dirkthejerk41 said:
lol if I am overwhelmed with babies ill send you one for free if you pay for shipping! (assuming i get leopards)
i got 3 of my own thanks! thanks anyway! and i live in the uk so... got one in the incubator.

bfb345

i like leopard geckos ill take some free ones lol i was going to get back into them but i am concentrating on my tegu right now

Tannaros

Tannaros said:
Dirkthejerk41 said:
yeah dude if I get get some and they breed I may be down to give one or two away, ill keep you in mind!

If you're wanting to get into Leo breeding then I might have a few tips if you'd like them.

1. Invest your money into your male.

His genetics are really the driving force of your colony. Males as carriers for most morphs are desirable because you can easily incubate the offspring to be females that can be paired to produce the morph you want in the next generation.

This also allows you to switch out females who are not taking to breeding well, not producing at all, or simply don't get along with your other females.

2. Go for morphs that appeal to you.

Being able to see all the different offspring your colony produces, and being able to make some money back to maintaining it is pretty awesome. However, one thing I've found personally is I get a lot more satisfaction from producing really clean morphs that I like myself. I ended up getting rid of a few colonies because I noticed I didn't particularly care for the morphs that it would produce, and unfortunately that caused me to spend less time on them.

3. Stay away from Enigma.

This is entirely my personal view.

Anyway, Enigma is an absolutely beautiful morph. However, it also comes with it's fair share of problems. Many enigmas turn in circles in order to walk around (unable to walk a straight line), star gaze (stare upward for long periods of time), have head bobbing to various degrees, difficulty eating by themselves (hand feeding), and such.

Morphs I personally enjoy very much and would suggest;

Tangerines / SHCTB - My favorite. I'm trying to make a more reddish line of my own currently.

Snows - Mack snow is co-dominant, and so if you breed any snow to any snow you're going to end up with snows, and the possibility of a super snow.

*I would pair this with some other gene

Giants - Giants are fun to work with. All of mine have the sweetest dispositions, and opening the giant breeding colony enclosure usually ends up with the male wandering on over to you and climbing onto your leg. This is also a hot morph In the hobby right now and fairly desirable.

**I would also combine this with any gene

Albino - Of the 3 strains, tremper is the most common, and Bell is the newest. Firewater has an interesting history, but they're rapidly becoming popular again.

RAPTOR/RADAR/Typhoon - They're all Albinos with full Eclipse or snake eyes. What differentiates them is the strain of albino, which radically changes their appearance. Pretty desirable morph currently, especially giants and Snow or Super.

I would just offer some caution with Blizzards. They're crazy. Well, at least the Blizzards I've had we're all crazy psycho. However, Blizzard, Eclipse and Albino, or a DB, and they're eerily calm.

Anyway, if you want ideas for what genetics to run feel free to ask I can probably give you some ideas.

Ex. Male - Giant Snow het. Albino
Female 1 - Snow
Female 2 - Albino
Female 3 - Snow Giant

You'd have a chance of producing Super Snow Super Giants, Giant Albinos, Super Snows, etc.

Dirkthejerk41

wow, thanks for all of the info! I will let you know if I end up getting them. Of course, this will all take place after I get my colombian his permanent home :)

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Tortoises don't do well in tanks. the only thing that will live in there long-term is a small mud turtle.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
A hognose snake would do fine in there. Or a sand boa. Something small. I have an honest question for you though. Why does there have to be something new to go in it? What makes you want another animal? You said earlier you wanted a lizard but now it's a snake or a tortoise? What do you want?

Dirkthejerk41

I'm just reviewing the options dude. It's gonna be months from now, so I am just trying to see what's out there. My girlfriend is bringing the bp with her when she moves to austin in a couple of months, so I am going to want another reptile, just not sure yet. I assure you I am capable of caring for them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980