• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

What lizard next?

Tannaros

Dirkthejerk41 said:
more ideas people?

Ackie monitors are always cool. Though your enclosure would be a bit too small for them.

I'd have to say BTS are a very cool lizard. Mine, and the few I've taken care of have all been easy to handle and very mellow. I'm sure it'd be unfair to say all are this way, but their relaxed disposition is usually commented on by many. I got my IJ as a wee little baby and though he puffed as hissed as he was some terrible monstor he never tried to bite or even flash his tongue at me.

Desert Iguanas are awesome. I've looked after a trio for a friend and they are certainly inquisitive. They have pretty interesting behavior overall, and watching them dig is pretty fun. The ones I watched were wild caught from what I understand, though they showed surprisingly little flight mechanism or aversion to people even after recently being brought into captivity.

You could always do a colony of small terrestrial species. Something like Steppe Lizards might be interesting to you. Or possibly emerald swifts. Or even Mwanza flat heads...though your cage height and width makes placement difficult.

Of course those wouldn't really be all that handleable, though could be interesting contrast to your tegu.

Dirkthejerk41 said:
more ideas people?

What are you looking for? Do you want something to handle, something that can tolerate occasional handling, or something that is just awesome to watch? Do you want something easy or are you up for a challenge? Do you like active or relaxed?

Dirkthejerk41

Something that's pretty laid back and that is handleable, preferably. Challenging upkeep is okay.

Could a BTS or a beardie fit in this enclosure?

I will say it is always better to choose and research an animal you truly want and build/buy an enclosure based on that. Not try to fit something in what you already have. But if you do find something that works and you really want, more power to you.

KritterKeeper

Ok so if multiple ppl tell you that you cant fit a bts or a beardie in that cage but 1 person says they think you can then thatll make it ok? I dont get why you keep asking after we've told you its too small..
That said..since you seem to like the idea of a bearded dragon have you looked into a Rankins Dragon? Almost the same thing but they stay around 10-12".

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Maybe if it was 2 feet wide or something but you will NOT fit any decently sized lizard(2 foot range) in that cage. I promise you it is too small.

KritterKeeper

i understand that but if its too small its too small. Asking over and over wont change that. Thats what i was saying, im not being mean or anything. My concern is for the animal that has to live there forever..
And i also gave you another option to look at thats similar to what youre asking about..

Tannaros

TegusRawsome80 said:
No way in heck an ackie would work in that enclosure. They need 2 feet of substrate and lots of room. Very active animals.

Which is why I said his enclosure is both too small and very limiting.

The dimensions are just awkward. I think you'd be best either resizing the cage, building a new one, or looking into just smaller species.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It's 14" wide? That is narrow. hmmm Do you like terrestrial geckos? I got a horned lizard that is adorable, but I don't handle him. How about Steppe Runners?

Cresties, gargoyles, and leopards are all cool geckos that usually do well with handling. I'm sure you're familiar with them, but just figured I'd throw it out there.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Steppe Runners are handleable.

Leaches are hit and miss. I don't blame you though, I'd like to have one, too.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam