• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

uv lights

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ColdThirst said:
Well Im getting two Reptisun 10.0 bulbs that were shipped today, and also I bought two "sunlight/Full Spectrum Lights" from home depot to go with each one in the fixtures. The thing that really grinds my gears in this instance is Petco (imagine that) Their 10.0's that I went to buy there yesterday were, get this, $48.99!!!!!Each.
I was like I'm not that stupid! So I go online when I get home and TADA!!! I find a site with them for $19.99 Each and $10 shipping for both. Redicules markups make me soo mad!!!
What website? I don;t feel like searching at the moment hahah

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ColdThirst said:
Well Im getting two Reptisun 10.0 bulbs that were shipped today, and also I bought two "sunlight/Full Spectrum Lights" from home depot to go with each one in the fixtures. The thing that really grinds my gears in this instance is Petco (imagine that) Their 10.0's that I went to buy there yesterday were, get this, $48.99!!!!!Each.
I was like I'm not that stupid! So I go online when I get home and TADA!!! I find a site with them for $19.99 Each and $10 shipping for both. Redicules markups make me soo mad!!!
We do the same thing. All pet stores are such a ripoff!! We bought our ReptiSuns at a show.

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
snakehandler said:
Mike said:
DaveDragon said:
snakehandler said:
yeah, but those lamps are being used by many people here that keep large monitors with good results. so i thought maybe it would work for tegus as well.
They must put out enough UVB for them. You're a professional herper, most of us are just amateurs. We use what is sold commercially available for reptiles. Have you taken any reading with a UVB meter (SolarMeter 6.2)?? It would be interesting to see how it compares with the numbers on http://www.uvguide.co.uk/index.htm which seems to be down now.

No UVB at all in halogens. Monitors simply do not need it, it has been proven time and time again. Tegus are a different story.

I have an article here written by Don Gillespie from Kansas City Zoo.
It goes as follows: A female crocodile monitor with a lack of exposure to both UV light sources and vit d supplementaries for several years was exposed to a 300 watt flood version of Dragon llite at a 2 metre distance. After 4 months 25 hydroxy vit d levels where measured at Michigan State University. Levels were found
to be normal as compared to other varanids with exposure to normal sunlight. An additional measurement after 10 days under
a 160 watt focus spot version at 2 metres distance yielded a significant higher value of 25 hydroxy vit d.
These vit d levels along with an upgrade of this animals appetite
to include purely balanced prey items are very significant.
In addition, the colours of this animal as well as three other crocodile monitors in my collection appear very similar to that in bright sunlight.

I still don't think it's necessary for a varanid's life. Frank Retes of goanna ranch has breed countless monitors without any UVB. Robyn at proexotics also does not use UVB for monitors, or even uros or beardies. Maybe it does increase color or smaller things like that. Thanks for the article.

snakehandler

5 Year Member
Mike said:
snakehandler said:
Mike said:
DaveDragon said:
snakehandler said:
yeah, but those lamps are being used by many people here that keep large monitors with good results. so i thought maybe it would work for tegus as well.
They must put out enough UVB for them. You're a professional herper, most of us are just amateurs. We use what is sold commercially available for reptiles. Have you taken any reading with a UVB meter (SolarMeter 6.2)?? It would be interesting to see how it compares with the numbers on http://www.uvguide.co.uk/index.htm which seems to be down now.

No UVB at all in halogens. Monitors simply do not need it, it has been proven time and time again. Tegus are a different story.

I have an article here written by Don Gillespie from Kansas City Zoo.
It goes as follows: A female crocodile monitor with a lack of exposure to both UV light sources and vit d supplementaries for several years was exposed to a 300 watt flood version of Dragon llite at a 2 metre distance. After 4 months 25 hydroxy vit d levels where measured at Michigan State University. Levels were found
to be normal as compared to other varanids with exposure to normal sunlight. An additional measurement after 10 days under
a 160 watt focus spot version at 2 metres distance yielded a significant higher value of 25 hydroxy vit d.
These vit d levels along with an upgrade of this animals appetite
to include purely balanced prey items are very significant.
In addition, the colours of this animal as well as three other crocodile monitors in my collection appear very similar to that in bright sunlight.

I still don't think it's necessary for a varanid's life. Frank Retes of goanna ranch has breed countless monitors without any UVB. Robyn at proexotics also does not use UVB for monitors, or even uros or beardies. Maybe it does increase color or smaller things like that. Thanks for the article.

in my opinion all reptiles need uva. except maybe for snakes and snapping turtles. Varanids certainly need uva, altuogh maybe less
then lizards. i dont know about the conditions in goanna ranch.
but indoors they need some uva..

nat

5 Year Member
an exotic vet tech friend of mine who specializes in reptiles (not that it makes a difference, but just to show some education in the matter) warned me to be very wary of using the bulbs from hardware stores for my uva because the amount they emit is not as controlled as the bulbs manufactured for reptiles specifically. He said you could end up with a bulb that produces very little or way to much uvb and that it was best to stay away from them.

I am not saying that this is necissarily true, but it does raise a good question as to what kind of out put the halogens from hardware stores produce... and if it is dependable (or very variable).

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
CaseyUndead said:
Does anyone know if those "compact" UVB bulbs are any good?

I have never used them, I wish I could help.

As for animals that need UV, as a general rule, animals that are diurnal do, nocturnal animals do not. Animals that bask get much more from the sun than just the heat.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
CaseyUndead said:
Does anyone know if those "compact" UVB bulbs are any good?

UV Guide did a report on them. Some keepers were having health issures with their reptiles with these lights. The article can be found here <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm">http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm</a><!-- m -->
You just have to make sure you have a safe distance from the lights.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980