• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

What Kind of Tegu is Diego?

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Wow great find! lol, I know I'm posting on old topics but crazy petco had tegus! I've seen some savys but no tegus at petco or petsmart. He sure is a pretty guy.

carcharios

5 Year Member
Yeah, it was a fluke. The girl who works there said she got two of them in and that they usually never get them in. I've had reptiles all my life but had never seen a Tegu before I saw Diego there. I had to get him. At first, I didn't even know what kind he was since his loreal scale is not segmented in two like most black and whites. He was thin and first and hibernated for close to 11 months straight - right through the first summer. Last summer he finally woke up and I moved him outside and he tripled his size.

I just moved him (or her) outside again last week and am praying for the best. I lost my big black and white male, Kimo earlier this week and can't figure out what went wrong. No signs of trauma aside from a little tenderness on the nose from rubbing against his rubbermaid tub. He was plump and didn't seem malnourished. Anyway, I'm hoping that Diego never gets what Kimo did. At some point this summer I'd like to sex him and mate him with a Chocoan!

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He's gorgeous. I saw the thread about Kimo, I'm sorry about your loss. Hopefully your other tegus will have long healthy lives.

carcharios

5 Year Member
Sure. He hasn't grown a whole lot though since he/she was dormant all winter. I'll try to snap some this weekend if he/she comes out of the den for some sun.

carcharios

5 Year Member
Still haven't gotten around to taking some more pics of Diego. Frieda, my big female, is doing really well - even without her companion Kimo :( My new unnamed male is doing ok too - even though his ribcage is still flared from the MBD. I've been giving him chicken necks lately and full sun and have seen a big growth spurt and much improvement in his lower jaw. I'm hoping to get some new pics off in a week or so and when I do, I'll post them.

Also, I'm pretty sure Diego is a female. If anyone is interested in breeding their male - especially if it's a high white or blue, I'd be more than willing to breed her. I live in Southern MD. I initially wanted to breed her with Kimo this summer but Kimo died literally one week before he was to be released into his outdoor enclosure for the summer. Go figure...

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Man i would love to breed my high white rayne with her(if he is indeed a male lol)But he wontt be ready to breed for another year or 2, have you seen pics of bobbys female b/w magnolia Thats raynes mother she is super white

DSCN5867.jpg

im really hoping to find a nice high white female to breed with in a few years, with the right female those would be some killer tegus lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029