• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Update pictures of my patternless yearlings

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
This is some pictures of my patternless yearlings.

Patternless3.jpg

Patternless2.jpg

Patternless.jpg

DSCN3864.jpg

DSCN3865.jpg

DSCN3866.jpg

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Wow, that's pretty cool! I didn't realize that you could breed for that trait. How many generations did it take to produce them?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
DZLife said:
Wow, that's pretty cool! I didn't realize that you could breed for that trait. How many generations did it take to produce them?

These were bred to have the reduced pattern by breeding two adults that had less pattern. Then I held back the ones with the most reduced patterns. They are now almost one year old.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
DZLife said:

These were bred to have the reduced pattern by breeding two adults that had less pattern. Then I held back the ones with the most reduced patterns. They are now almost one year old.

It's really cool that you have sometime like tegus that you truly enjoy to dedicate your time to :)

We all need to find something like that.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks guys!! I hope to prove them out in a few years, we will just need to wait and see if they can be reproduced.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Look at em now!! One started shedding today:

Attachments

• DSCN4986.JPG
    512 bytes · Views: 3
  • DSCN5006.JPG
  • DSCN5115.JPG
  • DSCN5119.JPG
  • DSCN5118.JPG
  • DSCN5143.JPG
    512 bytes · Views: 4

ZEKE

5 Year Member
those are awesome looking! i have a question though... how are those patternless? they look like they have a lot of pattern to me.

DaRealJoker

5 Year Member
They are not quite paternless Zeke, you're right.If you are new to this well what's going on is they are being matched in a way to breed out the patern. They will at some point become all one colour or another. This is a selective breeding process that is really common. What has to be watched is that they are only bred out of pattern and not made into albinos. An albino is a handicapped animal, lacking in skin pigments and usually affects the colour spectrum th albinos eye is capable of seeing. Since they are the first in their sub-species to be bred in this manner they can be called paternless.

ZEKE

5 Year Member
oh okay. i am kinda new to selective breeding. when i hear patternless i think of something that has no pattern, all one color.

i think i understand what you mean now though. these are the start of a patternless project, they arent patternless but when bred together the babies will start to have less and less pattern right?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me