• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Well...

Kazzy

5 Year Member
I'm picking up a tegu for free this weekend. He's an arg. black and white. Pretty good size. Well, turns out he has a prolapse right now. The girl I'm getting him from has done all she can, but just can't afford the vet bills. It was actually all because her now ex didn't care for him properly while she was in the hospital (she just had a baby, and has been having major health issues). Now she's trying her best to see him get better. She's soaked him in warm water, warm sugar water, warm water with vegetable oil, put oil on the prolapse...everything we could think of. She had a guy she knows look at him but he couldn't help either.
So, I'm getting this guy this weekend and I'm wondering what I should do before I get him to the vet. Just keep soaking him? Obviously keep him off any particle substrate.
I've found a vet. I've been recommended to him by a guy I know who keeps reptiles in my area. He said he is the best here and reasonably priced. The tegu will be going to him asap as I can't leave this untreated for much longer. I just want him to be comfortable under my care until I can get him to the vet.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Kazzy said:
I'm picking up a tegu for free this weekend. He's an arg. black and white. Pretty good size. Well, turns out he has a prolapse right now. The girl I'm getting him from has done all she can, but just can't afford the vet bills. It was actually all because her now ex didn't care for him properly while she was in the hospital (she just had a baby, and has been having major health issues). Now she's trying her best to see him get better. She's soaked him in warm water, warm sugar water, warm water with vegetable oil, put oil on the prolapse...everything we could think of. She had a guy she knows look at him but he couldn't help either.
So, I'm getting this guy this weekend and I'm wondering what I should do before I get him to the vet. Just keep soaking him? Obviously keep him off any particle substrate.
I've found a vet. I've been recommended to him by a guy I know who keeps reptiles in my area. He said he is the best here and reasonably priced. The tegu will be going to him asap as I can't leave this untreated for much longer. I just want him to be comfortable under my care until I can get him to the vet.

Kazzy, I think I know of the tegu you speak of. She contacted me over a week ago, that tegu needed to go to a vet then, waiting is not an option, he is also impacted.

Kazzy

5 Year Member
Yes, she told me she did. I'm going to make an apt. with the vet for when I get back. The poor guy :(

Kazzy

5 Year Member
Apparently he is getting worse, according to what I've been told. Poor guy :( I leave in the morning to get him.

Magik

5 Year Member
Is there nothing the vet can do?No medication to rectify the prolapse?Surgery?Anything?

Kazzy

5 Year Member
The vet up where she lives wanted the money up front and it was around $300 so she couldn't afford it. The vet here will be better. I'll be taking him there this week (need to set up appointment). The poor guy is sleeping in my lap right now wrapped in a towel. The prolapse looks awful, and he smell really bad. I think it's the prolapse. It will most likely be removed. Hopefully he'll be alright. He's very well mannered and very pretty. I'm already in love. I've already given him several baths tonight in warm water, and with vegetable oil to try and help him to no avail. I'll keep you updated.

Kazzy

5 Year Member
Well, I've been soaking her and everything. Yeah, I'm thinking female now. I'll have to worry about that later. My sister has offered to help me out with the vet bills for the tegu.
I looked closer today, after reading up on it a bit more. It's her colon that is prolapsed, and it has split open. You can see the bedding she ate, it's so sad. I don't know whether to pull out the pieces I can see, or to leave it alone. I'm calling the vet now to set up an appointment.
I also got some pics:
l_a3d66aec849b2060613398edaa13f076.jpg

l_fcf8796c849384ae01440cb94409a126.jpg

l_08bea233ad5a02c45a6a784ccf94f8fa.jpg

You can see the bedding in this one
l_cad2dcecc27688a2dab0499173933d33.jpg

I feel so bad for her :(

Kazzy

5 Year Member
Just got off the phone with the vet. I just need to keep soaking her in the warm water and the vegetable oil. She goes in to the vet tomorrow

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Dang, poor girl. As soon as I saw the pics I knew it wasn't the hemipenes. She's in good hands now. Let us know how the Vet visit went!

Kazzy

5 Year Member
I don't know what to do...it's her cloaca (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloaca">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloaca</a><!-- m -->) that is prolapsed, and the tissue is dead. Which means the vet will have to rebuild the cloaca and actually cut her open. The procedure will cost $1,000-$1,200. I don't have the money, and the vet can't take payments. They gave her a shot to help slow the spread of bacteria (what would have initially killed her) to buy me some time to come up with the money. I'm so heart broken. I'm in tears just thinking about the poor girl. I'm selling some stuff in hopes of getting the cash to help her...gah, this is just awful :'(

Kharnifex

5 Year Member
screw rebuilding, tell him to cut it off and sew it up! their has to be someone who'll fix it on the cheap!

it's sad.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I am sorry to hear about her Kazzy. Only you can decide what is right for you and her. Money is a tough situation to deal with and everyone understands where you are coming from. It is very hard but you will have to weigh the pros and cons and decide what is best not only for the tegu but for you as well. Best of luck.

Kazzy

5 Year Member
I've put a few things up for sale locally and a few friends have offered to help me a lot in this situation. If I can't get the money, or at least most of it, by this weekend then she'll have to sadly be put down =(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029