• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

What Kind of Tegu is Diego?

carcharios

5 Year Member
Here are some pics of Diego now that he's gotten bigger and no longer hibernating through the summer. He is the Tegu my wife brought for me from our local PETCO. You can see Frieda and Kimo in the pics as well and you'll notice how much darker they are and how they're pattern is nothing like Diego's. Diego has much more white on him and almost looks like a blue (minus the dark muzzle) or an extreme perhaps? Any info would be greatly appreciated. The last two pics are of Kimo and Frieda.

DSCF0500.jpg

DSCF0499.jpg

DSCF0491.jpg

DSCF0490.jpg

DSCF0476.jpg

DSCF0473.jpg

DSCF0471.jpg

carcharios

5 Year Member
Not sure if you can see it in the pics, but Diego has cream colored markings down his back. They're actually little dots that are an orangish cream color as opposed to the white everywhere else. It would be awesome if he were an extreme!

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'd have to say he looks like an extrem or a high white... i know bobby has or had a group of white head tegus he was working with.

DMBizeau

the white bars across his back is what makes me say extreme. He might be a cross but whats what made me go with extreme.

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
To me he looks like a extrem Giant or a high white b/w. In the last pictures he looks like a female. Do you feel any bb's by the vent ?

DMBizeau

Looks like a male to me but could just be a big girl. I'm interested to know if you have a positive sex on it. I know reptastic and I have both had big females that looked like males.

G

A lot of people here are saying he might be a giant, but I thought the way to identify giants was a combination of head shape, and the full V-marking on the underside of the chin? With the angles of the photographs, I can't see a V. Beautiful looking Tegu though :)

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Kebechet said:
A lot of people here are saying he might be a giant, but I thought the way to identify giants was a combination of head shape, and the full V-marking on the underside of the chin? With the angles of the photographs, I can't see a V. Beautiful looking Tegu though :)

Looks like a female to me and im thinking high white b/w or extreme(more so extreme). the "V" isnt an accurate way to tell them apart, both of my female b/w's had a clear visible "V" under their throats and they were both definate normals. you should try and send bobby a pic and he will tell you if you have an extreme or a normal b/w. either way you have a gorgeous tegu there.

DMBizeau

The more I look at it, the more I check out my guys for reference. I think its a hybrid of some sort now but he is one great looking tegu. Maybe a blue x b&w.

slideaboot

5 Year Member
DMBizeau said:
The more I look at it, the more I check out my guys for reference. I think its a hybrid of some sort now but he is one great looking tegu. Maybe a blue x b&w.

Yeah, that's exactly what I think too.

carcharios

5 Year Member
I have not sexed Diego yet. I'm not sure if it's a he or she. The head size looks a little small in comparison to the body similar to my larger girl, Frieda. On the other hand, it looks like there may be jowls forming and Diego is still young and smaller than Frieda.

I did compare Diego with some pics of Extremes from the Chocoan Giant forum and he definitely shares very similar markings. Here is an example of one of Bobby's I believe next to Diego. The top one is one of Bobby's (I think it's Bobby's) that was posted on that forum. The rest of the pics are of Diego.

DSCN3283-1.jpg

DSCF0499-1.jpg

DSCF0494.jpg

DSCF0486.jpg

DSCF0484.jpg

DSCF0481.jpg

DSCF0477.jpg

DMBizeau

Regardless of what he is that is one great looking tegu which is all that matters. Looks like a male to me but its just a guess, when they are that heavy at that size its so hard to tell by looks.

carcharios

5 Year Member
Diego was the first tegu I ever really saw. I saw him while getting crickets at PETCO. They never have tegus usually but they had gotten two in and had sold the larger of the two. I picked up Diego for about $80 with my online coupon. He was always sleeping at first and went into hibernation / brumation for about 11 months straight. I was really concerned because last summer, while Frieda was active, Diego refused to come out of hiding. Of course, I had him inside under lights and not in his outdoor enclosure like I have him now. Since putting him outside he's probably tripled in size. I think the diet of chicken necks has helped too!

Speaking of which, Frieda is now walking correctly. She no longer slides her body but rather walks with her belly and tail held off the ground. I am positive it was the chicken necks because prior to this, she was not walking this way. I really do think she was lacking the calcium and phosphorus because she's always been in the outdoor enclosure getting full sun whenever she wants. What a difference the necks have made. She's also grown substantially too this summer - is getting close to her mate, Kimo's size. She's also more active than she had been previously.

Today, I'm going to move the two big guys into their new cage and transfer Diego into their old one. I'll take some pics as soon as I finish.

By the way, Tegu diversity is just amazing. I was at a great pet store in Fountain Valley, near Huntington Beach, CA called Prehistoric Pets, and they had a bunch of tegus there. Each one looked so different from the next. Quite an amazing amount of diversity in patterns, sizes, etc. They also had a ton of different monitors and some huge pythons big enough to eat my kids.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029