• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

uv lights

eddiezahra

5 Year Member
this might be a stupid question but are the flourescent bulbs sold at the local hardware store the same as the fluorescent bulbs sold in the local pet store? thanks

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Eddie, it is not stupid at all, no they are not the same. You need to use a flourescent bulb that puts out UV light.

snakehandler

5 Year Member
i found out that halogen lamps used in building sites also produce uva. That why they have protective glass. if you remove the glass it can be used in large reptile cages. this also has the advantage of producing enough light which your reptile needs.

snakehandler

5 Year Member
yeah, but those lamps are being used by many people here that keep large monitors with good results. so i thought maybe it would work for tegus as well.

eddiezahra

5 Year Member
so reptisun 10.0 thanks! i'm just in the works of the bigger cage and never needed uvb before for what was in it and the one i have is hella small for a cage this size. thanks again everyone

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
snakehandler said:
yeah, but those lamps are being used by many people here that keep large monitors with good results. so i thought maybe it would work for tegus as well.
They must put out enough UVB for them. You're a professional herper, most of us are just amateurs. We use what is sold commercially available for reptiles. Have you taken any reading with a UVB meter (SolarMeter 6.2)?? It would be interesting to see how it compares with the numbers on http://www.uvguide.co.uk/index.htm which seems to be down now.

playlboi

5 Year Member
i also heard from another professional that the UV bulbs at the hardware store works just the same as the ones sold specifically for reptiles. it's just that at the reptile store the bulbs and tagged with a brand name and cost you a fortune. but, i don't know. i have yet to test this theory.

techhousejunkie

5 Year Member
i was at home depot the other day wondering about this, in home depot some of the bulbs are 10$. How would you test something like this?

snakehandler

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
snakehandler said:
They must put out enough UVB for them. You're a professional herper, most of us are just amateurs. We use what is sold commercially available for reptiles. Have you taken any reading with a UVB meter (SolarMeter 6.2)?? It would be interesting to see how it compares with the numbers on http://www.uvguide.co.uk/index.htm which seems to be down now.

well actually i am an amateur myself who has some experience.
that's an interesting site, i'll read through it.
i got my information from experienced keepers.
unfortunately i dont have one of those meters.

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
snakehandler said:

No UVB at all in halogens. Monitors simply do not need it, it has been proven time and time again. Tegus are a different story.

COWHER

5 Year Member
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.reptileuv.com/">http://www.reptileuv.com/</a><!-- m --> good site for uv aswell

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
The Reptisun Bulbs, I the distance from the lihts to my tegu is going to be 13-14 inches. The 5.0 says it goes to 12" but the 10.0 goes to like 20" Will the 5.0 suffice, and if not, will the 10.0 be too much for him or burn his eyes or somthing?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Our Tegu's lay under the basking light, never under the ReptiSun which is next to the basking light. So they never get direct exposure. I doubt they put out enough UVB to be dangerous. A MegaRay would be a problem at that distance. Our Bearded Dragons love them but I doubt Tegu's need that much UVB. As the bulb burns in the output will drop gradually. If anyone hasn't read the info on those 2 UV sites you should. Some of the info is a little outdated but the general knowledge is good.

snakehandler

5 Year Member
Mike said:
DaveDragon said:
snakehandler said:

No UVB at all in halogens. Monitors simply do not need it, it has been proven time and time again. Tegus are a different story.

I have an article here written by Don Gillespie from Kansas City Zoo.
It goes as follows: A female crocodile monitor with a lack of exposure to both UV light sources and vit d supplementaries for several years was exposed to a 300 watt flood version of Dragon llite at a 2 metre distance. After 4 months 25 hydroxy vit d levels where measured at Michigan State University. Levels were found
to be normal as compared to other varanids with exposure to normal sunlight. An additional measurement after 10 days under
a 160 watt focus spot version at 2 metres distance yielded a significant higher value of 25 hydroxy vit d.
These vit d levels along with an upgrade of this animals appetite
to include purely balanced prey items are very significant.
In addition, the colours of this animal as well as three other crocodile monitors in my collection appear very similar to that in bright sunlight.

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
Well Im getting two Reptisun 10.0 bulbs that were shipped today, and also I bought two "sunlight/Full Spectrum Lights" from home depot to go with each one in the fixtures. The thing that really grinds my gears in this instance is Petco (imagine that) Their 10.0's that I went to buy there yesterday were, get this, $48.99!!!!!Each.
I was like I'm not that stupid! So I go online when I get home and TADA!!! I find a site with them for $19.99 Each and $10 shipping for both. Redicules markups make me soo mad!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980